Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Third Man: OOP?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 Michael DK

Michael DK

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted December 03 2006 - 03:20 PM

I just rented The Third Man from Netflix and was so blown away I wanted to pick up the DVD at Amazon, but it appears to be out of print. Does anyone know if it will be re-released soon?

#2 of 29 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted December 03 2006 - 04:14 PM

Unless your thinking of another film, The Third Man is listed as being still in print on Criterion's site.

#3 of 29 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted December 03 2006 - 04:27 PM

Whoa, it really does seem to be out of print. It's only available from sellers at Amazon, for a minimum of something like $60. A few other sites have it listed as sold out, temporarily unavailable, etc. I've owned it for more than 6 years, but I had no idea it was going OOP. Is Criterion going to be re-releasing it? Or have the rights reverted to someone else? I'm really surprised by this.

#4 of 29 Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted December 03 2006 - 04:30 PM

Criterion still has the rights. They have confirmed to me that they are working on a special edition, and had planned to release it in November. Obviously, something has delayed it, but I hope and expect that it will turn up in 2007.

#5 of 29 Michael DK

Michael DK

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted December 03 2006 - 04:34 PM

Let's hope it not going to be a 60th anniversary edition; I don't want to wait until 2009!

#6 of 29 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 01:50 AM

Hopefully the new edition will include both cuts of the film... but otherwise, the existing DVD is pretty great. I'll double dip no matter what, though, since it's one of my favorite films.

#7 of 29 SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 01:53 AM

Ditto that! I hadn't heard about this upcoming SE, but I'll gladly double-dip as TTM is my favorite movie! (I suppose we'll get a commentary track on this new disc?)

#8 of 29 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,453 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted December 04 2006 - 03:49 AM

This is in my top 5 films, so I'll buy this. I'd sell the current one, but I think I'll give it to a friend or family member. The Third Man is a great and essential film, so a Criterion 2nd Edition is fully justified. I have no doubt that they'll pull out the stops for this.

Knowing their excellence, this ought to be a 2-disc edition with the great "Shadowing the Third Man" documentary.

#9 of 29 Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,852 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 04:04 AM

In my top three of all time, I'll definitely quadruple dip(VHS, laser and DVD) on this one.

#10 of 29 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 04:12 AM

If this is true, it seems like CC is reworking all of their early titles. Could the early Hitchcock's (39 Steps & lady Vanishes) be far behind? What other early titles might they be reworking?

#11 of 29 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Newcomb
Criterion still has the rights. They have confirmed to me that they are working on a special edition, and had planned to release it in November. Obviously, something has delayed it, but I hope and expect that it will turn up in 2007.

That's great. I haven't watched it in a while, but as I remember it, the transfer on the current disc still holds up pretty well, even though it was one of their earlier ones.

#12 of 29 Jim-M

Jim-M

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 04:38 AM

Columbia House still has it. If you go that route, go to the DVDTalk Club forum and find out about enrollment codes, special offers, how to minimize expenses, etc. I got my copy there for about $5 when all costs are averaged out.

#13 of 29 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,519 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Beam
Hopefully the new edition will include both cuts of the film... but otherwise, the existing DVD is pretty great. I'll double dip no matter what, though, since it's one of my favorite films.

Huh, I wasn't aware there were two versions of the film. Learn something every day I guess. How are the two cuts different?
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#14 of 29 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,034 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 04 2006 - 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson
If this is true, it seems like CC is reworking all of their early titles. Could the early Hitchcock's (39 Steps & lady Vanishes) be far behind? What other early titles might they be reworking?

Criterion won't re-author all their early titles. On their blog, they've said:

"Why do we rerelease a title? What’s next, and are there rebate programs? I actually answered this in detail in the March 2006 newsletter. In short, we only rerelease a film if we can do a significantly better job with either the film transfer, the supplements, or hopefully both. We know there are a good two-dozen early releases (Andrei Rublev and Shock Corridor, to name just a couple) that need to be redone, and we’ll probably get to them at a rate of three to four a year. I tried to find a rebate program for customers who already owned the discs. We had one for Charade. It didn’t work. The participation was very low. The cost was very high, and we couldn’t effectively price the disc without competing with our retailers in a way we found uncomfortable."

The known "in the works" re-releases are:

Andrei Rublev
Shock Corridor
The Third Man
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Salo

There are also rumors of re-authoring High & Low.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#15 of 29 David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,402 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 07:03 AM

Quote:
Huh, I wasn't aware there were two versions of the film. Learn something every day I guess. How are the two cuts different?

There are "British" and "American" cuts of the film, with different openings. The current British version opens with a narration by Carol Reed as if he is telling a story he'd heard about Holly Martins' search for Harry Lime. The first time I saw TTM, it was an atrocious VHS of the American version. That version featured Joseph Cotten as Holly Martins saying essentially the same thing Carol Reed says in the original British version. There are probably other differences, but that was the main thing I remembered.

#16 of 29 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 07:23 AM

The current DVD has the Cotten-narrated American opening as a bonus feature. David O. Selznick made a few other edits for the original US release, but I don't see much need for both cuts in their entirety to be on a new DVD release.

#17 of 29 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,676 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggai
I don't see much need for both cuts in their entirety to be on a new DVD release.

Well, I'm sure some of us would disagree. The two cuts are different enough for TCM to air them both, and since the DVD format can handle multiple versions of a film via seamless branching, why not include both?

#18 of 29 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 07:49 AM

Oh, TCM has aired both versions? I didn't realize that.

Has Criterion ever done branching before? Off the top of my head I can't think of a time they've done that, though I could certainly be wrong.

#19 of 29 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 07:57 AM

Quote:
The known "in the works" re-releases are:
...Salo

I wonder if they're doing this to stem the tide of bootlegs floating around?

#20 of 29 MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DK
I just rented The Third Man from Netflix and was so blown away I wanted to pick up the DVD at Amazon...

That's funny. I just watched it from Netflix as well and had a similar reaction. It was an awesome film. Now I'm trying to watch 8 1/2 and it literally put my to sleep. Hopefully it will draw me in soon.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow