What's new

Going From 5.1 to 7.1 is there a difference? (1 Viewer)

Don K

Agent
When I set up my 5.1 speaker system, when I was remodeling, I also placed additional speaker wires in case I ever wanted side speakers for a 7.1 system. I am in the process of replacing my 5.1 AV with a new 7.1 Pioneer Elite so the question is again is it really worth going to 7 speakers. Would like to know from people that have gone form 5 to 7 speakers and get their opinion. From the few that I could search out it was even, one saying it didn't make any difference to one saying he was quite happy with the results.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
speakers 4 & 5 are the side speakers. 6 & 7 go behind you.

Aside from that: You certain can't do any worse for using 7 speakers, whats the worst that could happen? They'll remain quiet during some of the movie?

steveKlein

Agent
i would say that going from mono to stereo is kind of a big deal. going from stereo to 5.1 is a HUGE upgrade. going from 5.1 to 7.1 is a lot less of a big deal, but still could enhance your experience (but don't expect to be blown away like going from 2.0 --> 5.1)

this analogy might work: vhs ---> dvd (2.0 ... -> 5.1) and then dvd ---> blu-ray (5.1 ---> 7.1)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
From what I've read around here over the years, it seems to be "the bigger the room the bigger the improvement". I'd like to try 7.1 but don't feel my room is large enough (sigh).

mojomike

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
The difference is very content dependent. Some movies like the Star Wars releases of recent years are actually coded for it and certain stuff like flyovers seem to benefit, but the improvement is subtle.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
The bigger the room the better and the above post about multiple rows is right on. Here's the thing start looking at your movie collection, start looking at the specs on the back. What you will find is 5.1 is the norm, 6.1 is rare and 7.1 in non exisistent (yes even in Star Wars which is 6.1). With a 5.1 movie and a 7.1 set up the receiver is doing all the work and makes phantom channels. Mastering in 7.1 takes would take a lot of precious space on a 4.7gig DVD which is why its not done. Now with HDDVD and Bluray we might start seeing 7.1 but as of yet its still a ways off.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Oops! Just checked my Star Wars collection and they are 5.1 not even 6.1!!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The sixth channel is matrixed (just like the center and mono surround are matrixed into a 2.0 LT/RT track) into the rear two so it is a 6.1 of sort.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the minority, but I went from 5.1 to 7.1 and I found the rear soundfield to be distracting / too much in 7.1 (Dolby ES / DTS EX). I went back to 5.1 and am happier with it.

djsHTnut

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
I tried 6.1 and also found it to be bothersome. I went back to 5.1 and sounded much better. At least for now I feel 5.1 is better because that is what it is produced in.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Like a few of the above posters have mentioned, it really depends on several things. #1 being your room then equipment and so forth down the line. Again its not all that giddy like going from even straight old dolby to the newer dolby. (Even the EX). But you never know until you try.

I have a long and narrow big room that does double duty for a family room but really is set up more like a HT. (I like being on the same floor as the family and others when they stop by so I prefer not to have a dedicated theater but mine is set up better than some dedicated ones people have done) I too wanted to try 7.1 when I made a processor change that had 7.1 just to try it. Had to buy a couple more amps but what the heck. I wound up getting some good speakers (Non dipole for the rears). My leather couch which is also around the sweet spot backs up within 15" from the back wall with a picture window above it. I have the window sealed and also a nice heavy duty drape over it. Can't put the speakers above unless you pointed them straight down, plus it would look weird.

So here is what I did. I bought some speaker stands that are only 16 inches off the floor and put the speakers facing straight up jut past the ends of the couch. Actually 1/3 of the speaker is behind the couch. It traps the sound a bit making the other side of the couch to hear the opposite side speaker when needed and vice versa. Had to up the volume notch on these speakers 2 higher that what the calibration thing said to do and it works great. There is not a whole lot that goes through these speakers and I way overspent on what I put there but it does sound good. Also took the covers off and got some thin but strong plastic thats like a mesh and cut it to protect the speakers incase something fell on them and put the covers back over them. Won't stop any water from getting in there but I should not have that problem where they are at. Anyway works for me.
Mike

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
7.1 is not an insignificant improvement.

6.1 one should avoid. Always try to use a 7.1 array, even in a 6.1 processing environment.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Definantly not like going from bookshelves to floor standers up front but there is a slight noticable difference. I say if you have the money and can figure out a way to put the speakers. They can be small as they are not used that much but it is kind of neat. Still though I would rather have a great 5.1 than a crappy 7.1 anyday.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I have a 7.1 one set up and enjoy it immensely. There are so many variables involved from the size of the room to speakers to arrangement to amplifier/processor that your mileage will vary greatly. With my current setup, I will never go back to 5.1. The sound field is truly impressive. Will you have the same results? Possibly. But it will probably be either better or worse (again, due to the many variables involved). An expensive experiment perhaps, but you will have to try it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks