What's new

Need opinion, Def Tech pro-cinema 80, Paradigm cinema. 90 or Klipsch Quintet III?? (1 Viewer)

Randy123

Agent
Real Name
Randy
I need to "downsize" my speaker system. I currently have the Def Tech towers (BP10), 2002 center, 12" powered sub, BP2x surrounds, but they no longer fit in with everything else....just too big. I like the Def Tech sound, especially the bi-polar towers, but am open to trying something new such as the Klipsch or Paradigm. I am considering the three sub.sat systems named above. My viewing area is 15x20 but the entire room is 15x30 if that helps.

I would primarily use this for movies, very little music listening. I appreciate your opinions on this.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
None of those sets of speakers is really going to fill a room that large. My room is roughly that large also and I could not see going with speakers in that size range to fill it. To be honest, I was rather unimpressed with the DT ProCinemas. What exactly is your price range?

How about the SVS SBS-01 5.0 package? Maybe an Onyx X-LS 5.0 package or a set of HSU HB-1s?

www.svsound.com www.av123.com www.hsuresearch.com

Randy123

Agent
Real Name
Randy
Thanks John. That is what I was afraid of. I had thought about trying the Def Tech's 100's and keeping my powered sub if I can fit it in. I would like to stay under $800. The problem with the other brands you mentioned is that I don't have a dealer close by to audition them. I live in po-dunck usa. The brands I mentioned are what I have local access to. I would love to listen to Energy's Take 5 from what I've read about them, but the closest dealer is 3 hours away. Bummer.

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
I had the procinema 100's for 4 years in a 19 x 21 room and they did fantastic for movies as well as HT.I had them with a 200tl def.tech sub.and the c1 center(not the 100 center).I also still have the take 5 in another room and they are no match for the def.tech's.You can go with the 100's or 200's.Just connect them the way def.tech(chet) recommends.I think they are a very good sub/sat system.My .02.

Randy123

Agent
Real Name
Randy
That sounds promising Ricky. I am surprised to hear that the Procinema 100's outperformed the Take 5's from everything that I've read about them. I would to simply replace my two towers with the Def Tech Studio Monitor 350's if there is enough room in the entertainment center but I need something small for the surrounds.

Having said all of this, I may still need to go really small in that room, perhaps even smaller than the 100's. That is why I made my original post, to get opinions about the three sat systems. All other suggestions welcome. :)

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
The studio monitors would probably be ideal since they can be placed in an entertainment center/wall unit.But if the small speakers are only for surround duty then any of the procinema's like the 80's/60's would probably do.I never heard the studio monitors but i read they are very good especially for what you intend to do.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Randy

I agree with John Garcia. I would seriously consider the HSU series. The HB-1 and HC-1.

http://www.hsustore.com/hb-1.html

See the Forum section for additional information on the HC-1. Also note that these speakers are at an introductory price.

Randy123

Agent
Real Name
Randy
Thanks for the input Arthur. I've never listened to the speakers you suggested. I guess I'm hesitant to buy something without being able to listen to them first. Do many people buy speakers without trying them out first? Anyone??

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Randy

Most people are buying their subwoofers without hearing them first, and a lot of people are buying all of their speakers from on-line sources like AV123, Axiom, SVS, etc., etc.

I have bought several pairs of speakers without listening to them first. If you read enough about them you can get a reasonable ideal of their suitability for your purposes.

For a primarily movies system, the differences are not that great. Those who have heard the HSU HB-1 at high-end audio shows have been pretty impressed. The reviews on the HSU web site for the HB-1 are very positive. If I didn't have all my speakers, I would jump on the HB-1 at the introductory price.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Basically all of the internet direct companies have a liberal return policy that allows you to audition in home for a period. I did it and I ended up loving the speakers I auditioned and bought some.

Randy123

Agent
Real Name
Randy
Thanks everyone for your input. I like what I have read about the HB-1's. I will probably either go that route or if I can manage to make my DT center speaker and powered sub "fit in", I may consider just replacing my towers with the DT Pro 100's and using procinema 60's for surround. I was just hoping to be able to go even smaller than the DT 100's or the HB-1's without sacraficing too much on sound. Doesn't sound like that is doable though in a room my size.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Randy

Anything that is a standout at a high-end audio show should be more than capable of filling your room as long as you cross them over to your powered subwoofer at about 80Hz. I just wish I had a real need for the HB-1s.

I have a pair of HSU VTF-3HOs with TurboChargers and I would really like their MBM and 3 HB-1s, but I have enough speakers...

Happy Holidays

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Well definately don't go with the Paradigm Cinema 90. Though I liked it better than the quintets, I would not use the paradigm in a room that large.

Why are you not looking at in Wall speakers? I would think speakercraft would have something in your range that would out pace, or keep up with these speakers.

Randy123

Agent
Real Name
Randy
Hi Trey,

Thanks for your input on the Paradigm 90's.

I would rather not get into the hassle of in-wall speakers. I want to be more flexible also to be able to change things around a bit. Maybe in-wall for the rear might be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks