What's new

Are these titles available anywhere anamorphically enhanced? (1 Viewer)

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Since my dvd purchases have fallen wayyyy off, to just buying the odd new TV show release I figured I'd finally go through my collection to eliminate what remaining R1 non-anamorphic titles I still own (I started my DVD collection before moving to Scotland) and replace them with anamorphic ones.

I don't care about multi-lingual packaging, but original language (without forced non-English subtitles) and a good picture are a must.

I live in the UK, so clearly anything nearby is preferable to East Asia.

The Abyss (I don't think this exists anywhere anamorphic, but I'm prepared to be surprised) -- director's cut preferred.
Colour of Money (Just looking for confirmation the UK R2 release is anamorphic)
Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good the Bad and the Ugly (I'm pretty sure the local R2 versions of these are anamorphic)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978 -- I'm told this one cannot be found anywhere anamorphically enhanced)
Silence of the Lambs (I've read the recent Ultimate Edition has issues with the opening credits; is there anywhere that has something in a decent special edition with the film cinematically intact in terms of location subtitles and opening credits?)

If this stuff is already covered elsewhere I'm happy to have links provided. The forum is pretty old and looking up basic stuff tends to get horrifically large numbers of hits. The main film board seems pretty much R1 only, so this seemed the place to post. Incidentally is there a good R2 UK forum I should think about joining for DVD cinema?

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
The Abyss - not anamorphic, but there has been rumours that the upcoming Cinema Reserve edition might be anamorphic.

Color Of Money - according to Dvdcompare you should chose R2/R4 because they are anamorphic (R1 is not), so I guess R2UK must be anamorphic.

Eastwood westerns - the R2UK SE are all anamorphic. I have two of them myself.

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers - I can´t find any anamorphic edition and the upcoming Japanese edition seems to be a non-anamorphic reissue.

Silence Of The Lambs - there is a Japanese SE which seems to be similar to the Japanese UE (I´m not sure if also the Japanese UE, now OOP, lacks some of the opening credits, but Dvdcompare doesn´t say it does), but I don´t know if all the opening credits are included. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview....EY=MGBGD-15907

There is also an upcoming Collector´s Edition, but I don´t know if it´s R1 or R2 or the releasdate for that matter. Perhaps you should wait for it to be released.
http://www.minhembio.com/forum/uploa...1164211519.jpg

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron

Thanks for the confirmation on the others. I'll have to pop into a Virgin re: The Color of Money and have a look a the box (amazon.co.uk isn't consistent in stating that bit of information). It would be odd for it not to be anamorphic over here, but then some of the other films in my list aren't for whatever reason, so go figure.

Re: Silence of the Lambs CE, I'll have to wait on that. There's a thread in the Movie DVD section about it and consensus seems to be that it's basically a US-version of the UE released elsewhere, so until someone checks it out I'm not biting. It seems weird that my ancient out-of-print Criterion edition appears to be still be the best version to get...

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Thanks for the sites. It looks like the UE of Silence of the Lambs is a skip for the credits issue, but there's a noticeable picture quality improvement with the Special Edition that is drawing me to it.

Bepaof8

Agent
Real Name
Pete
Thanks for the links. I found anamorphic R2 versions of "Armageddon", "Lake Placid" and "The Game" using them. Movies I re-watch at least once a year.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks