What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion - Anime Fans' Discussion (1 Viewer)

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Ok, let's continue the old thread here.
I think we ended with someone (I think it was me :)) asking about the Neon Genesis Evangelion dub, which never got answered by the way
wink.gif
, and a little discussion on Outlaw Star.
Since this is a new thread, I'll repost my own ULTIMATE ANIME LIST...or at least from what I've seen so far.
AMAZING
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Macross Plus
Princess Mononoke (anything by Miyazaki for that matter)
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
GOOD
Gundam Wing
Ninja Scroll
------------------
I am Jack's Signature
"I find the most erotic part of a woman is the boobies..."

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
What exactly was the question about Eva's dub?
Don't forget, Superdimensional Fortress Macross, Space Battleship Yamato, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Captain Harlock, and Galaxy Express 999 to the list of "amazing"
To bad only one of them is going to be available unadulterated

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to add Record of Lodoss War to that list. Oh! And Serial Experiments: Lain! Really freaky in a Twilight Zone/Twin Peaks kind of way. I'm still halfway through the second disc.
------------------
Support the Home Theater Forum -- Link Removed

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
The question about the Eva dub was basically if it was a decent dub, not only in voice acting but also as regards to any MAJOR perversions of the script.
Record of Lodoss War, Serial Experiments: Lain, and Macross are all shows that I plan on getting. That list is based on animes I've already seen/bought.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The dub sucks major ass, I haven't been able to listen to it long enough to ascertain whether or not it perverts the script. Listen to the Japanese track

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I just checked out the English dub and I was a bit...underwhelmed I guess you could say. I'm going to check out the Japanese track as soon as I finish this post.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I'm really hooked on this series (Evangelion), I can't get enough of it. I was wondering though, I read on a few websites that the last two eps are basically just still shots and re-used animation from earlier shots because they ran out of money at that point. And supposedly that's why they made the two movies.
I know the two movies take place immediately following the 24th episode, so should I not even bother watching the final two episodes and just wait for the two movies to come out in October?
Am I the only one who thinks I'm a bit weird for basically being the only poster in my own thread? :)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Watch the final two episodes. While there are a large number of still shots, the episodes are done in a very psychological way that really works.
The episodes left my wife and I wondering what the hell had just happened. The movies do go and add and clarify with a higher budget, but the TV series episodes are must-see's.
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Thanks Chris. I was really hoping that that would be the case, because I wasn't too excited about the prospect of waiting until October to see the "real" ending when the movies come out.
I have a few more questions for you anime afficionados. I'll just number them, it'll be easier this way
wink.gif

1.) How is the animation of Record of Lodoss War: OVA compared to the TV series, and how are both seen if viewed by today's standards (i.e. do they look dated)?
2.) How does the animation of Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz compare to the animation of the 49 episode series. I know they had a higher budget for that movie (OVA?) so I was wondering if it shows.
3.) Does anyone have a list of the animes Megumi Hayashibara has worked on? I know she plays Rei in Evangelion and Faye Valentine in Cowboy Bebop. From what I can tell she has a huge fan base and I just wanted to see if she lives up to all the hype :)
Once again, I can't thank you guys enough for helping me out. Hopefully these will be the last questions I ask...for today at least.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Kevin_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
OK, who has a great Anime review site (not neccessarily for DVD only) that has the key: PICTURES.
For me, the most important thing is that I like the art. THEN I worry about the other stuff. Of course I am an extreme newbie, having only seen Akira and GITS but I'm ready to try more.
Screen grabs? Images? Reviws?
A web site somewhere?
------------------
They mostly come at night. Mostly... - Newt
DVD Collection

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
Last night I got around to watching Black Jack. I think of all the anime I've watched I actually liked this best (except Akira). Don't hear much about it but it's a great dvd (5.1 sound/picture). I also liked Cowboy Bebop quite a lot.

Abbott

Auditioning
hey there,
i also like to look at screen captures of anime dvds before i pull the trigger. i can also get a general sense of the series from the artwork.
for anime dvd reviews, i goto animeondvd
for pictures, i goto the anime emporium
hope this helps!
abb

Wouter Heyse

Agent
What can I say? I am a sucker for fan-service (I do like H too, but let's keep the truly perverse out of it, shall we :)). And I am pretty impressed by the package that Aika delivers. If this was a mainstream title it would sell pretty well, I think.
On a more mainstream note. Revolutionary Girl: Utena, Eva, Macross, El Hazard and Project A-Ko spring to mind (and don't forget the upcoming Akira release).
Wings of the Honneamise is the last recommendation, only problem being that the DVD quality is truly sub-par unless you get the R2 release. Still, the quality of the content is superb, one of the must-see Anime movies out there.
------------------
Wouter Heyse
"I'M INVINCIBLE!!!!"
"You're a loony."

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
I know the two movies take place immediately following the 24th episode, so should I not even bother watching the final two episodes and just wait for the two movies to come out in October?
From what I've heard, one of the movies tells the story of the last two episodes from a different perspective. There's no reason why you should not watch the last two episodes as soon as the DVD arrives.
Oh, and for a list of Megumi Hayashibara's voice work, try Link Removed
------------------
Support the Home Theater Forum -- Link Removed

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info on the last two Eva eps guys. I forgot to add a section to my ULTIMATE ANIME LIST(
wink.gif
):
OVERHYPED
Vampire Hunter D
I can't understand why anyone would like that anime. Shallow storyline + extremely dated animation = POS
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Ok, I got my third question answered already. But how about my other two :) Just in case you potential posters are too tired (or lazy
wink.gif
) to scroll up I'll recopy my questions here:
1.) How is the animation of Record of Lodoss War: OVA compared to the TV series, and how are both seen if viewed by today's standards (i.e. do they look dated)?
2.) How does the animation of Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz compare to the animation of the 49 episode series. I know they had a higher budget for that movie (OVA?) so I was wondering if it shows.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I have yet to see the Lodoss TV series, but I have seen and own the 13 episode OVA. It does look somewhat dated, but I didn't have any problems with it at all. I got so into the story, I didn't have time to look for problems with the animation.
As for GW:EW, the animation is slightly better then in the TV series...but not by much IMO. It just has a more "clean" look to it.
Hope these short answers are of some help to you.
Andrew
------------------
My Growing DVD Collection
ICQ# 69241437

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I still don't know why new anime fans think old anime is like "dated". It's like saying such classic movies as being "dated" and not worth watching or overhyped because it was so good...blah blah blah.
Vampire Hunter D was released back in the late 80's...I believe '87, and is such a great gothic storytale of its year. Following in its trend was a slew of gothic storytelling anime that followed suit. That is why old-time anime fans, like myself, have always adored Vampire Hunter D because it helped set a new trend in the anime genre. Like Akira and Ghost in the Shell and many other movies, they set new trends in the anime community. New trends are being formed like last-year's anime movie, Blood: The Last Vampire, which is now available on R2 DVD, and will be avaialbe on R1 DVD released by Manga Entertainment, is setting a new trend in the anime community by incorporating almost flawless CG-animation with hand-drawn animation, and giving a 80's anime style of storytelling. These movies are highly regarded by the anime community purists as avant-garde, and which is why they are recommended heavily by most anime fans.
Vampire Hunter D is a great anime movie, with character designs by Yoshitaka Amano, who is best known for his gothic illustrations (kinda like H.R. Giger is with his "alien" designs) and character designs for great movies and series. The new Vampire Hunter D movie coming out soon is actually a continuation/retelling of the old movie (kinda like how Evil Dead 2 is a continuation/retelling of The Evil Dead movie). This movie contains the newer anime ink (which is mostly computer drawn and filled). The original Vampire Hunter D is purely hand drawn and inked which gives a more pure animated look, rather than the new computer look of new anime series and movies.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I still don't know why new anime fans think old anime is like "dated". It's like saying such classic movies as being "dated" and not worth watching or overhyped because it was so good...blah blah blah.
People think old anime looks "dated" because it does. Plain and simple. It looks old because it is old. Same with any regular movie. They look dated because they are.
Now, if someone says it "sucks" because it looks that way, then that's another story altogether. That's how a lot of my friends think, so I just don't watch anime with them anymore.
Andrew
------------------
My Growing DVD Collection
ICQ# 69241437

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
But dated has a negative connotation as being "bad" by new anime fans. Just want to make it clear that "dated" != "bad".
KC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks