What's new

Seti@home pt. 2 (1 Viewer)

Derrik N

Grip
Some of you requested it, so here it is. Let me just give you an overview of the last thread.
Team HTF Seti@home Stats
Team HTF Seti@home Stats (Usually more up to date)
Top 200 Clubs Teams
If you have the Seti@home client installed, disable the screensaver to increase your performance.
So, now that you checked it out...You say you want to join?
Here's how (courtesy of Dennis Reno)
Simply go to Seti@home , select "Download SETI@home", select your OS, read the intructions and install the screensaver. After you have the program running, go here SETI@home-HTF and click on "Join".
Seti Sites
Doing more with you Seti Client
Seti Utilities
Link Removed : Nice little tool for watching progress and stats
Seti Cache
SetiWatch and SetiLog
SetiQ : (From the website)"Seti Queue is designed to be used on a local area network that provides the internet access to multiple computers where at least one computer, such as the gateway, has a fixed local IP address. Seti Queue is installed on the local machine that has access to the internet and a known local IP address. The s@h clients are configured to route their work through that machine. Seti queue can also be installed on a single machine where one s@h client runs."
I can personally attest to the usefullnes of SetiQ. I was always losing computing time while my Seti prog sat waiting for me to connect to the Internet. That is now a thing of the past. Two thumbs up.
------------------
Derri(NO "c")k

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
Unfortunately, mine is more of a days per units situation, as opposed to a units per day. But, what can you expect from a year old laptop?

Ben Guyton

Grip
So then, 30+ units on average per day including weekdays is pretty good? :) I did notice I was jumping up in rank pretty quickly.... some day I will be up there... oh yes... some day.
wink.gif

Chris White

Second Unit
If you can complete 30 per day (or anywhere close to that), you're going to move up the list VERY fast.
I recently estimated work unit completion rates based on a 10 day period from July 14th to July 24th. Here are the average daily work units completed for the top 15 team members (rounded to the nearest unit):
1) MattB is currently not processing any units
2) JeffBlair - 90
3) Paul Berquam - 21
4) Mischievous Rogue - 15
5) WillynJoe - 32
6) Chris Maynard - 23
7) Jon Wenger - 26
8) Joey - 10
9) Dennis Reno - 6
10) Darrell Cramphorn - 5
11) Paul Grant - 5
12) Dr. White - 14 (must find new slaves!)
13) psklenar - 5
14) Mister Gin - 14 (but working faster this week!)
15) Ray McCalla - 1
------------------
The Whites' Home Theater Website
Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
We're movin' on up, but if we could have a little (or big) membership drive like we did last month it could be so much faster.
------------------
Yas fancy pants, all a yas.
Johnny Caspar

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Humm, I might have to keep my eye on Ben now. :) Here I come #1 spot. hehe
Jeff
------------------
"The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made."

Ben Guyton

Grip
Here I come #39 place! hehehe......
Started out a little more of a week ago with only 4 units.... then I became a slave driver... muhahahaha... resistance is futile!
------------------
-Ben
Tips from the Horror Movie Character's Survival Guide:
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.

Chris White

Second Unit
Help! The Seti server is currently down, my work unit is complete, and apparently Seti Cache isn't working right on my computer. I'm running the Seti Online batch file since this computer has a direct internet connection. When I pull up the Seti window it says the following:
Found data file: no. Found result header file: no.
Getting data - connecting to server.
connect: No such file or directory
Can't connect to server; will retry in one hour.
It appears Seti is trying to download a new unit instead of processing the other 9 available. I thought the problem might just be with Seti Online so I stopped it and tried to run Seti Offline. I didn't think it would try to contact the server when running Seti Offline (hence the term, offline), but the first thing it tries to do is send the last unit completed and then giving me this message:
Sending result - connecting to server.
connect: No such file or directory
Can't connect to server; will retry in one hour.
What's wrong?!?!?!?!?!?
------------------

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Chris,
The only thing tht I can think of is that the other 9 WU's are done and ready to go. Click on statis and see. Hope this does it for you.
------------------
"The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made."

Chris White

Second Unit
No, that's not it Jeff. Status showed units 1-8 waiting to be processed. I use SetiCache with the Offline option for my home computer and it works perfectly, but for some reason, it doesn't appear to be working right on this machine. As soon as the Seti server came back on line, it sent the processed unit, replaced it, and started processing again. I just don't understand why the Offline mode would try to download a unit instead of working on the next available cached unit.
On a completely different note, I have a question for you computer experts. Just out of curiosity, what would happen if I created a ram disk and ran seti on it? Has anyone tried this? Of course I realize the risk of running analysis on a volatile medium, but like I said, I'm just curious.
Jeff are you sitting on a giant pile of completed units? You've been averaging about 90 units a day and now suddenly you've gone several days without any. You're just teasing Team Geeknews aren't you? :)
------------------

Ben Guyton

Grip
Chris,
I actually tried running Seti on a ramdisk. I didn't actually notice any difference at all. It doesn't really access the hard drive that much as a program. Just the CPU. I mean if you have a 340K file, and it takes you almost 10 hours to complete... that calculates out to very little HD access. So a ramdrive doesn't do much at all for speed, or for that matter, HD life. Save the memory for other applications.
That's my suggestion anyways. :)
------------------
-Ben
Tips from the Horror Movie Character's Survival Guide:
As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to hell.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Chris,
No I'm not doing it on purpose. When I am not at work, SetiQ will not send the data, because it needs a account on our proxy server. So every Sunday you should see a big burst of WU going in. :) I am down to about 60 per/day now. Some of the machines that weren't being used, are now.
frown.gif
ohhh well.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks