What's new

Did I make a good 1080p Purchase? (1 Viewer)

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys i bought a new 56in 1080p TV from Comp Usa last night.

Its normally 2599 and i got it for 1799 for the black friday deal.

Is this a good TV for the money or is there a better one in this price range.

Its being shipped to the store now so i can return if its not a good set.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...rojection_HDTV

Edited link, had wrong TV there.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I think you made a very good purchase as long as you like DLP. If you're one of the people who are really bothered by the rainbow effect it may not be the best purchase. Otherwise, I think you'll be pleased.

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator

I am not even sure what the rainbow effect it to be honest.

I have a PS3 so i will be playing many games on this TV as well as blu-ray DVDS.

What else could i go with since i play many games... i cant use plasma i hear because of burn in.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Does it have 1080p HDCP compliant input? If not, then most likely no you did not make a good 1080p purchase.

Without 1080p input on the TV, the Blue Ray DVD player has to send over 1080i and on average, fewer than 1 in 20 TV's offered for sale in 2006 convert 1080i to 1080p well.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/hdtvnot.htm

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator

NOt sure exactly about this but maybe someone can elaborate.

Does this mean anything below?

"Tru1080p™ Processing
Keep your signal the way it was meant to be seen. Mitsubishi’s Tru1080p™ Processing maintains 1080p high definition signals as 1080p from beginning to end. All 1080p DVI-I, HDMI™, IEEE 1394 and 1080p Broadcast signals are passed through with no down conversions. The advancements of 1080p DLP® technology for HDTV viewing deliver over 2 million pixels to you on-screen for a full and true 1920 x 1080 resolution. With Mitsubishi 1080p DLP® HDTVs, you can experience the best that high definition has to offer today and be ready to enjoy all of the 1080p sources that are on the horizon."

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
The 731 is a good set... but I have the 732 and it is much much better. The 732 has the PerfectColor and PerfectTint, as well as Deep Field imager, and another component input.

I think for the difference between the 731 and the 732, get the 732. Just be aware what you are buying is what you want is all I can say :)

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
>>> Tru1080p (tm) Processing

Ideally a 1080p TV should be able to accept 1080p (remember the strong suggestion for having 1080p HDCP compliant input capability) and put that on the 1080p screen unchanged.

I believe that most 1080p models with 1080p input do that so Tru1080p is just a fancy name for something that is already quite proliferous.

There are some models (I don[t know which) that process everything that is input, possibly downconverting, possibly degrading it, even if the input fits on the screen without processing (scaling, upconversion, downconversion).

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator

Where did you get the 732 model and how much more is it. Does it have this HDMC thing the other guy is talking about?

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I see th e 732 model at vanns.com for 2299 with free shipping and a free remote.

I may cancel my 731 order if you think this is a much better set. Also though what made the comp usa deal good is that i am supposed to get a free xbox with the purchase but they are giving me a hard time.

If i am now in the 2300 dollar range do you think this is the best DLP 1080p i can get?

Thanks guys, this is a big purchase for me so i want to make sure i spend my money well.

Neal_C

Second Unit
I think that price for that set is a good deal. If you don't really know what the rainbow effect is then don't worry about it.

As far as the free Xbox 360 goes, don't let them give you any hard time about it. Go in there and demand it.

Neal_C

Second Unit
I think the website did say "participating stores". Did they indicate they were participating when you bought it Thursday night? I'd take it up the chain of command. If the store manager won't work with you, take it to corporate. If you can't get it resolved in the 21 day return window, go shop other stores with your Compusa receipt, find someone to price match it, then go dump the tv back at Compusa, tell the manager congratulations for losing a sale and then go pick up the tv at the other store.

Thats just what I would do.

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Neal,

I may actaully take the advice of the other poster in this thread and go with the next step up model "The 732". I can get it for 2199 with free shipping, its a little more but from what i have read it seems to be a better buy.

I am actually researching now if there is a better 57 in 1080p DLP in that price range as we speak.

If anyone knows of a better DLP for around 2199 let me know,.

Thanks

Neal_C

Second Unit
Mitsubishi makes very good DLP sets. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

For 400 bucks the next model up is probably a very good upgrade.

Either way atleast you can force the store to lose your sale.

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator

Does the Mitsubishi have that HDCP the other fellow on this thread was talking about?

Also this is a true1080p correct? not some upconversion ?

Neal_C

Second Unit
Yes, the hdmi inputs on the 732 should be HDCP compliant.

And yes, the 732 will accept a 1080p signal.

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Not sure what HDMC is.. but the HDMI on my 732 will accept 1080p signals...

I got a steal on mine at HHGregg for $1950 :D :D

And honestly, I don't think there is another TV out there that can smoke this 57 incher, except maybe the Diamond series.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks