What's new

Movies Not Available on DVD (1 Viewer)

Thomas Arnold

Auditioning
This is Thomas K. Arnold of USA Today. We are working on a fast-turnaround story about movies that for some reason have not yet been released on DVD--it's a bit ironic that even though the format is nearly 10 years old and next-generation high-def discs are now hitting the market, a good percentage of each studio's library has not been released on DVD. Sometimes it's legal disputes, but more often than not it's the studios feeling that the film isn't marketable for some reason. I'd like to hear from some consumers at [email protected] about what films they wish would come out on DVD, and why. Please email me with one or two titles -- they should be recognizable films -- and any info on why they aren't available. Include your name, age, where you live and your occupation. And please include your phone number so I can verify the identity of the responders I plan on using and call you for more detailed quotes. I need to hear from people by Saturday night, which gives us 24 hours for this discussion--and, yes, I've seen all the lists and postings but I want fresh info. Thanks!--Thomas K. Arnold

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez

I have seen this kind of "invitation" many times before, and it seems to me more like you want to take advantage of the fact that many people are just too eager to get their names on print, so they will make your work for you.

But hey, what do I know?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Your readers are probably only interested in movies from the past few years. Looking at the entire history of movies, I conservatively estimate that 99% of them have not been released to DVD, nor ever will be.

Thomas Arnold

Auditioning
Actually I'm not looking so much for current as movies as important movies. Your 99% figure may be a little high, but you're certainly in the right ballpark. At one major studio only about 20% of the library has been released, and this studio is known as one of the more aggressive ones in releasing catalog product.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Ah! "Far From The Madding Crowd", and an unimportant movie called "The Uninvited", starring Ray Milland are my big wants. I'd add two noirs: "The Two Mrs. Carrolls", and "Undercurrent". Why they haven't been made available I don't know. I've heard rumors that FFTMC willl be released soon, but nothing definite.

I'm a female retired person living in the midwest. I'd rather not give out my phone number, thanks. Hope you can help push some of these along, so thanks for asking.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Well duh, that's the nature of the Arts & Entertainment section of papers. No crime there.

I emailed in the Directors Cut of Until the End of the World.

Honestly I couldn't think of any "recognizable" titles that haven't already been released or announced. Obscure stuff, sure. But he wanted recognizable films. So I didn't mention Alan Arkin's "Simon" or the gawd-awful sequel to Westworld, "Futureworld", or... ooh wait I just thought of another one but I wouldn't want my name associated with wanting to see it on DVD:

Ken Russell's "Whore".

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
Enchanted April (1992) directed by Mike Newell (who also directed the last Harry Potter movie) starring Miranda Richardson, Alfred Molina, Jim Broadbent, John Plowright, Polly Walker... Great movie, great actors, not the most obscure title in the world..... but where is it???

BernieV

Stunt Coordinator
Holiday Affair, starring Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh is one I recently watched on Turner Classic Movies. I keep wondering every year whether this 1949 Christmas classic will ever make it to DVD. :frowning:

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
The Columbia westerns made by Budd Boetticher with Randolph Scott.

I would also love to see 'Holiday Affair' released.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Paramount's Wings (William A. Wellman, 1927) and Fox's Sunrise (F.W. Murnau, 1927). The two Best Picture winners of 1927-1928 are still not on DVD! While Sunrise does have a "freebie" disc part of a box set (and once a mail-in offer), Wings is totally MIA.

Given that all other Best Picture winners are on DVD (except for the OOP Rebecca), they're important to mention!

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
More Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney from Fox

Belle Starr
Tobacco Road
The Iron Curtain

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

Dave. I second that request. The Tall T, Decision At Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome, and Comanche Station. 5 outstanding movies, 3 of them minor masterpieces, What a great box set they would make. Sony has the rights to them all, and it is my understanding that one or more of these films was already restored a couple of years ago. Hard to understand why they haven't done it. Including a documentary on the making of the films would also be nice, however I would rather see the films on DVD sooner than wait for a documentary to be made. Of the non-Boetticher directed Scott westerns the one most deserving of a DVD release is the classic Coroner Creek based on the writings of Luke Short who also wrote the books upon which, among others, Ramrod, Blood On the Moon, Station West, Ride the Man Down, Ambush, and Vengeance Valley were based. Coroner Creek might be a nice bonus feature to include in a box set, since its hard edged style was an early precursor to the Ranown westerns.

c Jim Bur

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
PORGY AND BESS is being actively suppressed by the Gershwin estate. This one has never made it to any form of home video, aside from a horrendous bootleg taken from a battered 16mm print.

CameronMcC

Second Unit
the Jazz Singer 1927 (though I understand it is supposed to be on the way)

other than the african queen, its the only film on the AFI top 100 not released on dvd I believe

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Mame, 1974, starring Lucille Ball. Rotten movie, but it actually sold okay on vhs, years ago. It has a sort of camp fan-base that enjoys making fun of it.

Other than that, I have to ask: why should every movie ever made be already on dvd? Can't the studios release them a few at a time? What's the rush--are all of you dying? Be patient. Every year more and more titles are made available for the first time. Relax...chill...Christmas is coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks