Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Don't buy the Fantasia DVD unless you want to waste money.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
121 replies to this topic

#121 of 122 Ben Motley

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted May 28 2001 - 08:26 PM

Oh you've got my support Carl. The only reason Lucas gets to do this is that he was smart enough to buy Star Wars back from Twentieth-Century Fox in '77. Sure, other directors get to release "director's cuts" all the time, but they don't have the power to shelve the original releases because those are owned by studios, or other individuals. At what point do we have the right to tell a filmmaker, or an artist of any sort for that matter, that they cannot change their works? At the point of change of ownership, plain and simple.

------------------
M. Hyde

#122 of 122 Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor

• 637 posts

Posted May 28 2001 - 10:11 PM

quote:

To me it seems more than a little arrogant that some believe there is a point where the artist is no longer allowed to modify their art without our approval.

That would not be me, I believe that believe there is a point where the artist is no longer allowed to modify their art PERIOD! Approval? How arrogant to think anyone can grant that approval. I speak as an artist. One that has made a living as one all his life.

My work is complete when I sign it. I no longer should alter it. If Lucas didnt own Star Wars and Fox altered it he would throw a tizzy fit claiming his "art" had been compromised (rightly so). He should live by the same rules. Who "owns" the art (creator or not) has no bering.

Ownership of a thing does not excuse alteration of an idea. I (as an artist) should create something new or retire.

quote:

Someone explain to me why we get to say to Lucus, Spielberg or Disney, "stop, you may no longer modify your movie"

We dont, all we can control is our own integrity. I would never suggest that they cannot alter a "movie". My objection is when they call the movie art and then proceed to "enhance" the art (by addition or subtraction).

Yes I am arrogant, and I have artistic integrity. Let the others do as they want...my opinion of them stands. (as if they care) My solution is a simple one....if it is modified after it is signed (released) it ceases to be art and so is entitled to none of the respect true art commands. In my opinion of course, your mileage may vary. Posted Image

So....you can modify it all you want but dont call it art anymore....for it is not.

Mike