What's new

Midnite Movies (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I am surprised that this thread dropped without many checking in on this? It was a #1 topic for a long time - has the interest in the series waned?

Eric

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
no, not at all...just frustration, exasperation, and a touch of reality...etc... :frowning:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Ditto.

It's not only the Midnite Movie line that gets me but all the other MGM properties that are stuck in limbo, like the Sergio Leone SE's, etc, etc.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
Yeah, what they said. My wall of single and double feature MGM MM's is a testament to my fandom of the series. It's like this series hit a death spiral it was unable to pull out of as soon as they announced it was going to start being a Best Buy exclusive. Nothing against BB or MGM, that's just when things seemed to get shaky and uncertain.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Eric, it's not that the interest in the series has waned. It's just that when and if the Midnite Movie series starts up again, you can be certain a posting will pop up here as soon as possible. With all due respect, to ask if there's any news on the series is kind of redundant, if there IS news don't you think it would be posted here immediately. There's not much to respond to a post like this except posting wishlists for the MGM series or venting frustration at what has happened to the series.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
It would be nice if they put them in sets, like the Vincent Price-Edgar Alan Poe adaptations. Maybe in time for Halloween 2007. Probably not though, but it would be nice.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
I would like to see a box set of unreleased Vincent Price titles -- CONQUEROR WORM, MASTER OF THE WORLD, HOUSE OF 1000 DOLLS, DIARY OF A MADMAN, DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS and HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS.

How about a Karloff box set too: BLACK SABBATH, THE CRIMSON CULT and CAULDRON OF BLOOD.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
I think all of the current MM titles are technically OOP. Some may still be available for sale, but I don't think they're being made any more.

I would love to see the unreleased potential titles come out as future MM box sets instead of 4-6 titles coming out once every few months like they had in the past. A box of 6 titles for about $40, ala the the Val Lewton or Hammer sets, would be a great way to continue the line, I think.

I see threads like this one on just about every movie/DVD site I read; I wonder why the studio isn't listening.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
I read in a new Video Watchdog magazine how despite it not being anamorphic, MGM's version of COUNTESS DRACULA (paired with VAMPIRE LOVERS as a Midnite Movies df) looks better than the ones from other regions. That's why I want very badly for them to stuff like VAMPIRE CIRCUS, TWINS OF EVIL, CONQUEROR WORM, BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW and HANDS OF THE RIPPER. They will all most likely be better looking DVDs then their counterparts from other countries.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I was afraid of that. I ordered the Abominable Dr. Phibes/Phibes Rises Again DVD from Amazon, after I saw that the disc was no longer listed on the MGM site.

I received it the other day, and it looks great. What great movies those are. I enjoyed seeing the sequel again after not having seen it for a few years, even though it's not as good as the original, it's still a fun film.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
The original trailers were quite a treat as well (especially for the first film- it has kind of a 'yellow submarine' influence). I had never seen them before and was really pleased to have them on there.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i know it is only May...but in the world of video planning....October (Halloween), the prime selling season for MIDNITE MOVIES is right around the corner. Do you think it is too early to start whining about which titles in this series i would like to see released...will anyone pay attention...? i guess the rights for most of these titles are all over the place. But i have fond memories for such things as BURN WITCH BURN, MASTER OF THE WORLD, DIARY OF A MADMAN....and oh!!....while i am at it...Universal...how about another ULTIMATE SCI-FI set?? O.k....i am done whining for the moment.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
BURN WITCH BURN was released under its British title NIGHT OF THE EAGLE in a very good edition in the UK last month. No extras, but a very nice anamorphic widescreen transfer that is much sharper than my Laserdisc.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

It's never too early to start whining for whatever good it will do.

The Midnite Movie line has been dormant so long that if it does get resurrected I'll probably go into cardiac arrest.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Didn't Burn Witch Burn make it onto the Midnite Movies upcoming release schedule at least once or twice in the past? I know I was always on the lookout for it but could never track down a copy.

I'll second your request for a follow-up Ultimate Sci-Fi collection, too! Great stuff!

Hopefully, Warner's upcoming "Camp Cult Classics" series will fill the void for this type of material, at least in the short term.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
I don't think they ever released any titles as part of a Halloween promotion. If memory serves, when they started up the line on DVD they came out sporadically a few times a year just like any other titles would.

I hate to say it, but I think this series is dead. I wouldn't waste my time waiting for more titles to come out. If you can get them in R2, you might want to look into that. I've done that for titles like Conqueror Worm. MM was a successful VHS line, a successful DVD line, but I think when Sony got involved and decided to redesign it and then release 4 LAME pirate flicks to promote PoC, that's when the plug was pulled for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks