What's new

The Mummy (1932) 75th - Want a DVD? (1 Viewer)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Fangoria.com is reporting today that Universal was disappointed with the sales of the 75th anniversary DVD release of Dracula and Frankenstein. They are reluctant to give such a DVD release to The Mummy next year. However, you can email Universal to support this release. The email is [email protected] and you have until December 1st to respond. Full article here:

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=3234

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
What does Universal expect? This is the THIRD time they've released these movies to DVD. Why don't they just spend that money and effort in finishing off sets of Universal horror movies that have NEVER been on disc??

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I agree with Joe. The first DVD of THE MUMMY was just fine; the second was worth it to get the other films as well. What could possibly be the draw of a third release? I highly doubt they're going to do a full-blown Lowry-style restoration, which would be the only possible reason I'd consider picking it up.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I'm with Joe.
While I'm glad they cleaned up Dracula and added Universal Horrors - there wasn't a lot more to these releases that hadn't been done before. I'll support efforts like the DeMille, Crosby, Grant, Fields, Dietrich, Lombard (!), West, sets because they're putting out product that hasn't been released for the umpteen-time. (uncharacteristic rant, over.)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I agree with the above replies. Universal went to the well once to often with the latest Drac. & Frankie discs. They may be the best yet, but for as often as I watch them, I had no reason to replace my current discs.

I'll continue to support Universal's catalog purge as long as they stay away from the double/triple dipping and avoid the evil DVD-18s. I can't wait for the upcoming W.C. Fields Vol. 2 and hold out hope for a Billy Wilder collection including "The Major & The Minor", "Five Graves to Cairo" & "A Foreign Affair".

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'm the odd man out in that I disagree with the above posts. I thought the dramatic increase in picture quality on both 75th Anniversary Editions (and corrected audio on Dracula) were MORE than worth the money. And I was REALLY hoping to get both The Mummy and The Bride of Frankenstein in 75th Anniversary Legacy editions, for the better PQ if for no other reason.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I would like to see a BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN release, but I think THE MUMMY is fine on the current Legacy set. Having said that, I know I'd probably buy it if Universal reissued it again. But I'm with Joe. Release some films that haven't made it to DVD yet. Personally, I'd love to see ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and some of the other early Paramount horrors that Universal owns.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
Add my name too....the list of people who feel that triple-dripping is not a intelligent method of making money.

I have and continue to enjoy the first group of Universal Horror issues, and I don't know if any of the subsequent issues are worth my money. Even "Bride Of Frankenstein" looks good to me.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Well, I didn't think the second batch was as bad when you consider the inclusion of such gems as The Invisible Agent on the Invisible Man Legacy Collection and the other new-to-DVD titles which to my mind made it more than just your average double dip.
I also agree with Larry that Island of Lost Souls would be far higher on my list than another version of Frankenstein (which, frankly, didn't look any different to me than the last two versions...).

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'd rather send an e-mail to Universal asking them to release Horror films that haven't made it onto DVD one time, let alone three times.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up The Mummy Legacy Collection while browsing the shelves. I don't recall seeing any advertising regarding its release. I could be clueless at times and certainly don't read every post on the forum but maybe Universal should be looking into some banner ads on HTF :rolleyes

SteveJKo

Second Unit

John, I agree that quality picture and sound is the ultimate goal, but how about they do it right the first time out? I am just so sick of the double and triple (is there quadruple out there too?) dipping the studios try and get away with, with the excuse that THIS RELEASE is so much better than the last one or two. If I had employees who took three times to do their job right, I'd be hiring a whole new staff.

And while Universal is the subject at hand, how about instead of selling us the '30's monsters again, we get a correct aspect ratio release of "Collosus: the Forbin Project", since, wonder of wonders, the first one is WRONG (pan n' scan instead of panavision 2.35:1).

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Do I think Universal should do 75th Anniversary editions of Mummy and Bride? No. But would I buy them if they did? Yeah. But like everyone else here, I'd much rather see unreleased films get top priority.

Danny Burk

Second Unit

I sent an email to the address given above, telling them exactly that. If you folks do likewise, maybe it will bring results...anyway, it can't hurt. I pointed out that I didn't feel a need to upgrade D. and F. again, having bought both previous versions, but that I would be very glad to purchase films that haven't yet been released to DVD, such as ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and the other 30s-40s Paramount titles that are owned by Universal.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I should clarify that, while I'm fed up with all the triple-dip releases, BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN is one classic title which I would welcome on it's own "special edition". It was improved with the last Legacy Collection, but it's a special film and deserves a better upgrade on its own. But other than a spruced up BRIDE, I'd rather see first-time Universal Horrors get released. And count me in as another ISLAND OF LOST SOULS voter.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I'd also much rather them release their horror movies that aren't already out there on DVD. As for THE MUMMY; I think I'll hold on to the original DVD and the two double features of the follow-ups. I didn't even bother with the Legacy Set.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Why is it an either/or proposition? Celebrating the 75th Anniversary of a film only comes along once. It doesn't prevent the release of other product at all. Given releases like The Bela Lugosi Collection, The Boris Karloff Collection and The Inner Sanctum Collection Universal is finally stepping up to the plate and releasing catalogue titles. And in a very cost-efficient way too.

And also, simply releasing an anniversary version to fans of particular film film does not force anyone to double or triple dip. If you're happy with your current version, why do you care if someone else is going to buy another version?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I'm concerned with the studio's interpretation of these low sales. Just because a triple dip of the same film doesn't inspire many sales, I certainly hope THEY don't mistakenly think there's not an audience for any of these older classics.

And I even bought the new 75th Anniversary FRANKENSTEIN and DRACULA releases! I finally felt the visuals turned out to be a bit better on the new DRACULA (but far from perfect), though it was a failure because the new audio was noisy (and I preferred the sound on the 1999 DVD). As for the new FRANKENSTEIN, it wasn't as necessary as the new DRACULA, imo. It seemed grainy to me and I preferred the look of the 2004 Legacy Collection.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I don't care if Universal releases another (4th!) version.

The question in the thread title is "Want a DVD?" My answer is no, but if others want one and Universal is agreeable, then so be it. Makes no difference to me.

But, as Joe said, let's just hope they don't take the low selling triple dips as signs that we aren't interested in the rest of the genre material in their vaults.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks