Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How to balance TV show watching?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Lincoln

Lincoln

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted December 12 2006 - 08:52 AM

Right now I'm trying to balance all the show's I'm trying to through without favoring one (even though it happens some days)

So I've got;
M*A*S*H The complete series to watch (On season 3, put kinda on hold)
Get Smart The complete series (on season 2)
Andy Griffith Season 6 (on disk 4)
Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C (Sitting on my lap, just came)
And House M.D. (season 2)

How would you suggest to balance watching them? getting a weekly dose of each one.

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted December 12 2006 - 02:35 PM

Actually, I've given a lot of thought about this lately, because, come the New Year, I plan to seriously dig into my TV on DVD collections. In general, I plan to go the weekly dose route, watching different TV shows each weeknight, to maximize variety. The only shows I'd watch more frequently would be ones that have so many episodes that, even with watching one each weeknight, it would take years to see them all.
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted December 12 2006 - 06:36 PM

The best way to properly balance your TV-show-on-DVD watching is by holding one box set in each hand.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Brent_H

Brent_H

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted December 12 2006 - 07:27 PM

watch one disc of each until you run out.

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 13 2006 - 01:52 AM

I've started watching an entire set of one show before I move onto another. There are some exceptions, like the stuff I watch at my place with the boyfriend (Firefly, Desperate Housewives) or the stuff at his house (Seinfeld, Buffy). Currently working on He-Man 2.2.

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted December 13 2006 - 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rain
The best way to properly balance your TV-show-on-DVD watching is by holding one box set in each hand.

Posted Image That's classic, David

I'm another of the "variety" viewers. I usually watch an "action", "Drama", "Sfifi", etc 1-hr episode then follow it with a comedy "chaser", like Dick Van Dyke, Get Smart, etc, or sometimes an animated cartoon closer.

I keep track of the viewing with a weekly Excel printout. Why? Well, the reason's apparent with my list : Posted Image

My current list of "in progress" and "not started" TV/DVD's:

A TEAM SEASON 4
A TEAM SEASON 5
ADAM-12 SEASON 1
ADDAMS FAMILY SEASON 1 VOL 1
BEWITCHED SEASON 2
BEWITCHED SEASON 3
BEWITCHED SEASON 4
BIG VALLEY SEASON 1
CHARLIE'S ANGELS SEASON 3
COLUMBO SEASON 2
COLUMBO SEASON 3
COLUMBO SEASON 4
COLUMBO SEASON 5
COMBAT SEASON 3 PACK 1
COMBAT SEASON 3 PACK 2
COMBAT SEASON 4 PACK 1
COMBAT SEASON 4 PACK 1
COMBAT SEASON 5 PACK 1
COMBAT SEASON 5 PACK 1
DALLAS SEASON 4
DICK VAN DYKE COMPLETE SERIES
FAMLY SEASON 1 & 2
FANTASY ISLAND SEASON 1
FLINTSTONES SEASON 2
FLINTSTONES SEASON 3
GREEN ACRES SEASON 1
GREEN ACRES SEASON 2
GREEN ACRES SEASON 3
HILL STREET BLUES SEASON 2
HOGAN'S HEROES SEASON 2
HOGAN'S HEROES SEASON 3
HOGAN'S HEROES SEASON 4
I DREAM OF JEANNIE SEASON 1
I DREAM OF JEANNIE SEASON 2
JETSONS SEASON 1
JONNY QUEST SEASON 1
KNOTS LANDING SEASON 1
LOIS AND CLARK SEASON 2
LOIS AND CLARK SEASON 3
LOONEY TUNES VOL 1
LOONEY TUNES VOL 2
LOONEY TUNES VOL 3
LOONEY TUNES VOL 4
McCLOUD SEASON 1 & 2
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE SEASON 1
MOONLIGHTING SEASON 1 & 2
MURDER SHE WROTE SEASON 1
NEW AVENGERS SEASON 2
OUTER LIMITS SEASON 1
OUTER LIMITS SEASON 2
PERRY MASON SEASON 1 VOL 1
PERRY MASON SEASON 1 VOL 2
POLICE SQUAD
PRETENDER SEASON 1
RAT PATROL SEASON 1
RAWHIDE SEASON 1
RIFLEMAN SET 2
RIFLEMAN SET 3
RIFLEMAN SET 4
RIFLEMAN SET 5
ROCKFORD FILES SEASON 1
ROCKFORD FILES SEASON 2
SECRET AGENT MEGASET
TABITHA SEASON 1
TAXI SEASON 1
TAXI SEASON 2
TIME TUNNEL VOL 2
TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT SEASON 1
TWILIGHT ZONE SEASON 2
TWILIGHT ZONE SEASON 3
TWILIGHT ZONE SEASON 4
TWILIGHT ZONE SEASON 5
VOYAGE TO BOTTOM OF SEA V1
VOYAGE TO BOTTOM OF SEA V2
WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE SEASON 1
YOGI BEAR SEASON 1

Yes, I do see the light of day and know that the sun is still shining Posted Image

One reason that the list is somewhat long is that I'm also a sports fan so I'm usually watching a live game in the evenings (NHL, MLB, NFL, NCAA DIV 1A Football).

I rarely "marathon" through an entire series or season set. I don't recall ever doing that but I came close with "Murder One" S1.

I don't worry about returns/exchanges since I order nearly all of my DVD's from Amazon and they have always honored an exchange even outside the 30-day window.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Firebee

Firebee

Supporting Actor

• 759 posts

Posted December 13 2006 - 02:37 AM

You just have to figure out something that you want to do with your TV DVDs. For example, I've been watching ``The Dead Zone'' Season 3 (usually two episodes), then I'll switch to watching ``Buffy'' Season 5 (again, two episodes), then two episodes of ``Charmed'' Season 5, then three episodes of ``Friends'' Season 6, and if it's not too late, then a few episodes of ``Get Smart''. Whichever method works best for you, if you only want to watch a few episodes at a time, or just only watch a certain set's episodes until you finish that set, then choose that. Posted Image

I also have not enough time to watch all of these DVDS:

http://www.invelos.c....aspx/fire26bee

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Bert Greene

Bert Greene

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted December 13 2006 - 03:18 AM

Ideally, I have about 5 tv-dvd sets in rotation at any one time. I like to have a couple of sitcoms, a western, one or two hour-long action/drama shows, all to allow optimum variety. Plus a smattering of movie fare, as well. I'm not always lucky enough to have things work out this way, but it tends to be my goal.

I really don't allow myself to get stuck with a big backlog of unviewed material. I'll go through each set within about four to six weeks of purchasing it. Maybe I just don't want that odd pressure that comes from having a huge pile of discs accumulating and demanding my attention. Come to think of it, since most months only have, at best, two or three sets that interest me, I really don't find the opportunity to be buried in a backlog.

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Steven_J_H

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted December 14 2006 - 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_H
watch one disc of each until you run out.

I actually like that method, too. Makes it easier to remember where I left off.

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted December 16 2006 - 02:43 AM

I like to mix it up a bit myself. Watch some of this, some of that. I watch a lot of tv on dvd when I travel, so I'll usually finish at least a disc or two of Trek, another disc, maybe two of A-Team, then maybe a disc of Farscape. Makes it a bit longer to get through each individual seasons, but I get to mix it up and in the end have three different shows' seasons completed.

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted December 16 2006 - 03:15 AM

I'm just watching 1 Episode per week of each show until they're all watched. In some cases it will take more thanh a year to watch them all. (I watch about three hours per evening each night. The Series that will take me the longest to watch will be LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE. According to my calculations I'll be watching the "Final Farewell" Episode (The one where they blow up the Town Posted Image ) right after the Vancouver Winter Olympics are over!
BTW I'll probably schedule a Ski Trip to the Canadian Rockies so I can watch the "Games" on Canadian Television, which does a FAR SUPERIOR JOB of Covering this Sporting Event. (There's a Law in Canada that limits the amount of Commercials they can show per hour on Canadian Broadcasts Posted Image )

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Dan_V

Dan_V

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted December 16 2006 - 03:39 AM

I tried the rotation thing and it didn't work for me. It seemed to take forever to get through a set. With my crazy schedule it works out much better if I stay focused on one set a a time. I also think the show has more of an impact if you watch multiple episodes/multiple nights, but maybe that is just me. Lately I have gone as far as watching an entire series before moving on to the next one.

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Kenneth V

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted December 16 2006 - 10:13 AM

I have a large amount of TV shows on DVD just like most of you. I think the best way is to watch one disc from each show at a time. Most hour long shows have 4 eps on a disc. While half hour shows have 6 eps. Roughly speaking that is. That plan tends to work for me.

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted December 16 2006 - 11:34 AM

I simply just stick to one series set at a time. After i finish that i move on to the next set. I am also big sports fan so that usually takes up alot of my evenings. So i have alot of unwatched sets at the moment.

Sometimes a certain show will take priority and i will move it to the top of the next set to watch list like i did with St. Elsewhere!

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   thepegsdave

thepegsdave

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted December 16 2006 - 06:25 PM

-

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted December 16 2006 - 06:33 PM

As a general rule I don't watch 2 box sets of the same show back-to-back. I like to stretch them out and make them last, especially for a show like Buffy or Angel that are defunct.

Also, I usually do a few sitcom box sets in a row and then a drama set to cleanse the pallete.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted December 16 2006 - 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Greene
Maybe I just don't want that odd pressure that comes from having a huge pile of discs accumulating and demanding my attention.

I get that too, that's basically the only thing keeping my spending in check. I don't call it pressure, I call it stress.
I'm having a b*tch of a time explaining this to everyone. The hell of being me.

So basically I try to only have one unwatched boxset in the house at a time.
The ones I have the hardest time getting through are the Star Treks (Voy/DS9), they just grate when taken in too large quantities.

24, however, is a mandatory marathon.

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted December 16 2006 - 09:14 PM

For me, I have found out that it's better I watch one season series at a time. I can't watch several series parallel. Because each series requires its own mood and when you watch only that series (or season), you stay in the mood and it's a more satisfying experience.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Davatchi
For me, I have found out that it's better I watch one season series at a time. I can't watch several series parallel.
That's how I do it too.

No matter how you watch them, you're not going to get through them any quicker. Sure, by watching one set in its entirety before cracking open the next, means that one of the sets is going to sit around for a while, but that really doesn't bug me.
Quote:
Because each series requires its own mood and when you watch only that series (or season), you stay in the mood and it's a more satisfying experience.
Agreed, I find that watching one season at a time helps me watch more than I normally would. Plus, I like leaving the disc in the player until I'm finished with it.

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Kenneth V

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 06:57 AM

Watching one season at a time works if you are really into the show. For example: Star Trek TOS. I watched all three seasons back to back to back. I agree about DS9 and Voyager though, those series will take me a long time to get through.

I try to spread out the shows a little bit because staying in one show can get kind of stale. It's nice to mix it up a bit and have different shows from different genres in current circulation.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow