-

Photo
- - - - -

"The Fugitive" (1963): Season 1; Volume 1 Rumored To Be In The Works!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
706 replies to this topic

#81 of 707 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 01:02 AM

Nice shot of cover posted on tvshowsondvd.com Looks like this will be released in the same manner as "The Untouchables". I would have preferred a box with slim cases (and of course entire first season, to say nothing of a complete series in "Land of the Giants" fashion), but I'm just happy that this penultimate drama is finally seeing the light of day!

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=7254

#82 of 707 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,136 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted May 03 2007 - 01:23 AM

Seeing that box art brings up an interesting piece of trivia. THE FUGITIVE aired originally on ABC. The reruns aired around the time of the motion picture release were on NBC. And the DVDs are coming with a CBS eye on them. Strange how "...fate moves its huge hand..."

Glad to see this officially coming out. Hopefully they'll be nicely remastered.

Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#83 of 707 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 03:08 AM

That picture of Kimble on the cover running from the train is cool, although I don't recall Janssen ever wearing a jacket like that....certainly not in the first season anyway.

#84 of 707 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 09:35 AM

#85 of 707 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 09:39 AM

David,

No need to worry. This package does look to be the same as "The Untouchables" set that Paramount recently released, and that's good news. The packaging contains 4 single-sided discs. And I'm sure that's what we'll get with this release as well.

Gary "I would be bummed if these were double-sided, but I'm confident that Paramount will release them on single-sided discs, just like they've done with all their other classic series" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#86 of 707 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 09:44 AM

Thanks Gary.

Yeah, I jumped the gun earlier with my stupid post above (since deleted so I wouldn't look like the total idiot I'm now admitting I am by not checking my facts first). Posted Image

But, holy mackerel, you're fast! I deleted that post just minutes after putting it up. You're faster than Dick Kimble on a batch of steroids. Posted Image

#87 of 707 OFFLINE   beatlejam

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 12:06 PM

Just wanted to add my "Hallelujah!" to the chorus. Can't wait for Aug. 14...."the day the waiting stopped" (Thanks, Gary) Posted Image

Posted Image

#88 of 707 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 02:09 PM

And as with Streets of San Francisco, the second QM Production to be put out on DVD
is also released in half-season sets. Why??

#89 of 707 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff#
And as with Streets of San Francisco, the second QM Production to be put out on DVD

So they can make more money pretty simple explanation, this is their strategy now for all releases, So how about Have Gun Will Travel I'll settle for a Half season over nothing.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#90 of 707 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 03:03 PM

Quote:
That picture of Kimble on the cover running from the train is cool...
But not technically accurate at all. Kimble, after being freed by the train wreck, certainly didn't have his suitcase with him as he fled. (LOL.)

Looks like a pasted-on head of David Janssen too. And I'm wondering why they didn't make use of the distinctive "Fugitive Font" for the lettering? (Like this example below on the 'wanted' poster.)

Oh, well.

I'd like to see this on the front cover of a future Fugitive release:

Posted Image

#91 of 707 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 03:37 PM

I love the original Fugitive font lettering, and how it opens and closes as the credits change. That's the only thing that didn't improve in the final season going to color, with the bold yellow lettering cross-fading (which in itself wasn't bad either).

#92 of 707 OFFLINE   Ron68

Ron68

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 03:40 PM

I really like the cover art and am looking forward to seeing this show. I must say that I also hate the shakey camera photography on most new shows and movies, though it works for 24.

#93 of 707 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 12:53 AM

I would have also preferred a more retro design in the spirit of the original series instead of an obvious photoshopped generic cover, which appears to be inspired as much by the Harrison Ford film than the show. (The cover shots to both DVDs are not too dissimilar so I can see where Paramount was going with this). Something along the lines of "The Fugitive" soundtrack CD would have made for a welcome change of pace over the oft used cut-and-paste protagonist(s) in front of an ill matching, frequently out of proportion background.

But hey, I'm just glad "The Fugitive" is coming out at all since for awhile there I didn't think it was going to make it. So bring on this one and the other 7 boxes post haste! At least we're getting single sided discs.

