Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Watching Movies on Home Video

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,263 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 12:21 AM

Last night NBC had their annual showing of the 1946 Classic IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. The film ran from 8:00 PM (EST) to 11:00 (EST).
Naturally, I watched my own copy of the movie at the same time they started their version, and when the film was over the Version NBC was showing had nearly an hour to go. (Which is why I watched my copy instead of their Commercial-Crammed Version Posted Image )

I have to ask, this Question; Does anyone else do the same thing I do? Do you break out your Copy of a Movie and watch it at the same time a Network shows their version just so you can Posted Image "Stick it in their Face" Posted Image by watching your Uncut, Commercial-Free Version of the Movie while they do just the opposite?

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus
Last night NBC had their annual showing of the 1946 Classic IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. The film ran from 8:00 PM (EST) to 11:00 (EST).
Naturally, I watched my own copy of the movie at the same time they started their version, and when the film was over the Version NBC was showing had nearly an hour to go. (Which is why I watched my copy instead of their Commercial-Crammed Version Posted Image )
Yeah, but once you take in account for all the loading, FBI warnings, Set up, and menu navigation, it's almost quicker to just watch TV. Posted Image

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 07:16 AM

I used to do that all the time - not so much because of commercials, but the edited content issue annoys me.

I did that last Saturday with The Grinch, which at 1 hour and 45 minutes, was still edited for time. The HD broadcast didn't look all that different from the DVD.

I did that a couple of times with some ANGEL episodes - seeing the post-season 3 cropped to full screen syndicated broadcasts had me reaching for my DVDs in record time.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,263 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 12:54 PM

Mr Hastings, My Version of IAWL is VHS, so I just zip through that legal Gobbledeygook. Posted Image (I could buy it on DVD, but as long as my VHS tapes are still good I continue to use them.) You know what they say, "If it ain't Broke, DONT FIX IT!" Posted Image

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus
Mr Hastings, My Version of IAWL is VHS, so I just zip through that legal Gobbledeygook. Posted Image (I could buy it on DVD, but as long as my VHS tapes are still good I continue to use them.) You know what they say, "If it ain't Broke, DONT FIX IT!" Posted Image
LOL - That's great! Most definitely the one aspect of VHS that I miss. Posted Image

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,263 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 10:11 PM

On the other hand, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REWIND a DVD! Posted Image

(Funny how it often seems two factors cancel each other out!) Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow