Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Bad Review for "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" HD DVD - Contradicted here!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 of 54 chuckamuck

chuckamuck

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 04:06 AM

Sounds like Warner doesn't deliver the A/V quality goods on every release:

http://hddvd.highdef...asvacation.html

#2 of 54 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,993 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 30 2006 - 06:09 AM

in case you dont fell like or dont want to go to the link.

"'Christmas Vacation' is presented in 1.78:1 widescreen and 1080p/VC-1 video. Blacks are fine, but contrast lacks pop. Most scenes look flat and two-dimensional. Softness is also all over the place -- some scenes are nice and crisp, others fuzzy and ill-defined. Colors can be fairly well saturated, but again they are inconsistent -- some shots are as icky and pasty as an over-the-air standard-def broadcast. Hues certainly never leap off the screen like you expect on even the most marginal high-def transfer. Fleshtones also look too red, making Chevy Chase's already-round face even more piggish. A low level of grain also permeates the transfer, and dirt and speckles are frequent, if still minor."

facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 54 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 06:11 AM

Oh well, still a must-buy for me. Then I can retire my original, first edition release...
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#4 of 54 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 06:25 AM

A lump of coal from Warner.

#5 of 54 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
in case you dont fell like or dont want to go to the link.

"'Christmas Vacation' is presented in 1.78:1 widescreen and 1080p/VC-1 video. Blacks are fine, but contrast lacks pop. Most scenes look flat and two-dimensional. Softness is also all over the place -- some scenes are nice and crisp, others fuzzy and ill-defined. Colors can be fairly well saturated, but again they are inconsistent -- some shots are as icky and pasty as an over-the-air standard-def broadcast. Hues certainly never leap off the screen like you expect on even the most marginal high-def transfer. Fleshtones also look too red, making Chevy Chase's already-round face even more piggish. A low level of grain also permeates the transfer, and dirt and speckles are frequent, if still minor."

I think it is important to add the first paragraph of the review.

Quote:
As much as I would love to spread some holiday Warner's way, I have to be a Scrooge and admit this is probably the weakest HD DVD release I've seen yet from the studio. Certainly, it is not terrible, and compared to standard-def DVD, it's still a marked improvement. But the source material is dated and in great need of a genuine clean-up. This feels like a tossed-off transfer at best.

This movie has never looked good. I remember it in the theaters, and even then, would not have called the film stellar in any sense of the word.

The DVD release was even worse. As this is a movie most of my relatives want to see yearly, I will fork out the money for it, but I don't think I ever expected much from this release.

Hopefully, Christmas Story will be one of Warners fine quality releases. If it is not, I would find that a major disappointment.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#6 of 54 AaronSCH

AaronSCH

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 07:06 AM

I think a bit of crucial information was left out. I always find thoughts taken out of context to be suspect. Here is the little piece of info TonyD left out:
Quote:
Certainly, it is not terrible, and compared to standard-def DVD, it's still a marked improvement. But the source material is dated and in great need of a genuine clean-up. This feels like a tossed-off transfer at best.

This isn't the first nor will it be the last transfer to HD DVD or Blu-ray that could have used a thorough clean-up. I guess the decision you need to make is whether the improvement over the SD is good enough to warrant a re-purchase. I never cared much for Chevy Chase's brand of sophomoric humor. Time hasn't been kind to his theatrical efforts. So I guess I will be picking up Bob Clark's film of Jean Shepherd's homage to Christmas... I just hope the reviews are positive.

#7 of 54 AaronSCH

AaronSCH

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 07:10 AM

...now that is scary. I guess you beat me to the punch, Thomas.

#8 of 54 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 07:43 AM

In this case:
Don't KILL the format.
KILL the source!

People can buy, if they wish, this title with confidence, according to the review posted by the OP:
"compared to standard-def DVD, it's still a marked improvement".

Happy Holidays!!!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#9 of 54 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,993 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 30 2006 - 08:16 AM

i'm gonna buy it anyway.
i love the movie.

i just copied the last paragraph from the section that reviewd that image.

i didnt add the entire section because i figured most would go there anyway.

facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 54 Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,853 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 08:57 AM

Great flick. I'm short on cash because of the holiday crunch, but I'll definitely rent it from Netflix. I'll buy it it in time for Christmas next year.

#11 of 54 Brent T

Brent T

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 09:35 AM

I will be getting it anyway. I know I wore out my taped version of it and I cant wait to send my standard dvd up to my cabin. The HD version may not be perfect but it has to be an improvement over the standard dvd which wasn't that great either.

#12 of 54 chuckamuck

chuckamuck

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed St. Clair
In this case:
Don't KILL the format.
KILL the source!

A good lesson in any case, not just this one -- no matter whether the format is HD DVD or Blu-ray.

For clarity's sake, I pointed out from the get-go that this was a Warner Bros. problem.

#13 of 54 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckamuck
A good lesson in any case, not just this one -- no matter whether the format is HD DVD or Blu-ray.

For clarity's sake, I pointed out from the get-go that this was a Warner Bros. problem.
I think (hope anyway) we are all on your side on this one, Chuck!

Maybe when "every" HD Disc title is selling like a million zillion copies, we'll always get pristine/fully restored sources for transfer.
Here's hoping!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#14 of 54 Paul Borges

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 12:49 PM

I don't think you can expect much better with 'The Christmas Story'. I mean the DVD doesn't look reference, so why should the HD-DVD? Probably accurate to the source. Only the very very few titles get the totally cleaned up 'Loewry' style treatment ala Cinderella or Bambi or Casablanca.

#15 of 54 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,492 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 12:55 PM

A Christmas Story has a very stylized look. I wouldn't expect that one to be HD demo material either. It is still the best X-mas movie EVER, so I'm looking forward to it.

Also planing to get Christmas Vacation. What a fun film!
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#16 of 54 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,616 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 02:14 PM

Well, if it's a marked improvement then it's a no brainer for me. Posted Image Actually, I pre-ordered about 2 weeks ago anyway....Can't wait. Will it look as good as Batman Begins or Superman Returns? No. Is is funnier? Yes! Posted Image

#17 of 54 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,119 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 30 2006 - 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_E
Oh well, still a must-buy for me. Then I can retire my original, first edition release...
Another prime candidate that I will not upgrade to HD DVD, but instead will let my VP50 video processor do its upconvert magic on the SD DVD disc I have in my collection.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#18 of 54 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 09:29 AM

Bun-O-Vision

Would be cool if that were a bonus feature. Posted Image

#19 of 54 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted December 05 2006 - 12:48 AM

http://www.dvdfanati....php?id=0612033

I was gonna pass on this and get the SD, but I read thats so bad I may as well pick up the HD

#20 of 54 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,616 posts

Posted December 05 2006 - 04:35 AM

My Xmas Vacation HD-DVD was shipped yesterday. Should be here Wednesday! Not expecting it to be the reference disc of the year....but I know I'll be laughing so hard I won't really care too much. Posted Image Although when "Mary" displays her "no lines" legs in High Def, if it's at all clearer than the SD version then Posted Image Posted Image

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow