What's new

WILD WILD WEST S2 RELEASE 03/20/07! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
:cool: Posted this morning at TSoD

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6659

Maybe we shouldn't give up on the classic releases so fast. Seems like it's picking up some after a slow-down for a couple of months. I've noticed this trend (Jan-Mar) during the last 2 years as well.

Back on WWW; I didn't wait and got S1 from Columbia House since I'd figured (WRONG) that this one wouldn't see a DVD release. "Ye must have faith" :D

Thanks to Gord as usual for the news post!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah Yay ! I wish they would come out a bit faster , but I am still winding my way thru the set. Now where's Have Gun Will Travel ?

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I also have the Columbia House volumes (well, the first 10 discs anyway), and that's the only reason I didn't buy the box set of Season 1 before. But the 10th volume has only the first 3 episodes of the 2nd season, so I'll definitely be looking forward to that. :cool:

Jerome

Second Unit
the complete series (+ the two TV Movies) has just been released in France and the box is awesome. I received it yesterday.

S

silverking

Dose it have French subtitles you can't turn off though ?
Thw 'Wanted Dead or Alive' sets do.

Incidentally Columbia House released a further 5 discs of S2 episodes.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Yes, I read that somewhere late in 2004 after I bought the first 31 episodes on DVD from Columbia House. But when I attempted to purchase additional 2nd season discs, they were out of stock every time I tried. They kept coming up with the same excuse. I think it was because they were no longer duplicating WWW due to poor sales due to the overinflated multi-volume prices.

In a way my waiting to buy the remaining Season 2 discs is a good thing, because I even back then I had a feeling that The Wild Wild West would come out in full season sets, and sure enough it happened and is still happening via CBS Video / Paramount....

As for the 2nd season in France, that picture is indeed impressive. But why would they have French subtitles? So many discs here in the U.S. have dialog dubbed in French and Spanish on alternate tracks. If the producers of the French release set of WWW were smart, they would have put the original American version (the English language track) as a secondary track, and a dubbed French version as the primary track -- the opposite of how it's done here. :) Is that how this set was done?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
That French set looks like it would be full of scratched discs!

I had the first 3 CH Volumes and then stopped that collection. I sold volumes 2 and 3. I never really liked the first season of that show anyway. But count me in for season 2!

Charles H

Screenwriter
WILD, WILD WEST is my favorite all-time western and I understand that the sales were pretty good. Does anyone know how CHEYENNE and WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE fared in sales? I'd love to have the complete seasons of each of those. And what happened to MAVERICK?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Charles, I checked the Amazon lists the other day and, although it's not known how they translate into actual units sold, they can be used to speculate on sales activity. Here's what I found on some selected titles:

On the amazon list of just TV Western Bestsellers:
Cheyenne S1 is #5 of 378 TV Western Titles Listed
Wild Wild West S1 is #9
Rawhide S1 is #13
Maverick Favorites is #22
Big Valley S1 is #25
Big Valley S2 V1 pre-order is #30
Wanted Dead Or Alive is #70.

On the Amazon all DVDs list of 130,886 titles available on the day I checked,Wanted Dead Or Alive had a Sales Rank of 33,176. Seems low but when you consider the number of DVDs on the list, Wanted Dead Or Alive is in the top 27% of bestselling DVDs at Amazon.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I was fortunate enough to get Season 2 today and watched part of the first episode " Night Of The Eccentrics " and have to say that it is nice to finally watch them in color - which by the way looks great. There are no extras this time around though. Maybe Paramount is saving something for Season 3. Nice to finally have it in time for the weekend!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, as I posted months ago above, I got to re-watch "The Night of Eccentrics", "The Night of the Raven", and the first episode filmed in color "The Night of the Golden Cobra" (the Boris Karloff one) a few years ago when I bought the first 10 Columbia House DVDs. (I re-purchased the first season by getting the 40th Anniversary edition a few months ago). So as long as there are no audio commentaries on this 2nd season set, that's three less I'll be viewing this time around. I watched the entire series on a Philadelphia station in the late 1980s, and they've since gone out of business.

Actually, I have some other things I plan to buy first this month: such as the 2003 DVD release of the original 1959-1960 half-hour episodes of Danger Man. The reason I'm getting it now is because DeepDiscount.com is having a special March sale with all of their A & E titles at 50% off. So I can get that set for $50 and the entire hour Danger Man (a.k.a. Secret Agent) shows (Seasons 2, 3, and 4) for $74. :cool:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Jeff, that $74.98 Secret Agent set, at deepdiscount, is a new combined release of the Complete Series, all 86 Danger Man/ Secret Agent episodes.(39 half-hour shows and 47 hour shows, including the two in color.)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Really? Thanks for filling me in on that, Bob! I came very close to ordering the older $50 set but I'm glad I waited! :) Now I'm going to order the $74.98 one.

I figured that larger set had the two-part "Koroshi", which is why I listed "Season 4" of Danger Man in my previous post as it was the only 4th season offering (if we can call just two episodes a season). Patrick McGoohan basically cancelled his own show in favor of his next series The Prisoner, and it was the best decision he ever made!

Was The Prisoner re-released as well in thinner packs within a smaller box? I bought that megaset a few years ago and it does take up a lot of shelf space for just 17 episodes and a documentary.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I wouldn't be expecting anything in the following seasons. paramount has a modsus operandi. Usually they put extras on one season and only one season. They have followed this with the Brady Bunch and Hogan's Heroes.
It's a shame because Wild Wild West is one of the few classic series in which the lead actor is still alive. And I also have heard that Robert Conrad is not in great health. hat males the omission of commentaries even more glaring.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I really enjoyed Bob Conrad's commentary on the pilot on the S1 set, and wish he was,or will be, interviewed about the stunts and stunt crew of WWW. (Sometimes Paramount does extras on later sets. Paul Brownstein stated during his shokusradio interview, last month, that he had just started working on extras for the 50th Anniversary of Perry Mason.)

Jeff, "The Prisoner 40th Ann.Complete Series" was re-released in 2006, boxed with slimpacks, but there were 10 of them so the box still takes up three inches of shelf space.(And don't forget to get the real last "Danger Man" adventure: "Ice Station Zebra".)

Susan Nunes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Susan Nunes
That's another set I'll have to get. I also made note of the upcoming releases The Untouchables, and the second seasons of F Troop and Rawhide.

I've been saying on this board to cut the studios a little bit of slack here when it comes to the classic television series, especially when the series in question has a cult following. All of the above shows do, and I expect fans will be able to eventually get the complete series.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, if you count the feature film "Ice Station Zebra", Bob, then you would also have to include the 1975 COLUMBO episode "Identity Crisis" and the 1985 New York stage play "Pack of Lies", in which McGoohan played a British secret agent working in East Germany and living with a family trying to get them across the Iron Curtain. I saw that play live over 20 years ago.

There's only one Number Six and he wasn't the same character elsewhere. ;)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
One of the lead actors you mean, since Ross Martin died 26 years ago.

Even if Conrad's health is poor, he can still talk clearly and his memory is sharp. Doing a commentary or interview is the easiest thing a person can do.

Another classic series from that era in which the two main leads are alive is The Man from U.N.C.L.E. starring Robert Vaughn & David McCallum. Vaughn is very interested in seeing a DVD release of that series produced, and I have no doubt he would do some commentaries. McCallum I'm not so sure about, although he did recently give a short interview to TV GUIDE. Both men are regulars on other TV series now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks