What's new

the worst things to happen to music (1 Viewer)

Julia

Stunt Coordinator
Which of these do you think is the worst of the worst? http://www.blender.com/guide/article...=1913&src=GM18 I think we can count #39 (AIDS) out because that was obviously worst for more than just music. I totally disagree with #5 (ecstasy) because I think that before that no one bothered to think of music as something to trance dance to, and that having that opportunity outweighs the 75% of electronic music folk who aren’t really musicians.

Nomo

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
Grunge.
Aside from wiping out a few pretty pathetic hair bands I've never found much redeaming value in the early 90' stuff.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say U2 the past few years. Especially nailing the coffin in the "we sold out" crowd with:

A) The U2 iPod.
B) That dude with Green Day which is a band a (censored) hate.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
Okay Mark... you nearly made a GOOD point. If it wasn't for American Idol then Bo Bice would never of been discovered. He's actually pretty decent.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I actually like Kelly Clarkson, but IMHO, American Idol is a disgrace to the music industry.

Speaking of the Music Industry, can we add the RIAA to the list of worst things to happen to music??? :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm sliding off topic but I agree with Chris Rock's bit about whatever music you liked when you first started getting laid is the music that you'll always love. People always think that what's happening now in music isn't as good as it was before but I think that at any time, there's always crap and there's always great music. Unfortunately thanks to today's music industry, the crap is much more high profile and the great stuff is tougher to find.

I love Blender's points about Scott Stap, braided goatees and whitey. :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Wow, there is 5 minutes of my life I'm never getting back.

I'd say the worst thing to happen to music is Blender magazine.

- Steve

keenthegod

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Keenan
The worse thing is the mastering!! Everything else is irrelevant bacause there will always be good music. It's a shame nowadays that 99.9% of music SOUND AWFUL AND COMPRESSED!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Rolling Stone magazine

Maybe not so much back a couple of decades ago, but now.......

dberthia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
IMHO, it is mega-corporations owning radio stations. Playlists are pay-for-play, guaranteeing you'll only hear the safe, marketable artists on the radio. The days of a DJ putting something on the air just because he liked it are long gone. There are so many fantastic artists out there who nobody will ever hear of because they couldn't get any buzz on the airwaves. We can weep about the state of music today, but there ARE great artists out there if you're willing to do a little digging to find them. You just can't hear them on the radio anymore.

Oh yeah, rap is a close #2.

P.S. Here are a few great artists I've discovered through some detective work:
- The Decemberists
- Jeremy Enigk
- Bleu
- The Dissociatives
- The Sleepy Jackson
- Sufjan Stevens

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
There's an Internet radio station (woxy.com) that used to broadcast in southwest Ohio. They started broadcasting on the Internet in 1998 and went Internet-only in 2004. It's my primary source for discovering music.

Sorry for the thread fart. :P

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The untimely deaths of Jimi Hendrix, John Bonham, Mama Cass, Keith Moon, Jim Morrison, Stevie Ray Vaughn, John Lennon, Duane Allman, Ronnie Van Zant (along with Steve Gaines and Cassie Gaines), Jam Master Jay, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and so many others.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The first item on the list is Sgt. Pepper, and they aren't talking about the movie!

In the long, proud history of astonishingly stupid "too lazy to write a real article" magazine lists, this one occupies a true position of (dis)honor. Oy!

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
Here are mine:

28. The Disappearance of Independent Record Stores
21. Nearly Every Hip-Hop Video
12. Kevin Federline

I would also like to 2nd American Idol and any of the other "Reality" shows trying to throw a band together. Also, boy groups. They are and were prefabricated to make easy money from adoring fans and adding nothing to the musical landscape. IMHO of course.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
This is sensationalist writing, not to be taken seriously and designed for the sole purpose of promoting Blender magazine.

Julia

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I agree with you 100%. What's worse - most people are listening to MP3's.... people keep telling me that I can't hear the difference, that there are levels of compression that are indistinguishable, blah blah... I know what my ears know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks