Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Do all current HD players at least decode and output multi PCM via HDMI?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 11:34 AM

Hi guys, Been breaking my head over which unit to buy for HD-DVD and which to get for BD. Wanted the HD-A1 for it's 5.1 analog and the good deals available recently. However it has become quite scarce in Montreal, Canada. Hate to pay more for the HD-A2 and NOT get analog out. However if I upgrade my receiver to the Elite VSX-84 it can apparently accept the multi channel PCM over HDMI if the player decodes it. If I don't need analog out can I safely assume all HD-DVD and BD players at least decode HD audio and send it over HDMI?
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor

• 521 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 12:09 PM

No. Toshiba HD DVD X/A1 players currently cannot decode the vaious DTS HD formats. There are no HD DVD titles with DTS HD yet. But with firmware 2.0 can decode the Dolby HD tracks. The Panasonic BD10, Samsung BD-P1000, and Sony BDP-S1 player cannot decode any Dolby/DTS HD formats. The Panasonic mentions about a firmware upgrade that will enable it. The Samsung has no audio decoders at all so the HDMI and analog multich are useful for mainly PCM tracks. The Sony currently can only decode the "Core" lossy tracks, not the lossless tracks via HDMI, and analog Mch. Playstation 3 can decode Dolby TrueHD and output via HDMI. Currenly has no analog Mch. I think I got most of that right... any corrections are welcome.
--/
tkmedia

Blu-Ray, HD DVD, WMV-HD DVD-ROM, D-Theater D-VHS, D5HD, HDCAM, W-VHS, MUSE LD, HDVS LD.
-too much recorded HD not enough time.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 02:52 PM

Tony, SO what happens if you have a Blu-Ray disc with no PCM and you don't connect HDMI? If you were using optical or the analog outs, what would you get?
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor

• 521 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 03:32 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to ask. Most BD movies have Dolby Digital or DTS at a higher bitrate than most DVD's. There's ony a small number of titles with Dolby HD. Most Fox titles with DTS HD. But DTS HD currently cannot be decoded so DTS core is used. PCM is uncompressed so it dont require decoding.
--/
tkmedia

Blu-Ray, HD DVD, WMV-HD DVD-ROM, D-Theater D-VHS, D5HD, HDCAM, W-VHS, MUSE LD, HDVS LD.
-too much recorded HD not enough time.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 06:49 PM

I think you answered my question Tony-thanks. I just wanted to make sure I'd be getting better than DVD 5.1 audio even if I didnt' use HDMI.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users