What's new

Tom's Hardware: HD DVD wins, Blu-Ray loses! (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I think it is a little early to call a winner. I have been one whose has never thought the games systems would be the impact to this war some many thought would.

It is certainly true that Saony has, and will continue to miss their mark by a laughable margin, and that the XBox is selling at a very swift pace (wish I had some numbers of the HD-DVD Add-On drive)

chuckamuck

Grip
Real Name
Jayson
It's way too early for anyone to call this race.

I think both formats are going to be around for some time. It will be more interesting to see how things shape up when the stand-alone players duke it out in the new year.

James D S

Screenwriter
Sony's root kits, and the fiasco that ensued, had nothing to do with bad luck, just bad judgment.

And it's this continued bad judgment that continues to dig Sony's hole deeper.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
Oh please... this "article" is nothing but pure specualtion without an ounce of fact.

David Ely

Supporting Actor

It's a shame that nearly all information found on Tom's site can be summerized like that. I remember when it was a site you could trust. Those days are long gone.

On that note, I agree the race is still on. I think HD-DVD does have a leg up at this point, but it's still a close race. I have the Toshiba HD-DVD player and my PS3 should be here early next week. Either way, I'm covered no matter what happens :)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
It's not even Tom's Hardware.

It's a link to an opinion from an industry analyst.

Who incidentally is predicting the iPod's failure against the Zune.
Or leaving out the fact that the entire industry (save Tosh & MS) support Blu-ray disc.

More FUD from the HD DVD fanatics.

Fact: BD continues to gain ground. PS3 is selling BD movies, stores I go to have noticable holes in their once full BD stocks.

Fact: HD DVD is DOA overseas, especially in Asia.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

As are all predictions. That neither makes it valid or invalid, just an opinion. By the way, 'without out an ounce of fact'? Actually, there were many accurate facts intermingled with conjecture in the article. How you decide to interpet the facts is the only thing in question. It is an understatement to call Sony's PS3 release anything less than a disaster for the BD camp, but it is a over-reach to call the war any where near over.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Would you call these comments more FUD from BD fanatics. Where are the facts of these statements? Link the BD sell through numbers you are referencing? Or the reference to HD being dead in Asia. Talk about spreading FUD.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Definitely some pot, kettle, black action going on. I don't want to come across as personally attacking anyone on the board, but objectivity is quickly going the way of the dodo for fans of both camps.

The article is interesting, but to say there will be a winner decided by year's end is insane. HD has had some victories I did not think it would with some strategies I did no think would work that did. Blu made some horrible missteps early on, but I think it's starting to gain back ground with help from Fox, and to a lesser extent the PS3. I'm always a fan of the underdog, so I've made it no secret I'm rooting for HD-DVD, but at the same time I'm hoping to get my hands on a Blu-Ray player as soon as I can, as once you've sampled one side, you can't help but want to jump to the other side as well. Both sides have their advantages and disadvantages at this point, and if you can afford it, I'd say it's well worth sampling both. Even if my HD-A1 becomes a player for a dead format, it still produces the best audio of any DVD/HD-DVD/CD player I've heard,and for that alone is worth the $300 for a refurb.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator

Peter I wouldnt say exactly dead, Im in Japan and I know several people who are enjoying HD DVD, simply due to one its cheaper, two they love the PQ. I am onboard with the format as well and love it.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Well, of course. But it's selling about as well as the XBOX 360 is there too.
Blu-ray has a sizable lead, and several recorders are on/coming to market.

The HD DVD success story is strictly a North American phenomenon right now.

I think it speaks volumes of the American need for instant gratification and lack of long term view.

Pete T C

Second Unit

Or more likely, the American value of "Bang for your buck," where HD DVD delivers and Blu-Ray does not. :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If the thinking is that a less expensive set top BR player isn't need, that's way off. I think the number of people buying the PS3 solely for BR playback is miniscule.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

When the PS3 becomes readily available, maybe next March, you might have a point. At present, the PS3 has little to no availability, and little expectation to have availability until well into next year.

This thread topic is quite misleading. Tom's Hardware did not make this statement, some unaffilated analyst did. In addition it was 100% speculation (and not very insightful speculation at that).

I honestly don't care which format ends up on top, and if individuals want to latch on to one or the other and create some kind of emotional bond to it I don't care. Until we have a clear winner we're all losers.

Manus

Second Unit
" and if individuals want to latch on to one or the other and create some kind of emotional bond to it I don't care. "

Totally agree. I'm sick of the usual suspects being ever forgiving of errors or blunders of their format of choice while at the same time taking every opportunity to do down the opposition. It really isn't intelligent or educational and definitely no longer entertaining .

~M~

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks