What's new

First Reciever you owned (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Mine was a Pioneer under their Centrex (sp?) line I think made in 1978. It had a built in 8 track player, and the speaker outputs were RCA cables. Funny, I though it was pretty high end since it did not have a built in turntable (like many others at that competing price back then) so I used a seperate standalone BSR turntable and thought I was getting much superior sound since they were "seperates" to me. Hey, I was only 12 or 13.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
My first real receiver was purchased new around 1978/9. It was a 10-watt per channel stereo receiver, a Realistic from Radio Shack. I think I paid $99 or $110 for it. It could crank Boston songs like crazy ... well, with lots of distortion I guess.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
First one I bought was a Fisher RS-245. The first one I saw that had a digital display (how cool was that!). Served me well for a few years, or so I thought. Next was one of those huge Kenwood rack systems with the gigantic towers and fake pre/pro amp, dual cassette deck, turn table, etc. (Home Theater in a Crate?) But my first avr was an Aiwa DV-75 in January of 2000.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
eh.. do I count the first one I had or the first one I bought?

Had some crap Sherwood stereo thing that I then added an outboard Dolby Surround processor to (internal amps for the rear.) Upgraded (not really) to a Sony DPL unit.

Upgraded the speakers (to my current ones) and watched the smoke come out of the Sony, and got into my now fairly long-lasting relationship with Yamaha. (First Yamaha I got is still in service, driving the PC's sound; an oldish RX-V870 that I got on the bargin table at then-Bryn Mawr.)

Leo

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
My 1st was from Kmart. 2nd was a 25 watt per channel Kenwood. then a 80 watt per ch Realistic. then a 110 w per ch pioneer amp. 20 yrs later i still have the Pioneer A9 amp. thinking about Ebaying it, but shipping probably cost more them i would get for the amp.

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
My 1st was from Kmart. 2nd was a 25 watt per channel Kenwood. then a 80 watt per ch Realistic. then a 110 w per ch pioneer amp. 20 yrs later i still have the Pioneer A9 amp. thinking about Ebaying it, but shipping probably cost more then i would get for the amp.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
My one first was a Yamaha RXV995. I never had any stereo receivers or anything like that. I wasn't into music much back then not to mention HT.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
1980. A SEARS all-in-one stereo with AM/FM turntable, cassette, 8-track. The works. I used to do home radio shows on it since I could record all sources into cassette, including 2 mic hook ups. Oh, the fun!

The first I had access to was a stereo I still have. My dad bought it in the 60s when he was in the military. The turntable don't work unfortunately, but everything else does. Nice oldie. You could probably drop that thing from the roof and if it didn't break apart it'd definately still work. All these years and I can't remember the name of it, heh...I'll edit this later on when I'm at home.

EDIT: SSS (logo in a circle). Symphonic Solid-state Stereophonic multiplier. Ain't that clever? :D Thing still works fine, with all the original knobs and whatnot. I mainly use it to drive the speakers (also original) for CD music.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
First receiver in my room was a hand-me-down from my old man when he gave me his 1974 Marantz 4430 Quad Receiver which I still own and use in the office.

First receiver I purchased was a Teac 200W/ch receiver with graphic equalizer on the face plate. Recently retired it from the family room when stereo mode was fried and would only work in mono. In it's place I brought up my Yamaha RX-V540 and speakers from my basement home theater giving me a chance to upgrade my home theater audio.

Last purchase I made was a Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
First one I bought was a crappy Sony stereo receiver :frowning: It was all I could afford at the time. That was quickly replaced by a higher model Sony pro logic receiver that lasted me a few years until I could afford something decent. Then I stepped up to Marantz and I have been a Marantz owner ever since - 2 amps, 4 receivers and 2 integrated amps.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I bought my first receiver in 1996 for $300 as part of an RCA home theater in a box system. I've made countless upgrades over the past decade but that system is still intact in my parent's family room.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Prior to home theater I only owned boomboxes and shelf-systems. I didn't have a system with a self-contained reciever until my Kenwood HTiB (a VR-407 if I remember correctly).

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Wow...you all started with some amazing gear! My first receiver was a Christmas present in 1967. It took all day for me and my dad to solder it together, too. It was a Radio shack Perf-Box AM radio receiver kit. I was 7 years old. It's amazing what you can do with two transitors and a crummy earphone.

I built several receivers for various AM bands from long wave to shortwave, and even an FM receiver in the following years. I finally bought my first "real" stereo from a pawn shop in 1984 - A Harmon Kardon 630. I still have the HK - was going to put it on ebay, but saw that folks were getting less than $50 for the same thing, so I decided it would be great for something later on.

How about a Knight receiver from Allied Radio about 1959? First one I got home didn't work. Went back to exchange and the second one work beautifully. Now have Sunfire amp and preamp.

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
In the mid 70's i had a Sansui which i purchased while in the military.Ended later with tuner/integrated/egualizer seperates,then eventually marantz sr7000 to present rotel rsx1056.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks