What's new

**** The official "Curb your Enthusiasm" discussion thread (2 Viewers)

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I saw this show when I was in the US last winter. I thought it was hilarious. The pilot episode had me rolling on the floor with tears in my eyes.
You can really see the Seinfeld-isms in the show. Plus I see a lot of George Costanza in Larry David. Make's sense since George is based on him.
To me this show nicely fills the void now that Seinfeld is no longer on. In many ways it goes beyond Seinfeld. That's the beauty of specialty channels.
Now that I have a dish I watch it every Wednesday on HBO. I have friends that insist I tape it for them.
To me it is the best comedy series currently on TV. Period.
I would even go so far to say it is as good as Seinfeld.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I had read something about this show a long time ago, but I didn't have HBO until a few weeks ago. I watched it for the first time last week, and it was HILARIOUS!! I loved it! It was VERY Seinfeld-esque, with a heavy touch of Woody Allen.
Luckily for me the episode last week was the first episode of the season! I guess they will re-run all of it before the second season starts in September, woohoo! HBO.com also says that they will re-run the one hour special pilot show next week. Great news for me :).
Even the episode summary for this show (episode 1) sounds like a Seinfeld summary:

An innocent "bunch-up" in Larry's trousers gives rise to a misunderstanding with Cheryl's friend Nancy at the movies - where Larry also offends the new girlfriend of pal Richard Lewis. During a phone call to Jeff, Larry jokingly refers to his wife as "Hitler," not realizing he's on a speaker phone with Jeff's outraged parents listening in. Larry runs into more trouble when he gives his wife a bogus explanation as to why Jeff has left a message of apology on their answering machine - with comedienne Kathy Griffin unwittingly blowing his cover.

I will catch this every chance I get, for sure. Any plans for a DVD?
/mike

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Absolutly! I started a topic on this awhile back, it's a great show, and drop dead funny too!
Up until I saw this show, I never REALLY knew just how much of Larry David was in the very fabric of 'Seinfeld'. It was apparent from the very first episode that 'Seinfeld' IS Larry David!
Everything, the language, attitude, and the situations, from contests, problems with keys, going out to the coffee shop, and of course dating up's and down's, you name it, all came not from Jerry Seinfeld, but from a tall, thin, balding guy behind the jokes, Larry David. Not that their's anything wrong with that!
------------------
No Soup For You!

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Thought I would revive this thread.
IMO, this is *still* the best comedy on TV. I have yet to see a bad episode.
I wonder how it is doing ratings-wise? HBO is only showing 10 new episodes this year. Not as many as "Sex and the City" and some other HBO shows.
I really hope this show finds an audience.
I still maintain that it is the best sitcom since Seinfeld.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's funny, I saw this topic and decided to go in and say how much I love this show, AND THEIR I WAS ALREADY! I forgot about this thread.
I really hope that it's doing well, it's one of the best comedies on t.v. right now. I'm diappointed that this thread didn't get many responses from other members, I mean their is a legion of 'Seinfeld' fans here in the forum, and I just know that if they all had HBO and could see just how hilarious this show is, they would instantly embrace it!
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Count me in as a die hard Curb Your Enthusiam fan. My sunday nights peak when I hear that music start up and have Larry David find himself in crazy situations every week.
I was in absolute tears when Larry made the "tush" comment a few weeks ago and try to back himself out of a corner on sexual fetishes with his wife. I was just in tears.
Can't wait for tonights episode.
-- Matt

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a new convert. The only episode I saw prior to this series was the pilot, but after enthusiastic encouragement from a couple of friends I've been watching this series.
I thought it started well with the car salesman episode, but each installment has been better than the last. The Halloween one last week was hysterical. I haven't seen tonight's episode yet but it's on the Tivo now, what am I waiting for? :)
------------------
Dave Smith
http://home.austin.rr.com/beowulf99

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Tonight's episode was a scream!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

He really couldn't get his foot out of his mouth at all in this one!
laugh.gif

And did you guys check out Julia Louis Dreyfus!? Damn that woman gets finer with age!
yum.gif
yum.gif

------------------

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Heh, I logged on to praise this show, and someone has already revived the old thread about it... :)
This is by far the best comedy show on TV right now. When we sat down to watch it tonight, my wife (who isn't a particularly big fan of it) said "Are they going to be arguing all the time again?". I said "Probably." :)
The way Larry David manages to piss everyone off and be completely obnoxious is better each and every week. It's a wonder that his wife can stand him. :) I absolutely loved tonight's episode, especially the argument over the shrimp in the HBO meeting room. And his "It's not TV? It's TV. Weat else is can it be? People watch it on their TV's!" was pretty funny. :)
I hope this series is released on DVD.
/Mike
------------------

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Looking forward to talking with you guys this week. Thanks.
------------------

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I've just seen this season's episodes so far and they are awesome! That man definitely has an enlarged Costanza!
Todd.
------------------
"He'll flip you, flip you for real."

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Even though it's sooo Seinfeld, it's also the most original comedy on TV. The improvised scenes work perfectly for LD's particular brand of cringe-inducing, situation comedy!
Fortunately, they've bumped it ahead of the stale lameness that is Mind of the Married Man (IMO, this one's even worse than Arliss).

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Just saw the new episode last night.
I think LD is great as an actor - at least at playing himself. I remember his cameos on Seinfeld and he sure sounds like George Steinbrenner!!
I wonder if they'll get Jerry and Michael Richards on as well?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how things will go with the show that Julia and Larry are working on? I assume she'll find out that Larry first offered it to Jason... :) I loved Larry's expression when she said "George was an idiot". :)
/Mike

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
For some reason - I can't explain my sense of humor - but it sent me to the floor, a'rollin', when Larry's manager was explaining how whatsizname had taken a leave of absence for being "shell-shocked" after Larry hurled the C-word at him...
In hindsight, I probably shoulda called him a pussy.
EDIT: thought twice and changed it to "the C-word"!
wink.gif

[Edited last by Al Brown on October 16, 2001 at 03:38 PM]

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Episode: The Shrimp Incident
I thought this was a good episode, not great. For me the seasons best is still the "Thor" epispode.
As it has been stated already, when Larry chided Marty (is it) on being a C-word. And the utter horror that followed.
Also I liked Jeffs advice that their is no such thing as an effiminate hetrosexual.. they are called gay.
-- Matt

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
MickeS, yes, this situation with Julia Louis Dreyfus finding out about Larry offering the role to Jason is a comic train accident waiting to happen!
Speaking of Julia, does it turn anyone else on whenever she says "Fuck"?
Having Jerry and Micheal on the show would be great to see too.
Al, I really like 'The Mind of the Married Man', I just love the frank and open language in the show, I think it's great, but that's just me.
biggrin.gif

------------------

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
The "Cobb Salad" episode KILLED me, especially LD ranting on those two girls on Halloween.
Todd.
------------------
"He'll flip you, flip you for real."

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
"where there any threats?" "Well no, aside from the trick threat" "The trick threat?" "yeah you know, no treat... then trick" "yeah" "How far can they take this... trick bang bang"
"Thats a hate crime... Bald Asshole.. we're a sect"
Great scene
-- Matt

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Two words: Beloved Aunt
wink.gif

Fourty-one more words:
I find it funny that people keep saying to LD that George Costanza was a loser and he keeps trying to hide his annoyance over it. Have they ever come right out and said that George was based on LD himself?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks