What's new

Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley and Mork & Mindy - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
TV Shows On DVD just posted a "rumor" from a reliable source that it looks like Paramount is planning to finally release the 2nd seasons of Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley and Mork & Mindy on April 17, 2007.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Glad to hear it. The first seasons of those shows were released along with Taxi Season 1. Could we be on the verge of hearing about Taxi Season 4?

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I sure hope this rumor is true!! I've been wanting the rest of Mork & Mindy and like many others figured this would never happen.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
Oh man, this is great news. I have been waiting for the second season of Happy Days for so long. The first two seasons are by far my favorite. I hope they are able to keep the music intact.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
It really makes sense to continue with Happy Days. While I don't care too much for the show beyond second season, that is when it really took off in popularity and the music issues lessen by third season as they really began to downplay all of the fifties elements of the show.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
this news really made my day. I believe Happy Days took a downturn after season 2 (Fonzie was better as a scene-stealing co-star to me) but I wanted that season, and I've always liked Laverne and Mork

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
If the rumors turn out to be true, we may have written off the "classic TV/DVD release" wagon too soon :) Over the last couple of years, it seems that the first few months of the year see a lot of classic TV releases. Not sure why they wait until after the holidays but it might have something to do with factory/production priorities...getting film DVD's out of the plants first during the holiday season. Just a guess.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
As I said before re: all the doom-sayers "mourning" Classic-TV-on-DVD, I think most of the studios were waiting out this year to see what kind of a monkey-wrench HD and Blu-Ray were throwing into the mix. Now that it's obvious they are going to remain niche markets for the forseeable future, the studios are reving up their classic releases again. Makes total sense, especially considering how many people on these very forums were stating they weren't going ahead with any continuing series, but were waiting for the HD editions.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I agree. I know this is a place for videophiles and audiophiles, but I think it'll be awhile because the average consumer is ready to leave DVD behind. Much like how SACD and DVD-Audio are superior to the standard CD in every way, but it is the standard CD that still prevails because a lot of people don't feel like repurchasing that Justin Timberlake cd they just bought on another format. Until one company prevails and the average person is ready to move on, HD and Blu-Ray is the new SACD and DVD-A, something that audiophiles know is superior but the average person doesn't care

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.
Schlemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated !

Beau

Supporting Actor
YAY! MORK! I had totally given up hope, so this comes as a really great surprise. No longer will the first season be sitting there alone on my shelf.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
First Mad About You, then the Rockford Files, then THESE Shows. It's unexpected but pleasent to see all these abandoned shows get additional DVD sets. If we hear news about Taxi, Night Court, Boy Meets World, those Nickelodeon Rewinds, and Everworlds... no, is that Evermore... Everquest..., we may never see another "abandoned show" thread here on the HTF.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
We're seeing lots of mini-miracles with regard to TV DVD's laterly. Mad About You, Twin Peaks, and now possibly Happy Days, L&S, Mork, Cosby & Different World.

This is especially great since series such as Buffy, Angel, Roseanne, Golden Girls, Ellen, Friends, M*A*S*H & All In The Family have either finished their runs or will likely be in the next year or so.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well, as I indignantly reply, "It's about time." I've never been able to understand why three of the most popular sitcoms of the 70s couldn't get a foothold in the dvd industry while utter crap sells and sells (no names; we all have a list of shows that we consider crap, and wonder why they're on the shelves).

In the case of these three shows, I restate here and now that Paramount must have made some kind of mistake with them in their initial release. Either they were too expensive, or the packaging was lousy, or there was too much competition from other stuff when they came out. I don't know which is true, maybe all of them. But I do believe there's a lot of interest in these shows and I won't be surprised if they do better the second time around. I just hope we don't have to wait 4 or 5 years between each release from now on, because it will therefore take Happy Days approximately 50 years to finish.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I think a lot had to do with music rights, season 2 of HD was known to have some costly music rights, My guess is that Paramount probably decided to go ahead and get it all taken care of (seasons 2-11, seasons 2-8 of L&S and seasons 2-4 of M&M) before revisiting the shows. Hopefully we'll see season 3's of all three shows by the end of 2007

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I doubt they cleared the music for all 11 seasons, but it's nice to know they're looking into these shows again.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I think after the 2nd season, most of the music used on Happy Days for the rest of the series was knock offs (mostly done by Anson Williams) who was under contract by Paramount. I doubt there will be any substantial delays (for future season sets) due to music negotiations after season 2 gets released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks