Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Mildew stains in shower grout

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted December 13 2006 - 05:25 AM

It used to be that heavy cleaners, bleaches, grout erasers, etc. used to get the mildew stains out of our shower grout, but now it doesn't do more than lighten it to a grey color. Is our only option to remove the old grout (which is in otherwise good condition) and re-grout? If so, I assume that we need to get all of the mildewed grout out or else the old grout will stain the new grout from the inside. Is this correct? Thanks in advance for the advice!

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   BrianW

• 2,561 posts

Posted December 13 2006 - 11:12 AM

There may be something to get the stains out, but I can't help you there. Hopefully others can. But if you do decide to regrout, I can, however, recommend that you use an acrylic grout. It's non-porous, so any stuff you happen to leave behind (underneath) won't creep through later. It also doesn't require sealing and will resist mildew for many years to come. Acrylic grouts are sanded (for traditional look) or non-sanded (for a smoother look) and are available in a variety of colors.
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted December 14 2006 - 04:13 AM

There's a product made by (IIRC) Jasco that my wifes' had success using. One step is a cleaner, the second is some kind of paint that looks like a shoe polish thing with a foam tip, and the third is a sealer. Grout still looks like new three years later. Re-grouting would be a PITA IMO (especially since it'd probably end up being me doing the work) Mort

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users