Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Greatest Christmas Movies (2006 Edition)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#41 of 56 SteveJKo

SteveJKo

Second Unit

• 368 posts

Posted December 20 2006 - 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyFraser
Has anybody seen/does anybody enjoy "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Special?" Or is that older than anybody here?

It's not older than me. I remember loving it as a kid, though I haven't seen it in decades.
You're In The Show With Todd-AO!

#42 of 56 Marianne

Marianne

Supporting Actor

• 855 posts

Posted December 20 2006 - 02:20 AM

Not saying they're the greatest, just the ones I try to see each year.

In no particular order:
White Christmas
Bad Santa
Little Women (1949)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Scrooge (1951)
Scrooged
Blackadder's Christmas Carol

#43 of 56 Brandon_T

Brandon_T

Screenwriter

• 1,900 posts

Posted December 20 2006 - 02:37 AM

Hey, I remember Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. Of course I love Charlie Browns Christmas, and I remember from when I was a kid, Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas. Haven't seen that in forever. Also A Christmas Story is an annual favorite.

#44 of 56 Marianne

Marianne

Supporting Actor

• 855 posts

Posted December 20 2006 - 02:55 AM

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol was on TV last night - can't remember which channel.

#45 of 56 Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted December 20 2006 - 03:26 AM

definitely Scrooged - every year

Also Die Hard - it is the Christmas action movie

I like Bad Santa - but you can watch that anytime of the year
HD DVD in the house

#46 of 56 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,490 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted December 20 2006 - 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne
Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol was on TV last night - can't remember which channel.
It's on DVD, too. I just picked it up last week and watched it.

Forgot about "Garfield Christmas". I think I might even have it on DVD somewhere in the collection.

Oh, and I would warn everyone to avoid the new Looney Tunes christmas DVD: "Bah, Humduck." It was extremely disappointing.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#47 of 56 Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn

Second Unit

• 354 posts
  • LocationNorth Conway, NH

Posted December 22 2006 - 01:38 PM

Posted Image

Gremlins is definately my favorite non-traditional Christmas movie! I hadn't watched it for a couple of years and just played it last night; laughed my ass off! I can't believe this film is over 25 years old. I remember seeing this in the theater when it came out, and laughing my ass off then too! Posted Image

Love the bar scene and the movie theater scene as well:

Kate: "What're they doing?"
Billy Peltzer: "They're watching Snow White. And they love it."

You got to love cameo appearences by Robby The Robot, Steven Speilberg, and Chuch Jones. Did I mention Phoebe Cates co-stars? YUM YUM Posted Image

Jean Louise, Jean Louise stand up; Your father's passing.

#48 of 56 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted December 22 2006 - 09:52 PM

Patty, Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol has been one of my favorite's since I was a kid. I had it on vhs and then got the dvd several years ago.

#49 of 56 Claire Panke

Claire Panke

Second Unit

• 409 posts

Posted December 26 2006 - 04:36 PM

I know it's after Christmas but it's still the holiday season so here are my favorite Xmas themes movies:

LIVE ACTION

*The Bishop's Wife (Cary Grant AND David Niven, plus a radiant Loretta Young)
*Miracle on 34th Street (Wears much better for me than the overrated It's A Wonderful Life)
*Holiday Inn (Astaire & Crosby & the original debut of the song White Christmas, plus a couple of amazing dance sequenbces from Fred)
*The Lion In Winter (Equal parts exhilerating and exhausting but man, what a cast!)
*Scrooge (Alistair Sim is the best in this role ever, fully conveying how Scrooge is not a bad man redeemed, but a good man gone sour restored to his former self)

ANIMATED

*A Nightmare before Christmas
*A Charlie Brown Christmas
*Ceature Comforts 12 Days of CHristmas (I know, I know, technically it's a short - but I still LOVE IT)

I regret to sadmit I don't recall seeing Mr. McGoo's Christmas, although I'm sure (at my advanced age) that I must have seen it sometime during my childhood.

#50 of 56 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted December 26 2006 - 04:50 PM

1. Miracle on 34th Street (a film so powerful to the culture that one can still "feel" the movie when visiting the streets of NYC.)

2. It's A Wonderful Life

3. White Christmas (love Rosemary in this)

4. Holiday Inn

5. The Bells of St. Mary's

As far as Television Specials, my love for Rankin/Bass goes without saying!

#51 of 56 PattyFraser

PattyFraser

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted December 26 2006 - 05:52 PM

Claire, give me a call, come over, and we'll watch the Magoo Christmas Special together, cause I have it on disc. I don't think I've seen you since we celebrated the LotR sweep at the Greenbriar together.

I did watch the theatrical version of Fanny and Alexander while wrapping presents. I just didn't have 5 hours to watch the TV version. Definitely Christmas and atomospheric of the season, so I watch it just about every year. But it's definitely a bit strange, too, and not to be shared with youngsters in front of the tree.

#52 of 56 Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,304 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted December 30 2006 - 01:59 PM

I need to see some of the classic stuff.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (watched it this year at the hospital with my daughter who got hit with pneumonia), How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and Charlie Brown are watched yearly in my house.

I second the vote for Love Actually. Great cast, great soundtrack, great film period. My wife and I have watched it three years running around Christmas with adult friends and it gets better each time.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#53 of 56 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted December 30 2006 - 02:34 PM

Christmas Vacation: I've been watching this every year since I originally had it on VHS!!!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

and now that I have Trapped in Paradise on DVD, this will probably go on my yearly viewing list as well.

#54 of 56 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,842 posts

Posted December 30 2006 - 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Williams
Gone with the Wind and It's a Wonderful Life are constantly vying for Worst Movie of All Time in my movie pantheon. IAWL's constant cloying sickly sweetness ("Every time a bell rings... ) is so over the top as to be vomit-inducing. Posted Image

The true identity of David Williams.....It's Mr.Potter.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hard to give a top five. But, no x-mas is complete without a viewing of "A Christmas Carol" with Alistair Sim.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#55 of 56 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted December 31 2006 - 01:13 AM

The true identity of David Williams.....It's Mr.Potter.
Actually, I think he's J. Edgar Hoover Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#56 of 56 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted December 31 2006 - 07:12 AM

At least Hoover and I play/played for the same team... Posted Image

I do have a soft spot and no, it isn't two sizes too small... I just don't enjoy having it tugged at by obviousness & cliché. Frank Capra certainly made better movies, like Arsenic & Old Lace which he, thankfully, didn't also write.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

Forum Nav Content I Follow