Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Bose

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 RichardJB

RichardJB

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted November 28 2006 - 10:33 AM

Why not Bose for 5.1 system?

#2 of 18 mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,683 posts

Posted November 28 2006 - 10:53 AM

Do we really need to do this again? I mean, come on, seriously!
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#3 of 18 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,522 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted November 28 2006 - 11:08 AM

Search and you shall find more than enough info.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 18 AlanZ

AlanZ

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted November 28 2006 - 12:15 PM

Richard, you've been here for a year and a half....how could you possibly not know why people advise against Bose?? lol
"Come on you Fockers....CONGA!!!"
-Dustin Hoffman as 'Bernie Focker'

Updated Equipment List

#5 of 18 Frank A

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted November 28 2006 - 03:15 PM

Richard, this is my opinion only. I know nothing about Bose (not ever having owned a set and only hearing it at store demos). I have read quite a bit on the internet that is less than good about it, though, as I am sure you are aware, also.

That being said, almost all people on these forums say that if you like the sound of your system, then that is what counts. If it sounds good to you and you like the looks of it and the price is OK for you, then I say go for it. It is your system and you are the one listening to it. I have no idea how/if you can set it up as 5.1, but would guess that it can be done.

I would just be prepared/have a thick skin when it comes to posting about it on these types of forums, as Bose is not well liked for various reasons.

Also, I can point you to a forum that is specific to Bose products, if you wish?
(although I have never visited it).

Good luck, Frank

#6 of 18 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted November 29 2006 - 01:06 AM

Honest answer? You are (over)paying for the name, which has been established through sharp and expensive marketing, rather than any audio expertise, for the last 30 or so years. Only Bose's overwhelming marketing department could put out a system with a large gap in frequency response between their "bass unit" (can't call it a sub, it's not "sub" anything) and their mains and have people say it sounds great. That's just one reason.

Want more?

#7 of 18 Alan M

Alan M

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted November 29 2006 - 01:31 AM

I agree Z,

Richard's been a member for over a year.He's trolling.

#8 of 18 Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted November 29 2006 - 05:22 AM

Come on now Jeff. What does frequency response matter these days? Check out Stereophile's review of the $40K+ Zanden on their webpage.

#9 of 18 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,522 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted November 29 2006 - 05:44 AM

It is bass module Posted Image

Could somebody ban this guy please if he is just trolling?
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#10 of 18 mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,683 posts

Posted November 29 2006 - 05:52 AM

I just cannot figure out why someone would want to troll if they know better, especially being a member here for over a year. Another weird occurence I had was in the "hardware for sale" thread, in which I had ( and still do have ) a subwoofer for sale. Only two people even inquired about it, the first has been a member here since 2003 and only has a couple of posts responding to a sale item but so far has bought nothing that I could see. Who signs up here and doesn't post??Posted Image
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#11 of 18 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted November 29 2006 - 07:32 AM

I give up! Bose is wonderful. Buy a $4000 lifestyle® system and be happy. Wire your system with Monster® cables, and come back to HTF to talk about movies & TV.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#12 of 18 AlanZ

AlanZ

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted November 29 2006 - 08:22 AM

One positive thing about Bose threads....they are almost always good for a laugh Posted Image
"Come on you Fockers....CONGA!!!"
-Dustin Hoffman as 'Bernie Focker'

Updated Equipment List

#13 of 18 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted November 29 2006 - 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Garcia
It is bass module Posted Image
?

Right! Thanks, I forgot the marketing term and I didn't want to visit Bose's website to check (I'm not near a shower and/or anti-bacterial soap at present). Posted Image

#14 of 18 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted November 30 2006 - 02:41 AM

I don't get it. This is Richard's last post before starting this thread:

http://www.hometheat....26#post3026426

I guess he's just fooling around.

#15 of 18 Chris Dias

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted December 04 2006 - 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan
... Who signs up here and doesn't post??Posted Image

I don't really have anything else to add to this post that hasn't already been said. i did want to respond to this though. I've been here for 7 years now, and I don;t even think I've cracked 200 posts yet I'm reading this almost every day. Some people just like to listen and speak up only once in a while.

Chris

#16 of 18 RichardJB

RichardJB

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 09:49 AM

Sorry,,in my search for a quality 5.1 system I happened to ask my coworkers
what they thought and they all say "you should try Bose" so I remember all the negative posts about Bose and I asked the queastion for responces so I could show them all that Bose is not that great. Thank you and sorry for the
confusion.

#17 of 18 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai
Come on now Jeff. What does frequency response matter these days? Check out Stereophile's review of the $40K+ Zanden on their webpage.

Interesting. Zanden blames much of it on a faulty unit, though problems with jitter still remain. Puzzling, as the I2S interface is supposed to eliminate jitter-- i guess you still can't buy gear on tech specs alone.

Fremer still thinks that the defective component was up to par, though he admits that he doesn't need bass
Quote:

Having reviewed Zanden's original phono preamplifier and heard whole-system presentations at audio shows, I didn't go into the review expecting Krell-like bass performance, and when I didn't get it from the first sample, I wasn't surprised. Even though the first sample's bottom-end performance was not what I'd call robust, I found the textures cleanly rendered and satisfying in the context of the overall sound. When the defective sample was returned, I reached the same conclusion. There wasn't wallop, but there was enough information and nuance to carry the less than weighty presentation. Still, I probably should have made more of this in the original review.

But some frequencies are more important than others. I am sure that we are quite familiar with he need for low bass in an action film, but it's less important than the midrange for certain types of music.
Quote:
All I can surmise is that the apparent discrepancy comes from the fact that the 5000 Signature actually performs quite well in the critical midrange. When you play music with strong midrange content, that quality is what you will hear. Yes, its measured shortfalls in performance below 100Hz and above 10kHz are relatively severe, but music with strong content in those regions is relatively rare.

Bose's hole, if you take those frequency graphs seriously, is well inside this midrange. Some might note that the whole purpose of a well designed crossover is to sum to a flat response, and it's not clear if it does, or does not. In any event, it's placed unusually high.

#18 of 18 frogpond

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted December 05 2006 - 01:56 AM

Yes, I too thought Bose was great a few years ago. I thought 'Wow, what great sound out of little speakers'. Of course being in the video/film industry you would've thought I knew better but HT was all new to me. Then a friend showed me the way. Then I started realizing what I was missing and now here I am with a SVS SBS-01 which is only five months old and already I'm jonsing for the MTS line or some other mid tower line.

Back to Speakers, Subwoofers & Headphones

Forum Nav Content I Follow