-

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#61 of 73 OFFLINE   Travis_S

Travis_S

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Missouri

Posted December 17 2006 - 09:10 AM

Am I the only one who really, really liked this movie and preferred it to the original?

I thought so.

#62 of 73 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_S
Am I the only one who really, really liked this movie and preferred it to the original?

I thought so.

I'm with you. And I assume so does the general public as it is not only the top grossing film of the year but on pace to be the top selling live action DVD of all time.

#63 of 73 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,201 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 11:52 AM

No offense guys, but "the general public" also likes "The Simple Life" and "American Idol". Posted Image

As for me, I'll put "Dead Man's Chest" at a 4 and "Curse of the Black Pearl" at an 8 on a scale of 1-10.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#64 of 73 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,016 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 17 2006 - 02:53 PM

I liked this (not as much as the original) but I'm confused how anyone that liked the original and hates this one. They're pretty much the same movie- one just has bigger, crazier crap in it than the other. Posted Image

#65 of 73 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 03:29 PM

I watched this for a second time recently and I do think the first movie was better - however, I still enjoyed this again.

#66 of 73 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,265 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 11:02 PM

Quote:
I liked this (not as much as the original) but I'm confused how anyone that liked the original and hates this one. They're pretty much the same movie- one just has bigger, crazier crap in it than the other.
Easy, the second one has none of the charm of the first and the Jack Sparrow character is the prime example. In this one he is just a selfish jerk.

Then again, I thought the first one was a 6.5-7/10 at best and lacked any depth that necessitated repeated viewings.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#67 of 73 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted December 18 2006 - 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma
Easy, the second one has none of the charm of the first and the Jack Sparrow character is the prime example. In this one he is just a selfish jerk.

well, I also think the first one suffers from some of the same flaws, but it was "fresh" and "new" and so it cut against all our expectations.

Plus, this one really isn't a continuation of the first (a la Star Wars) so it doesn't really offer any new or continuing revelation.

#68 of 73 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted December 19 2006 - 01:43 AM

Has anyone noticed and audio glitches in the beginning with the thumping of the heartbeat? I had a crackle a couple of times in the beginning. Player seems fine. Did not watch thru the home theater system because wife was asleep at the time.

#69 of 73 OFFLINE   Chris Roberts

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted December 19 2006 - 02:21 AM

Forgot to post this before. I bought the single-disc version and the disc says "DISC 1" on it. I'm guessing that means its literally the same disc as the DISC 1 in the two-disc version.

#70 of 73 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted December 20 2006 - 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_S

I thought so.

I think many people underestimated Geoffrey Rush's contribution to the first film. Davy Jones is a great CGI achievement, but he's not near the heavy that Barbossa was.

Although I feel lukewarm about the second film, I greatly anticipate the third film since it has Rush in it.

#71 of 73 OFFLINE   Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted January 01 2007 - 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyFraser
Excellent picture quality except in the very dark scenes. It was all black. However, I'm sure this is the fault of my display, as I've viewed several discs and movies on my sister's newer LCD and the contrast is much more pronounced. The scenes filmed in the daylight and sunlight were excellent, nighttime, indoor sceens were one black blur.
The movie itself is, I find, much more enjoyable on second and subsequent viewings.

If nighttime indoor scenes are one black blur, the display needs to be calibrated. The "Brightness" setting controls where the darkest black is - if you can't see anything in dark scenes, this is set too low. The "Contrast" setting controls the level of the brightest white - set this too high and you lose detail in the bright areas and things become overly bright or saturated, and set too low everything looks hazy.

#72 of 73 OFFLINE   Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted January 01 2007 - 02:53 PM

I saw this on opening day in the theater with my wife - we both had a great time, with lots of action and laughs. I got the DVD for Christmas, although I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Of course the movie wasn't perfect, but it's ironic that people crap on this movie so much and go on to praise some really crappy movies (by any standard, except maybe "amount of bass").

#73 of 73 OFFLINE   RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted January 02 2007 - 05:54 AM

I got this DVD for xmas and watched it for the first time on Sunday. I really enjoyed it the only thing is with that ending I can't wait for the 3rd movie. What a way to end it.

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow