The Weekly RoundUp

The Features

– “Look! Up in the Sky! It’s a Bird! It’s a Plane! It’s SUPERMAN!”

– Cast (St. Elsewhere – 1982-83)

- Louise Brooks (Pandora’s Box – 1929)

– Things to Come – 1936

– RH & Friends (Robin Hood – 1973)

The Prices

SD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostco7th Heaven: Season 3$34.85$39.99$39.99 - - **The Ant Bully$16.87$19.99$17.99$17.99$19.49Bones: Season 1$34.99$39.99$34.99 - - Chasing Christmas$24.29$24.99$19.99 - - The Cheetah Girls 2$15.87$17.99$17.99$17.99 - **Clerks II$19.87$16.99$17.99$17.99 - Clerks II Gift Set (BestBuy) - $26.99 - - - Criminal Minds: Season 1$39.49$49.99$55.98 - $38.99;Dane Cook: Vicious Circle$17.49$16.99$17.99$17.99 - Ellen: Season 5$34.99$38.99$39.99 - - Ellen DeGeneres Show DVD-Licious$14.99$14.99$15.99 - - An Evening with Kevin Smith 2$19.99$19.99$28.97 - - Flavor of Love: Season 2$27.88$27.99$27.99 - - Jamie Kennedy’s Blowin’ Up: S1$18.99$19.99$19.99 - - Joan of Arcadia: Season 2$34.99$47.99$55.98 - - Kevin Smith: Now You Know$17.99$14.99$15.99 - - Molly: Amer. Girl On Home Front$14.99$14.99$15.99$13.78 - Molly: Amer. Girl-Home Front DE - - - $24.99 - Nat’l Lampoon’s Van Wilder SE$14.99$12.99$12.99 - - Pandora’s Box (CC)$27.88$34.99$34.99 - - Robin Hood SE (Disney)$19.87$19.99$19.99$19.99$19.49See No Evil$19.87$17.99$17.99$19.99 - A Star is Born (1976)$13.77$17.99$15.99 - - St. Elsewhere: Season 1$27.99$32.99$27.99 - - Striking Range$22.49$22.99$24.97 - - Supergirl$11.19$12.99$12.99 - - **Superman Returns$14.87$15.99$13.99$15.99 - Superman Returns SE (2-disc)$19.99$24.99$22.99 - $21.99Superman Returns DE (Target) - - - $22.99 - Superman: The Movie SE (4-disc)$27.85$25.99$24.99 - - Superman II: SE (2-disc)$18.89$18.99$19.99 - - Superman II: Richard Donner Cut$17.49$17.99$17.99 - - Superman III: DE$13.99$12.99$14.99 - - Superman IV: DE$13.99$12.99$14.99 - - Superman: Chris Reeve Coll. (8-disc)$46.99$49.99$68.98 - - Superman: Ult. Coll. Ed. (14-disc)$69.88$69.99$69.99$69.99 - Superman: Theatrical Serials Coll.$19.03$27.99$27.99 - - Things to Come SE$14.88$14.99$15.99 - - Thundercats: Season 2 Vol. 2$40.87$41.99$59.99 - - Touched by an Angel: S 3 Vol. 2$27.29$31.99$34.99 - -

HD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoAn American Werewolf in London$23.95$29.99$33.99 - - The Ant Bully$27.95$36.99$39.99 - - Digital Video Essentials (DVE)$23.88$29.99 - - - Dune$19.95$24.99$29.98 - - Meet the Parents$19.95$24.99$29.98 - - The Mummy$19.95$24.99$29.98 - - Smallville: Season 5$55.95$69.99$79.98 - - Superman: The Movie$19.95$21.99$28.99 - - Superman II: Richard Donner Cut$19.95$21.99$28.99 - - Superman Returns$27.95$34.99$39.99 - -

BLU-RAY TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoThe Ant Bully$23.95$29.99$34.00 - - Superman: The Movie$19.95$24.99$28.99 - - Superman II: Richard Donner Cut$19.95$24.99$28.99 - - Superman Returns$23.95$34.99$34.00$29.99 - Windtalkers - $34.99$39.98 - -

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

Individual titles included in box sets listed above:

Superman: Christopher Reeve Collection (8-disc): Superman: The Movie SE (4-disc), Superman II SE (2-disc), Superman III, Superman IV: Quest for Peace, plus bonus material which includes Superman and the Molemen and various Fleischer Superman cartoons.

Superman: Ultimate Collector’s Edition (14-disc): Superman: The Movie SE (4-disc), Superman II SE (2-disc), Superman II (Richard Donner Cut), Superman III, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, Superman Returns SE (2-disc), Look, Up in the Sky!: The Amazing Story of Superman, plus bonus features which include Bryan Singer’s Journals (Extended Edition), and You Will Believe: The Cinematic Saga of Superman. It also has a metal collectible keepsake tin which is universally considered “neat”!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_wink.gif

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

"LP" in the RoundUp table means a store’s Sunday flyer says "Low Price". That means I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, as always, Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

The Specials

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! The Any Bully AND Clerks II AND Superman Returnsare available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one(s)!

--Amazon.com is still having a special offer on Blu-Ray & HD-DVD discs: Save an additional 10% on all of your Blu-ray & HD-DVD Disc purchases for the next year. Purchase three Blu-ray or HD-DVD Discs right now, and you'll automatically qualify to receive an additional 10% off all of your high-definition DVD purchases for one year. To receive a 10% discount on your three high-def Discs upon checkout, use this claim code: HDDISC10. Go HERE for details.

--I have, again, included DVE (Digital Video Essentials) in the HD releases this week (it first showed up two weeks ago and I was advised it had been pushed back). While the release date is different everywhere you check, I have it showing up again this week (maybe 11-30-06). I figure this is probably an important title for a number of people.

--In case you folks haven’t figured it out, this is Superman week on the ol’ Weekly RoundUp.

--Let’s get started off at Best Buy where the folks in blue shirts have an EXCLUSIVE FREE COMIC BOOK AND COLLECTIBLE PACKAGING for you with the purchase of the Superman Returns SE. Minimum 50 per store. No rainchecks.

--Best Buy also will give you $10 off INSTANTLY on ANY Superman Returns game with the purchase of any Superman Returns movie.

--AND, Best Buy has three collectible Superman Returns collectible figures for sale at $9.99 apiece. Regular price $29.99 each. No rainchecks. Minimum 24 per store of the two Superman figures. Minimum 12 per store of the Lex Luthor figure.

--Best Buy also has a promotion that if you buy Superman Returns AND The Ant Bully you can get a savings of $5 INSTANTLY. Must be purchased on same receipt.

--Best Buy also wants you to save $3 INSTANTLY when you buy EITHER The Cheetah Girls 2 OR Robin Hood and ANY OTHER Disney DVD.

--Best Buy has one of those exclusive gift sets they come up with before the holidays. This one is for Clerks II and goes for $26.99. Includes Clerks II (WS), plus Mooby’s visor, nametag, collector’s cup and jumbo straw. Minimum 30 per store. No rainchecks.

--Here’s a title I don’t know anything about…and wasn’t even going to include it in the RoundUp until I saw that each of the three featured retailers were all including it in their flyers! And, Best Buy even has a promotional tie-in! Get an EXCLUSIVE FREE SUPER FINGER T-SHIRT, INSTANTLY, WITH THE PURCHASE OF Dane Cook: Vicious Circle. I thought I did pretty keep keeping up on my pop culture (heck, I even subscribe to Entertainment Weekly) but I don’t even know who Dance Cook is! Minimum 40 per store. No rainchecks.

--Best Buy Odds & Ends: All earlier releases of Thundercats (Season 2 Vol. 1 and Season 1: Volumes 1 & 2 are on sale for $27.99 apiece.

--Back to Superman Week…and on to Circuit City!

--Circuit City has an EXCLUSIVE FREE LITHOGRAPH CELL with the purchase of Superman Returns on DVD. While supplies last. Minimum 50 per store.

--Circuit City also has an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DVD with its copies of the Superman Returns SE. Includes Superman vs. Lex Luthor packaging PLUS a one hour bonus DVD “The Science of Superman”.

--Circuit City has a FREE EXCLUSIVE FILM CELL with the purchase of See No Evil on DVD. While supplies last. Minimum 10 per store.

--Another EXCLUSIVE for Circuit City this week with a FREE MINI-COMIC BOOK with the purchase of Clerks II on DVD. “Tales from Clerks”.

--Circuit City also has an EXCLUSIVE FREE “Skrat” PLUSH TOY with its copies of Ice Age: The Meltdown. While supplies last. Minimum 20 per store.

--Circuit City has a FREE $5 CC GIFTCARD with the purchase of Bones: Season 1. Giftcard good for future purchases only.

--Circuit City Odds & Ends: CC also has Seasons 1-3 of Smallville on sale for $15.99 apiece. CC also has a price of $14.99 on Smallville: Season 4.

--Target also continues its trend of its own special editions of new releases with an EXCLUSIVE 2-DISC DELUXE EDITION OF Superman Returns which includes collectible 3-D lenticular packaging and 2 Superman 1940 radio shows for $22.99. Quantities limited. No rainchecks.

--Target has an EXCLUSIVE COLLECTOR’S EDITION OF Molly: American Girl on the Homefront. …includes American Girl Doll (Molly), book and DVD. Items are packaged together.

--Target Odds & Ends: Target is advertising an EXCLUSIVE on one of those “Triple feature” DVD collections: Mr. Wonderful, Michael (Travolta), and Doc Hollywood. That set--and others—are priced at $8.99 apiece.

--And finally…I don’t know why I do…but I will still, occasionally, look in on prices in my K-Mart flyer. This week six new releases are featured. Each one says “Low Price” next to its cover. :thumbsdown:

--However, I Can report that K-Mart is also offering a $10 savings on any Superman Returns video game with the purchase of Superman Returns on DVD. Both must be purchased in the same transaction. $10 deduction taken instantly at register. No coupon required.

--AND, not to be outdone by anyone else, K-Mart is offering a FREE box of Cap’n Crunch when you purchase ANY of the following three Rankin-Bass DVDs: Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, OR Frosty the Snowman. 15-oz. Christmas Crunch or 16-oz. regular. Christmas Crunch not available in all stores.

K-Mart Odds & Ends: Save $5 on Over the Hedge. Price is $14.99.

The Markdowns

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: November 28, 2006 (Studio/Titles/New SRP)

None to report.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City on sale DVD items:

$6.99 each:
Finding Neverland
The Professional
American History X
Constantine
The Untouchables: Special Collector's Edition
Face/Off
Saturday Night Fever
The Parent Trap: Special Double Trouble Edition
Antz
Payback
SAW (Blade Edition)
The Butterfly Effect
The Count Of Monte Cristo
Shaolin Soccer
The Italian Job (2003)
We Were Soldiers
An Office & A Gentleman
The Hunt For Red October (1st Pressing)
North Country
Varsity Blues
The Minority Report
Equilibrium
Eurotrip: Unrated
Zoolander
The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants
Miss Congeniality 2
The Truman Show: Special Edition
King Arthur: Extended Unrated Edition

$9.99 each:
It's A Wonderful Life: 60TH Anniversary dition
Home Alone: Family Fun Edition
The Happy Elf
How The Grinch Stole Christmas: 50th Birthday Deluxe Edition
Miracle On 34th Street: Special Edition
The Santa Clause: Special Edition
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Anastasia: Family Fun Edition
Nanny McPhee
Dora's Christmas!
The March Of The Penguins
Harry Potter: Goblet Of Fire
Madagascar
School House Rock

DVD Sets:
Smallville: Season 1 / 2 / 3 $15.99 each
Smallville: Season 4 $14.99
Laugh Or I'll Shoot Collection $16.99
Eddie Murphy Copllection $16.99
Edge Of Your Seat Collection $16.99
Girls Rock! Collection $16.99
Boy Meets Girl Collection $16.99
The Too Cool For School Collection $22.99
Will Ferrell Collection $22.99
Peanuits Holiday Collection $22.99
The Cruise Missile Collection $22.99
The Extreme Comedy Collection $22.99

-------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

$7.50 each:
Guess Who
Kung-Fu Hustle
The Fog
Out of the Blue
Stealth
The Legend of Zorro
The Patriot
Lords of Dogtown (unrated)

$17.99 each:
Gone with the Wind
Ben Hur
The Original TV Christmas Classics
Austin Powers Collection
Friday Collection
Lord of the Rings Collection
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3-pack

2 for $20:
The Polar Express
NL's Christmas Vacation
A Charlie Brown Christmas
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Frosty the Snowman
A Christmas Carol
It's a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street
White Christmas
The Santa Clause
The Santa Clause 2
Christmas with the Kranks
Elf

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

Baby Einstein: Baby Santa's Music Box $12.99
Bah, Humduck! - A Looney Tunes Christmas $12.99
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Mickey Saves Santa $12.99
How The Grinch Stole Christmas: 50th Birthday Deluxe Edition $12.99
Home Alone: Family Fun Edition $12.99
Miracle On 34th Street: Special Edition $12.99
Classic Holiday Stories $7.99
Go Diego Go: Diego Saves Christmas $7.99
Eloise: Little Miss Christmas $9.99
My Little Pony: A Very Minty Christmas $9.99
National Geographic: Animal Holiday $7.99
A Christmas Story: Special Edition $17.99

$6.50 each:
How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days
Charlotte's Web
A Beautiful Mind
Groundhog Day: Special Edition
Zoolander

$8.99 Triple Features:
Mr. Wonderful / Michael / Doc Hollywood
Honkeytonk Man / Pink Cadillac / City Heat
Singles / Home Fries / Mickey Blue Eyes
Lassie Come Home / Son Of Lassie / Courage Of Lassie
Harum Scarum / Speedway / The Trouble With Girls
Free Willy / Free Willy 2 / Free Willy 3

$10.00 each:
Fantastic Four
Ice Age
Robots
Derailed
16 Blocks

DVD Sets:
Gone With The Wind $17.99
The Elvis Collection $17.99
American Pie 3 Movie Pie Pack $17.99
Cheaper By The Dozen Triple Feature Collection $17.99
The Lord Of The Rings Motion Picture Trilogy $17.99
Best Picture Collection: Musicals $17.99

Titles Shown and Selected Others Available

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
When I get back from Cairo, GA for the holidays I'll be going to CC for the Superman Ultimate Collection & Robin Hood (in spite of its horrid price). I guess I'll also be bringing last weeks receipt for Home Alone Family Fun Edition for a $3 refund since it was $12.99 its first week & is $9.99 starting Sunday.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Noooooooo!!!

The Round-Up can be such an emotional rollercoaster at times. :D

The only thing "Super" related I care about this week is the Richard Donner cut of S2, and that's on someone's list so I can't buy it anyway. So it ends up being an off week for me. ;)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thanks Mike and Patrick!

This will be a "super" week for me as the Superman material I've been waiting for finally arrives.

For the record, here goes...
Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition (14-disc)
Superman: Theatrical Serials Collection
St. Elsewhere: Season 1 (Hey, how'd that get in there??) :D

Also, I bought the 2-disc, Anchor Bay Supergirl release when it first came out, and from what little I know about the new release, I guess there is no compelling reason to double-dip. Has anyone online compared the two versions yet, and is it worth it to upgrade?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just pre-ordered the Ultimate Superman Collection. I was gonna grab Robin Hood too, but BF took more than a chunk of out my disposable income. Plus, I need some money in case of an impending move...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

St. Elsewhere is a really big title for me this week. I know there are several Fox TV-on-DVD customers who are concerned about their inability to stick with their series (Hill Street Blues & NYPD Blue). It is my hope that a huge fan base turns out for St. Elsewhere and carries the day for all six seasons! St. Elsewhere is some of the best written and acted television ever to grace the small screen (IMHO).

Missed Superman Returns in the theaters. I am mostly interested to see how they incorporated the elements of the first couple of movies (especially Brando and the Williams theme) into the new release and see how current fx work on the man of steel.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thanks Mike and Patrick!

Wow what a week! Superman The Movie, Superman II Donner Cut, and Superman Returns all on BD this week.

Plus I plan to pick up:
Baby Einstein: Baby Santa's Music Box (for the little one in the house)
How The Grinch Stole Christmas: 50th Birthday Deluxe Edition (...and plan to tell the wife this is for the little one too but it's really for me :D)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am also getting the superman boxset. the 14 discs.

I must also remind everyone there is a docmentary called You will Believe.. its on the 14 disc set only and includes new interview with cast and crew about the 4 christopher reeve movies.
I would also suggest watching the theatre version of superman 2 before you watch the donner cut, if you have not seen that version in a while.
other then that..

Enjoy the set.
Jacob

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
The movie is a decent reboot of the franchise IMO, but there is something that holds it back from being truly great. It definitely pays homage to the first two Reeve films (sometimes slavishly so) but it doesn't quite soar (no pun intended) the way those films did. The special effect are top-notch, btw, but there is a "been there, done that" feel to the overall story that I think brings the film down. Although Kevin Spacey is fine in the role, I thought the Lex Luthor portion in particular was a mistake and is nothing more than a watered-down rehash of what we've seen before. I think when Warner Bros. rebooted Batman they were wise to not do it using the Joker. Why they felt it necessary to include Lex Luthor in this film is a big puzzle to me.

Whoops! I just realized this is being posted in the RoundUp. :eek:

Sorry about that.

And now... back to our regularly scheduled weekly sales chat. ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
just superman for this week.

heh, yes. the ult box and the 2 hd dvd supes that are not combo hd dvd.

also i am getting st elswhere.

this is my holy grail home video release.
there is nothing i have wanted to be available more then this.

we better get all 6 seasons.

i have all the tapes columbia house released a few years ago.
oddly with those is they only released about 2 1/2 seasons then stopped.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I still dont know what I'm going to do about Superman... I definitely want Returns and Donner Cut but the collector in me wants to get the boxed set even if I'll never watch III or IV (definitely not IV). I have the original SUPERMAN release.

-paul

Brian L D

Agent
Clerks II and the Superman Ultimate Collection for me this week. I hope WB does a quick exchange for the 2 bad discs in the collection (Superman 1 theatrical cut not having the original sound mix and Superman 3 being the wrong disc).

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator

Uhmmm... excuse me? What? Where? Link please?

In case you couldn't figure it out, I've ordered the Ultimate Collection from B&N thanks to the 25% off coupon in another thread (under $50 shipped), and am now concerned.

Probably Clerks II and An Evening w/ Kevin Smith II later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks