-

Photo

Private school dvd reannounced for March !!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#61 of 73 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 01:54 PM

I remember watching that American Girl scene (which was choreographed by Paula Abdul) and noticing it was Rick Springfield, and then realizing that I already had the CD!

Great song.

#62 of 73 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted March 09 2007 - 01:14 PM

Just got the DVD (and TOMBOY, since Amazon had one of those "Buy this and TOMBOY for $20.00" buttons pop up.)

First off, the song PRIVATE SCHOOL is in the film. It is the second song played at the dance at the beginning (during the part where all the guys are sitting and with the balloons). It is instrumental though.

It could be a case that it was never supposed to be part of the film, but with all the different versions of it, I for one may have been used to the other version. The TV cut is a bit longer (especially the Modine in drag in Russell's room scene), and re-edits a lot of the film, including the music. So, they probably used it a lot more in that version.

The transfer is pretty amazing though. I never thought it would look this good.

But, once again, this version is different from the TV version as this, being widescreen, crops the top and bottom of the picture. There is slightly more picture information on the sides, but the TV cut was pretty much an open matte version.

I did a comparison of the Rick Springfield sequence, since that looked a bit different. In the TV version, in a shot of Phoebe, you can see her sneakers and legwarmers. In the DVD, it crops it above the legwarmers.

#63 of 73 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted March 10 2007 - 02:13 AM

Jon, we deserved a knockout transfer after what they pulled on us in 2004 !!Lol !
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#64 of 73 OFFLINE   JimChan

JimChan

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted March 12 2007 - 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Martin
But, once again, this version is different from the TV version as this, being widescreen, crops the top and bottom of the picture. There is slightly more picture information on the sides, but the TV cut was pretty much an open matte version.

Unfortunately, we also see LESS of Betsy Russell at some scenes.

#65 of 73 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted March 12 2007 - 05:59 AM

Look at it his way, less betsy russell is better than no betsy russell. We should just be glad this finally came to dvd! Maybe a couple years down the line, Universal will release the longer version of the movie on dvd.

#66 of 73 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted March 12 2007 - 10:23 AM

Quote:
Look at it his way, less betsy russell is better than no betsy russell. We should just be glad this finally came to dvd! Maybe a couple years down the line, Universal will release the longer version of the movie on dvd.
Today 01:16 PM
JimChan
Quote:

Unfortunately, we also see LESS of Betsy Russell at some scenes.

Tony,

I believe that Jim is referring to the cropping of the top and bottom of the frame, which will most likely affect one scene I remember well.

This would be when
Bubba [Michael Zorek] yanks off Betsy's towel in the opening scene. In the full frame version, lower frontal and rear nudity is visible. Not having seen the widescreen DVD, I'm speculating that this information is matted out of the frame on the DVD.
Hence, "LESS of Betsy Russell." Posted Image

#67 of 73 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted March 12 2007 - 12:02 PM

Jon, the information is NOT matted out. Just checked.

#68 of 73 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted March 12 2007 - 12:11 PM

Quote:
Jon, the information is NOT matted out. Just checked.
"the information" Posted Image

#69 of 73 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted March 12 2007 - 01:04 PM

Jon , I remembered that scene you spoiler tagged.Im just saying im happy to have it on dvd in 1 form or another.

#70 of 73 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 12 2007 - 03:55 PM

Sounds like the situation with the Mischief DVD, where Kelly's lower region would normally be matted out, but they deviated to make sure it stayed in frame.

#71 of 73 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,481 posts

Posted March 13 2007 - 03:58 AM

Quote:
Sounds like the situation with the Mischief DVD, where Kelly's lower region would normally be matted out, but they deviated to make sure it stayed in frame.

I presume that this extra tinkering would explain the 2-year delay in releasing the film to DVD. Posted Image

#72 of 73 OFFLINE   JimChan

JimChan

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted March 14 2007 - 02:33 AM

Actually, I had both the 4:3 VHS and the current widescreen DVD, and yes, in some scenes, some of Betsy skin has been cropped, including the famous horse riding one Posted Image

The ideal DVD release is that it will include both 4:3 and WS versions.

#73 of 73 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted April 09 2007 - 06:57 AM

There is a hilarious dvd review over at dvd verdict.com, it has what supposedly went down, when the producers were planning out this movie.Just type in private school at their dvd review section to see it.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow