What's new

How would you handle this? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I bought a new TV at Best Buy for $1900. As I was considering it, the salesperson, who was surprisingly good and knowledgeable, told me the set (JVC 56FN97) came with a stand. I knew the lower-level JVC comes with a stand, but I didn't think the one I was buying did. I told him I didn't think so, and he insisted. We went back and forth on this for a bit and he looked at his computer and said the computer said it came with it. It would be attached to the box. I asked him if he could show me one on the floor and he agreed, but when he looked he couldn't find one.

Anyway, I picked up the TV, and of course, it doesn't come with one. I don't think the kid was trying anything sinister, and I thought he was probably wrong, but he insisted (and I could have been wrong), and it was a reason (not the only reason) I bought the TV. I called the manager of the home theater department, and he offered me a 25% discount on a stand. Right now they're offering anyone who buys a TV a 15% discount, so I'm not too thrilled, not to mention that I don't really like any of the stands they sell.

What would be apprpriate for me to do? I could return the TV, and they'd be stuck with an open box that they'd have to sell to someone at a discount, but I got 36 months interest-free financing, so I'm not unhappy with my position. Should I ask that they give me one of the free stands that come with the lower-level set? It's the same size. I think I'm entitled to a little more leeway on this. Am I wrong?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I wouldn't have completed the purchase w/o getting the free stand. You had quite a discussion about it and the salesman repeatedly said it came with it. The manager had no position other than to allow it. I would have gone to the store manager or district manager if the HT manager wouldn't have caved.

However, it seems like you have actually purchased under these dubious conditions, so your position isn't as strong now. But you could still try to get a manager to do this, or give you even more off, like 50%.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Yeah, I suspect you're right. I ordered it and paid for it, but they had to order it from another store. I picked it up several days later, about a half hour before closing, so no one was really available at the time. I suppose I should have just refused to take it and demanded a refund, but I figured I'd go back later and talk to a manager. I think the only threat I can make now is to return it and stick them with an open box item. Hopefully I'll get a reasonable manager. Thanks for your views.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Fight, Fight, Fight! I work in sales for a living and I am amazed at how many things people just let slide because they won't fight for what they have been promised. As stated by John, you would be in a much better position had you not excepted the tv but I would still push this issue as far as you can. It is not like you are stealing but just standing up for your rights and something you should have received.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yeah, just think about it. At the point they tried to back-pedal, I'd of said, "you told me over and over it included the stand, even after I asked you, are you sure it does. Now when I say, OK I'll take the Tv, with the stand, you try to tell me the stand is not included and I will have to pay extra!"

Back in 2000, when I bought my 53" RPTV, after I bought it, I found I could have bought it for over $800 less from an online vendor, even factoring in shipping. I went back to the salesman and he got his boss to throw in a free DVD player. They wouldn't price match as their policy said they don't price match for online. But they didn't want the return either, so the DVD Player about split the difference. And I got a pretty good Pioneer player for the day.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Update for anyone still interested:

I went to Best Buy Saturday and talked to a couple salespeople and a manager, and they figured out that I was, in fact, supposed to get a free stand, but they placed the order incorrectly. So they ordered the stand, but I won't be getting it until Thursday, assuming it comes in when they say. I'm a little ticked still because I had to set up the TV sitting on the floor to even make sure it worked, so essentially I paid $2000 for a TV and it'll be over a week before I can begin a critical evaluation of the thing. Oh, well, at least I saved $300 on the stand.

Also, from what little evaluation I've done, the picture looks great, but I think it might be a bit too small, even though we only sit about 9 feet away. Even my wife said it doesn't seem significantly bigger than my old one (56" vs. 48", but if she insists...). Best Buy might end up with a return after all. For a bigger set, of course.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Standing up for your rights does pay off sometimes.

For future reference, what I have done in situations similar to this is make the salesperson write the details of the purchase on the sales slip that may be in question. It might be a question of included items, as in your case, or maybe it's not clear that the model they have in stock has the key attribute that you expect / need. Make them write it down.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks