-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A few words about...™ Preston Sturges: The Filmmaker Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#21 of 24 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted November 30 2006 - 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark VH
Incidentally, I noticed that TCM is going to be airing the Sturges-written (but not directed) "Remember the Night" on Dec. 17. Can anyone tell me if this is worth catching? Who owns the DVD rights?

It's definitely worth catching. Fred MacMurray is prosecuting Barbara Stanwyck on a petty theft charge and when the trial breaks for Christmas, he springs for her bail, so she can spend it with her family. As it turns out, her family lives en route to his own Indiana homecoming, so he finds himself giving her a ride to a home where it turns out she's not welcome. That's just the beginning. From there, a charm rarely seen in Hollywood depictions of Midwestern life comes into play. Without giving away more details, let's just say that by the time the Christmas break is over, he's not so keen on winning his case.

Beulah Bondi, Elizabeth Patterson and Sterling Holloway are memorable as MacMurray's family back home in Indiana. Although it has its weaker moments, few other films capture the spirit of an old-fashioned American Christmas as well as this one does.

Universal would own the DVD rights and why it's not available is a mystery to me.

#22 of 24 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 09:04 AM

Oddly enough, JAG did an obvious homage/remake/rip-off REMEMBER THE NIGHT for one if their Xmas shows. The basic premise: Harm, the prosecuting attorney, has to take a woman thief home for the holidays when court is ajourned for Xmas recess. JAG has a continuing character named "Sturges."
Charles Hoyt

#23 of 24 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted December 02 2006 - 04:47 AM

Sounds like a nice set and a no-brainer if I didn't already own 3 of the titles. But I don't see myself selling off my Criterion's.

I might pick this up sometime next year. Too may big ticket releases to pay for right now.
Death before Streaming!

#24 of 24 BarryM

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted December 02 2006 - 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefty
I already whined about the need for DVD editions of Easy Living and Remember the Night earlier in this thread--but I think it's worth insisting upon.

And a bottle of w(h)ine(d) from me too. RELEASE "Easy Living" and "Remember The Night"...and while they're at it, "MIDNIGHT" from 1939.

Forum Nav Content I Follow