What's new

After 3 weeks of searching for a SuB (1 Viewer)

jwill242004

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Wilcox
Well after countless up until 4 a.m. nights researching the perfect sub for my budget, it all pointed toward SVS....that is until i saw the Holiday sale on the HSU STF-3. Now my problem is this, how the heck do I decide between the two.

Requirements:

Very deep, low, and powerful bass extension (which both companies seem to fullfill)

For $530 shipped im leaning my way towards the HSU. I need some feedback here comparing the two I had in mind. I know both will be great additions and I will probably be happy with either one. But for the Low end that Im lacking what would be better (comparing the prices) Keep in mind that my HT room is very large and open. WIll the HSU be able to reproduce the low frequencys with authority in this case?? Am I able to have the HSU tuned from the factory lower to help it produce lower extension??

I was leaning towards a SVS 25-31 PC Plus, however the price difference between the sale on the STF-3 is significant. Will the additional $$$ for the SVS be worth it in performance???

Thanks for any replies!!

J

afviper

Auditioning
Real Name
Igor
HSU is introducing a new line of subwoofers, the MK3. The VTF2 MK3 seems to be within your budget, and will probobly be better than the STF3. I am not allowed to post links, just go to the HSU website, forum, general discussion and news, and the thread titled: A New Era for Hsu Research!!!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The STF-3 is natively tuned for 25Hz opperation, so you are defintely not going to get the same depth or output anywhere near that of the SVS Plus line. When they tune the sub lower, you also lose a little bit of output. Just things to be aware of. There was a considerable difference between the VTF-3 MkII and the 20-39Plus I heard.

jwill242004

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Wilcox
Considerable difference between the VTF and 20-39 Plus? What kinda difference are we talking about, the VTF outperformed the SVS?? Or Visa Versa?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Like I said, you are not going to get nearly the same output from the VTF-3 as you will from anything in the Plus lineup. You would probably need to step up to the VTF-3 HO (High Output) to achieve the same output as a Plus.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

Illka's testing says otherwise. The VTF-3MK2 is at least on par with with the single driver Pluses:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/

With the testing that craigsub has done with the HO/turbo combo and it beating out the Plus/2 in the deep bass, I would think the VTF-3MK3 without the Turbo would do the same with the single driver PB12-Plus.

He makes a brief mention of it in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=767149

And a search will show his testing.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm just telling you what I heard as well. Both were in similar size areas, with almost identical receivers. I didn't take readings on the VTF-3, but it did not have the same level output. Depth yes, but output no.

I'm very curious to hear the MkIIIs now though :)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Understood...but how can you compare that way? Were volume levels and calibrations identical? In-room FR's? Placement? So many variables when things are not done side by side and without equal calibration.

Illka's testing was outdoors and objective.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Basically we cranked both systems to excessive levels. You are correct, comparison was not under perfect and identical testing conditions. In room FRs both relatively flat. I ran the FR on the Plus myself, and it has output similar to my Tempest in the 20s. I didn't have time to run a FR of the VTF-3.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jason

CurtisSC has this right. Contact HSU and ask about the special deal on the VTF-3MKII. It is flat to at least 18Hz OUTDOORS per Ilkka. You will not be sorry.

Please feel free to PM me for some additional information...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've OWNED the VTF-2 and there is no way it would hit 18Hz with any authority. It struggled in the low 20s in my room.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I have no doubt of your comparison, but I am not sure that is very valid. In the least you have to check the calibration.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well if someone will just send me a VTF-3 MkII I will do the testing :D

I'm most interested in the VTF-2 MKIII now. Sounds like a heavy contender in the price range!

Due to my move and subsequent construction, my whole system has been dormant for the past ~3 weeks. It is painful to look at my sub just sitting there doing nothing and seeing my receiver and amps in boxes...

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

I am in the exact same boat. I actually have an HSU STF-3 being shipped out to me on Friday but after the SVS demo I got yesterday, I might just change my mind. As far as your choice between the STF-3 and the SVS 25-31 PC PLUS. It really isn't a fair comparison, the SVS would probably spank it. A more fair comparison when it comes to performance and price would probably be an SVS 25-31 PCI, 20-39 PCI or PB12-NSD. I listened to the PB12 NSD and was blown away by it.

Alos, I talked to the good Dr. yesterday. Dr. HSU himself, and he said that the STF-3 is still one of the better performing subs when comparing it to the new VTF-2 MK3. So if I were going to go with the HSU, I would still go with the current STF-3, $532 shipped to your door is a steal.

jwill242004

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Wilcox
I just spoke with Dr. HSU this morning and hes pretty much got me sold on the VTF3 MK3 (new intro offer) , however pretty much doesnt mean for sure. He assured me that this new sub would blow away the VTF3 MK2 in LFE. Also the side firing design of the new MK3 is a nice feature because of my thick carpet that I would be placing the downfiring MK2 on. When I originally called I was inquiring about the MK2 and basicly for a difference of $57 for the MK3(the MK3 is more expensive to ship than the smaller MK2), the upgrade is a no brainer....or so he says.

Now is the cost of the MK3 ($739 shipped) worth it terms of performance compared to the STF3 which as you said is an awesome deal, as its $200 cheaper. I havent heard either of these subs and will not get the chance to unfortunately unless its in my home. Is it worth it to go ahead and take the deal on the STF3, get it in the house and listen to it. I might be completely satisfied with it be thanking god I didnt spend the extra 200 on the MK3, if Im not happy with it just return it and pay to ship it back (that would suck)

Should I just suck it up and spend the extra 200 and know for sure that I will be satisfied with the output.

These decisions are very hard to make as you know!!

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I hear ya. They are tough decisions. Me personally, I would go with the STF-3. But I am leaning more towards the SVS route as of right now. I just can't deny the sheer impact and deep strong bass I heard yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks