Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is a up conversion DVD player worth the extra $$$

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 Curt Luther

Curt Luther

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted November 27 2006 - 05:42 AM

I have the Sanyo PLV Z2 projector and it has a DVI-I input, which I believe will output HD as well as analog. Would I be able to use a DVD player with up conversion on my projector? And if so, would I really see a big difference in video quality? I am currently using a Panasonic DVD player with component cables.

I am going to be buying a DVD recorder to transfer old movies to DVD and I thought I may as well buy one with up conversion if it will make a difference. I will also buy a HDMI to DVI-I cable from Blue Jean cables.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Curt

#2 of 2 David Tolsky

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted November 27 2006 - 05:06 PM

It makes a huge difference! I've been using the Bravo D-1 DVD player with upconvergence for years now as I upconvert to 720p. Using DVI cable the picture is beautiful out of my Marantz DLP VP12-S2 projector. You can get these upconverting DVD players very cheap now, under $100 at Costco. I think most of them now have HDMI outputs so you'll need a conversion cable, but so what. I think you'll love the results.