Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The TAMI show is coming out... BUT--

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Kevin Segura

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 12:05 PM

According to this thread over on the Steve Hoffman Forums:

http://stevehoffman....ead.php?t=96156

The TAMI show, a revue featuring many of the top rock acts of the 1960s, is now being readied for home video release. They've apparently been able to find some 35mm masters to work with, so the source material should be a big improvement over the previous excerpts used in the "That Was Rock" VHS/LD release.

And now, here's the "BUT--"

This show was originally recorded on videotape, and then transferred to film for it's theatrical showings. So, while it's fantastic that they've managed to locate some original quality film elements, the resulting DVD release is essentially going to be of a (high quality) kinescope. And I hope I'm not alone in thinking this would be a shame. With the development of LiveFeed, there's no reason that this has to happen-- especially for what appears to be an otherwise definitive version of this title.

It would be, I think, somewhat untoward for me to say much more about how much the use of LiveFeed would help this project, so I won't... but I would point out that there is now absolutely no reason that the program has to go out looking like a kinescope. I would hope that the Elvis/Ed Sullivan DVDs have effectively raised the bar (and the fan's expectations) beyond that.

If that's the case though, the fans are going to have to let the producers know that. If you feel that this will be a deciding factor in whether or not you purchase this DVD, then you should contact Dick Clark Productions to let them know. Their contact information is available here:

http://www.dickclark....com/index.html

Should you contact them, please let them know **politely** what your views are...

In any event, thanks for your attention, everyone!

-Kevin

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,926 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 02:20 PM

Then there's the question of whether the Beach Boys footage will be used- apparently they had their segment withdrawn a few years later....
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 02:40 PM

How is Dick Clark's health these days (if anyone knows)? I haven't seen him on TV in a long time.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted June 03 2007 - 10:20 AM

Bad news!!!

Visit Steve Hoffman Forum, read Post #129:

http://www.stevehoff....t=96156&page=7

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,313 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 03 2007 - 11:34 AM

Bad link!!!! Either use the "Globe/chain" icon to paste in the full like or convert it at TinyURL and past the tiny version. Regards, Joe

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   alphanguy

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted June 03 2007 - 05:34 PM

I'm sure I'll pick this up if there's going to be an improvement in picture quality. My only concern is the SOUND. That GOD AWFUL teenage scream track throughout the show jsut totally marred it, It's especially bad on Tina Turner's portion, it's so loud you can't hear what the heck theyr'e singing, was the original film like this? The "That was Rock" release was pretty dismal, but I was thrilled with it at the time, in the 80's it didn't take much to please, did it? I certinaly could have done without all the editorial comments in between performances. Hell, Chuck.... we all know Diana Ross left the Supremes and went on to her own stardom, too bad you couldn't mention that the Supremes had 8 more top 40 hits WITHOUT her.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 12:42 AM

I cut 'n pasted the message below: "Here is some recent info on why the TAMI Show DVD has been temporarily been put on the back burner for awhile. Although Dick Clark has the right to release this on DVD, the music publishing companies involved have not OK'd the music published in this DVD. (Licensing fees of course). And this is the same reason why Paul Shaffer's British tribute DVD recorded at B. B. King's nightclub was shelved too. The money raised by this DVD was partially going to go to help pay some of Mike Smith's medical bills."

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,926 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 01:22 AM

For those who don't know, Mike Smith is the former lead singer of the Dave Clark Five who was paralyzed in an accident a few years back. Something has got to be done about this whole music licensing issue- it's screwing up releases of TV shows and films on DVD!! This is definitely an issue that should be explored at the government level- perhaps a Congressional hearing.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Kevin Segura

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 05:59 AM

I have to respectfully disagree, Charles. The only reason given in this case is "music licensing". Does this mean that the issuing company expected music rights to be included in the footage licensing fee that they paid to Dick Clark's production company? If so, that's either somewhat naive, or at the very least pretty unrealistic. Does it meant they consider anything over five bucks to be too much to pay for all of the music rights? Did they announce the project before they'd tied down all of the underlying publishing rights, thereby putting themselves in a **very** disadvantageous negotiating position? As you can see, there are just too many unknowns here to solely lay the blame with the music publishers... -Kevin

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,352 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 06:03 AM

The TAMI Show really is coming - March 23. Looks to be the full show from what I read:

Quote:
This legendary film has never been available on DVD and has not been seen in its entirety since it originally appeared in theaters in 1964. Mastered from a new High Definition transfer and UNCUT, this complete version features the Beach Boys performances that were removed following the films initial theatrical run.

http://www.amazon.com/T-M-I-Show-Collectors/dp/B0030ATZIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1265482843&sr=8-1

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,135 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 06 2010 - 08:07 AM

Great News.  Can The Big T.N.T Show be far behind?
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,926 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 09:45 AM

Now if only the original videotapes were located....

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,120 posts

Posted February 06 2010 - 06:29 PM

I don't think they mean "high definition" the way we think of it today. That sounds a bit misleading. I'm shocked that this is supposedly coming out. I would never have suspected it.  I'm hoping it will do very well and lead to T.N.T. Show, American Bandstand, Solid Gold, Hollywood Palace, etc.

Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users