Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Best DVD version of Santa Fe Trail?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 05:12 AM

This film is in the public domain and as such has been released from various companies. Almost all of them are quite inexpensive though and DVDcompare.net has squat regarding them. I've already ordered the Diamond Group Entertainment release for only $1.71 from DVDPacific.com... Any suggestions?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 08:38 AM

i hate PD titles. I could wait until Warners releases it
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 09:51 AM

I'll just make due with the version I ordered until Warners gets around to releasing it. For about $1.75 it's no big loss. Give me a Warner release anyday...

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Richard Stammer

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts
  • LocationSarasota, Florida

Posted December 17 2006 - 01:53 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath waitng for Warners to release this. For some strange reason, Warners never even released an official version on VHS. There was a thread here several years ago that pointed to a terrific DVD version. I got it and it is great. I have compared it to Turner Home Movies' broadcast which is quite good and they look identical. It was put out by MARENGOFILMS.COM on a double bill with Abilene Town. I just checked and it is still available on their website. I'm a big Flynn fan and you can't go wrong with this transfer. Compared to all the other PD transfers, this one sparkles.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   JeffO

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted December 20 2006 - 01:02 AM

I'll second the acceptability of the Marengo edition. I'm not an expert at rating audio and visual quality, but the Marengo edition didn't have any visual or audio defects that made me take notice.
TV DVDs wanted: TJ Hooker (seasons 3-5), The Fall Guy (Seasons 2-5), Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Father Dowling Mysteries, Queen of Swords, Smurfs, and Charlemagne (1994 TV miniseries)

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted December 20 2006 - 03:54 AM

Is the Marengo version available in stores? I'm assuming it's available in retail outlets such as Suncoast, Wherehouse, MAYBE Circuit City and perhaps at Borders. There aren't any Best Buy's around me for at least 60 miles methinks. Next time I'm in Suncoast or Wherehouse I'll have them look it up. The edition I'm buying is practically a steal at only $1.71. I'm also assuming it'll be "stored" under the public domain titles in the stores.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users