Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Joseph Barbera (1911-2006) RIP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted December 18 2006 - 11:39 AM

"Joe Barbera, half of the Hanna-Barbera animation team that produced such beloved cartoon characters as Tom and Jerry, Yogi Bear and the Flintstones, died Monday, a Warner Bros. spokesman said. He was 95.

Barbera died of natural causes at his home with his wife Sheila at his side, Warner Bros. spokesman Gary Miereanu said.
"

I don't think anyone had a more profound impact on my childhood than William Hanna & Joseph Barbera except for maybe Jim Henson. Their shows gave me endless hours of entertainment that still entertain me to this day and for a long time into the future. Scooby-dooby-doo!

RIP, Mr. Barbera. Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,197 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 18 2006 - 01:33 PM

Posted Image
facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,182 posts

Posted December 19 2006 - 02:01 AM

I grew up watching H-B cartoons, part of what made Saturday mornings so great in the 80's and early 90's.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted December 21 2006 - 04:15 PM

RIP Mr. Barbera.

There are SO many things the cartoons you and Mr. Hannah created that were a real source of joy for me!

When facing a confusing situation, I still remember, (though I haven't seen the 'toons in such a long time!) the line from the Quick Draw McGraw cartoon about being "perpluxed and pezzled." Explaining that to friends gets a LOT of laughs, and a lot of discussions about the good old days of cartoons.

I have a friend who is losing his father by inches to Alzheimer's, and my friend's feelings of loyalty to his dad are summed up best by Augie Doggie's line about "my only-est father."

I still laugh hysterically at the Tom and Jerry cartoon, The Flying Cat - it was the expression on Jerry's face as he is trying to convey to his canary buddy that Tom is ACTUALLY flying. Actually, I always loved how expressive Tom and Jerry both were, and I understand that it was based on the facial expressions of you and Mr. Hannah acting out the scenes to help the animators.

About the only thing I dislike about the Tom and Jerry cartoons these days are the deletions of the scenes of the African American lady of the house - call me dumb, but since there were never ANY depictions of white home owners giving her orders to keep house, I was ALWAYS, even as a young girl, convinced that she owned that house, and was just a neat freak like my Aunt Gloria. For years, I thought Hannah-Barbera were WAY ahead of their time in depicting a minority woman as the owner of her own house, setting her own rules, in a time when even white women were not depicted as queens of their own domains.

Again, Mr. Barbera, Rest in Peace - you were one in a million!
The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,182 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 04:05 AM

Quote:
About the only thing I dislike about the Tom and Jerry cartoons these days are the deletions of the scenes of the African American lady of the house

I think it had more to do with the fact that she mis-spelled "out", spelling it "O-W-T". I was talking with one African-American woman, and she resented the cartoon because of that, thinking it was racist.

I also remember Fred Flintstone spelling it wrong as well.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)