#94 of 707 OFFLINE   Cheetah

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 01:31 AM

Quote:

As I said in a different thread, this is the third QM Production to be put on in half-season sets, the other being The Untouchables. Yes I know he was not there for that entire series. He was however in change of production for the Desilu pilot and the initial episodes, which is exactly what season one volume one is. Technically therefore, this is the third.

#95 of 707 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah
As I said in a different thread, this is the third QM Production to be put on in half-season sets, the other being The Untouchables. Yes I know he was not there for that entire series. He was however in change of production for the Desilu pilot and the initial episodes, which is exactly what season one volume one is. Technically therefore, this is the third.

It has nothing to Do with QM it's just Paramount adopted Fox's awful policy, Rawhide is comin out that way as well.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#96 of 707 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa
It has nothing to Do with QM it's just Paramount adopted Fox's awful policy, Rawhide is comin out that way as well.

My thoughts exactly, Dave. The half-season sets are not only hitting the QM series, since Rawhide is getting the same treatment. And I blame the whole thing on FOX, because they are the ones that really seem to have started that ball rolling. It does stink to have these being released in half-season sets, though. And I swear it's all about whether a Paramount property is in b&w or color - that seems to be the drawing line with them when it comes to their hour long classics. "Hawaii Five-0" and "Mission Impossible are getting the full season treatment, but "Rawhide", "The Untouchables", and now "The Fugitive" are getting half-season sets.

Gary "I swear I still believe many of the studio execs are allergic to anything black & white" O.

#97 of 707 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary OS
And I swear it's all about whether a Paramount property is in b&w or color - that seems to be the drawing line with them when it comes to their hour long classics. "Hawaii Five-0" and "Mission Impossible are getting the full season treatment, but "Rawhide", "The Untouchables", and now "The Fugitive" are getting half-season sets.
And yet they released Have Gun Will Travel and now the the first year of GUNSMOKE in full season sets...although those are half-hours.

The Wild Wild West's first season was in B & W and that was put out in one shot though, so there are exceptions to every Paramount rule. Posted Image

#98 of 707 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff#
The Wild Wild West's first season was in B & W and that was put out in one shot though, so there are exceptions to every Paramount rule. Posted Image

Believe it or not, Jeff, I took that into consideration before I posted. But the Wild, Wild West set was released last year before Paramount started this half-season baloney, so I went ahead and posted my hypothesis with that in mind. I think if you look at Paramount's track record this year, you'll generally find that if the show is an hour long and in black & white, they are going with split seasons (Rawhide, Fugitive, Untouchables, Perry Mason). But if it's an hour long and in color, they'll go with full season releases (MI, Hawaii Five-0). And as you yourself pointed out, "Gunsmoke" doesn't really count because it's a half hour show.

Gary "definitely seems to be a pattern to me" O.

#99 of 707 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary OS
I think if you look at Paramount's track record this year, you'll generally find that if the show is an hour long and in black & white, they are going with split seasons (Rawhide, Fugitive, Untouchables, Perry Mason). But if it's an hour long and in color, they'll go with full season releases (MI, Hawaii Five-0). And as you yourself pointed out, "Gunsmoke" doesn't really count because it's a half hour show.

Gary "definitely seems to be a pattern to me" O.

Gary, I think you might be onto something here . . . the facts speak for themselves. Split season releases, per se, don't really bother me UNLESS either or both of the following conditions occur:

1. The first half of a season is released, sales are poor or mediocre, and there is no completion of that season. To my knowledge, this hasn't happened yet with any of Paramount's classic TV releases, but I'm keeping my eye on Fox's season 2, volume 1 release of "The Big Valley" (for the reason listed below).

2. The price of the split season sets is significantly higher than what it might have been had an entire season be released . . . this is certainly a problem with season 2, volume 1 of "The Big Valley," which was trashed by Amazon "reviewers" for having a price equal to the full season 1 release.

#100 of 707 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 05:14 AM

Which brings us right back to a series that was always in color, The Streets of San Francisco getting put out in half-seasons, which also destroys the "Larger # of Hour Shows Per Season Getting Split" theory.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow