-

Photo

Junkyard Wars..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,638 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted August 07 2001 - 01:39 AM

Anybody else besides me enjoy this show? They build some of the weirdest things, like last night's fireboat episode. It's kind of amazing what they can do in 10 hours. Seems like a British invention too as it takes place over there right?

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#2 of 24 Van Patton

Van Patton

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted August 07 2001 - 02:30 AM

Yeah I love this show. My favorite episode was when they built those hanglider like device that allowed them to ride in the air.

#3 of 24 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted August 07 2001 - 03:42 AM

I also enjoy this show. I have seen most episodes at least twice. Does anyone know if they are planning new episodes of this show.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#4 of 24 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,638 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted August 07 2001 - 03:50 AM

According to the TLC channel from discovery.com, there is a 5th season starting in September!

Wouldn't it be cool if they combined (for an episode) of junkyard wars and battlebots? teams of three (with a veteran battlebots builder) would build robots out of junkyard parts and then try to destroy each other, would combine robotics with RF electronics (controller) and would be interesting to see the strategies and stuff they find..

Jay

#5 of 24 Sean Cullen

Sean Cullen

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted August 08 2001 - 12:59 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be cool if they combined (for an episode) of junkyard wars and battlebots?

It could be called JunkBots!

------------------
Posted Image

#6 of 24 Ricky f

Ricky f

Supporting Actor

• 721 posts

Posted August 09 2001 - 06:43 AM

I have seen this show, I really enjoyed it.

Great TV.

Regards,
Ricky

------------------

Please help convince Warner to release Stephen King's IT On DVD

http://www.hometheat....ML/003344.html

#7 of 24 Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 07:33 PM

I too love this show. It truly sticks out amongst all the trashy (no pun intended) shows on tv these days. However, I really don't care for the new guy as the host. I wish they'd bring back the british guy.

My favorite episode was the one where they built the cannons and then got to fire them off on the range.

------------------
Posted Image "See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK BABY

#8 of 24 James_A

James_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted August 11 2001 - 02:55 PM

I Love This SHOW!

My brother introduced it to me, and I'd have to say that my favorite episode was the giant mowers! The teams are great, both British and American ones. You've gotta feel for Cathy Rodgers the host, becasue she's an exec producer for both episodes. There will be a new host for the American episodes besides Cathy, as George did want to/ can't do it any more. Also there are plans for a Russian version. Finally, they need to film in a new scrapyard, becase they got kicked out of the last one.

Finally, as a bit of trivia... they used the same junkyard for both the Brit and American versions, but just dropped a bunch of American cars in for that version to give a more "American" feel. (at least that's what I read before).

Jim

------------------
Jayedeye@usa.net

Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
(I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

You! Out Of The Gene Pool!

#9 of 24 Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 04:37 AM

Compared with all the dumbass reality-TV shows on the air, Junkyard Wars is a very intelligent show. It has to be since there's no way the teams could construct those bizarre machines in ten hours without having some significant brain power between the ears.

I only saw the fireboat and dragster episodes up to now (satellite dish was connected only a week ago) and can't wait to see the other challenges, past, present and future.

------------------
The Milnoc
Week of July 23: "Unbreakable"

#10 of 24 Danny Knapp

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 07:01 AM

I love Junkyard Wars, my dad and I watch the program alot. I think one of my favorites is the one where the two teams have to make a huge fan to grind coffee!

------------------
I dislike Tom Green!

My DVD Collection!

http://users.ign.com/collection/danmanx2]My Game Collection!

I dislike Tom Green!

#11 of 24 Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz

Screenwriter

• 2,494 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 09:05 AM

This show is aired on TLC right? When?

------------------
Andres

My Home Theater
Posted Image

Andres

#12 of 24 Lanny Hoff

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted August 17 2001 - 07:11 AM

It airs on Monday evenings at 7 CT.

Looking forward to the new season!

#13 of 24 Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted August 17 2001 - 07:50 AM

My kids and I really enjoy watching it together. It kicks off some really good discussions on science.

Very glad to hear a new season is planned.

#14 of 24 Adrian_N

Adrian_N

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted August 20 2001 - 03:55 AM

I have only seen about half of an episode unfortunately. The shows looks exciting.

I have a question, though. Do they really use 100% parts from the junkyard? In the only episode I watched (dragsters?), one team was bolting a tansmission to a rear axel and they had what looked like shiny new bolts. I imagine it would be hard to find the appropriate fastners for buiding these mechanisms.

#15 of 24 BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,552 posts

Posted August 20 2001 - 07:05 AM

Quote:
I have a question, though. Do they really use 100% parts from the junkyard?
No. The nuts and bolts (along with all the tools and many other supplies) are provided for them, as they would be in a well-stocked garage.

But beyond that, they even “seed” the junkyard with parts they will need, depending on their designs. And, yes, the designs are determined before “the ball drops” rather than after, despite what judicious editing would lead you to believe. Some people, when they discover this, think less of the show. But they don’t try to hide the fact that the yard is seeded, and most of the more exotic stuff could never be built (like the steam engines or mylar blimp) without the specialized parts. Also, many of the machines they build (like the steam engines) could possibly be deadly without the “proper” parts, so the producers aren’t likely to leave things to too much chance when life and limb are at stake.

Even knowing these things, I think the show is great. Again, these aren’t things they have ever tried to hide, so why people are put off when they discover this “deception” is beyond me.

-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#16 of 24 Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts

Posted October 27 2001 - 10:25 PM

Not as exciting as if they were to work off an unseeded junk pile, but it really does not make a difference.

Why? Because they don't supply any brand new stuff. For example, in the whitewater run episode one team uses an old inflatable. Pretty sure it got dumped there prior to the show, but then again, it had certain problems that a brand new one would not have. So they try at least to use junk, even if they have to import it!

It's a great show.

Mike

#17 of 24 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,638 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted October 28 2001 - 10:03 AM

Oh I see my thread has resurfaced so let me point out that it is on Wednesday Nights at 9pm... I record it everyweek and watch it on a delayed schedule. The cannon one they had two weeks ago was great, that was my favorite episode so far. I thought the one team was toast when they missed their first shot while the other team got off a nice shot...

Jay

------------------
HUGBEES!

Certified HTF bike nut and mayor of
Obscuria.

#18 of 24 BryanZ

BryanZ

Screenwriter

• 1,215 posts

Posted October 29 2001 - 08:06 AM

I've seen it a few times. Definately fairly exciting to watch! Even knowing the designs are done ahead of time, having 10 hours to find the parts and build the thing from basically scrap parts or other junk parts is phenominal! I loved the fairly in-depth analysis of the cannons. It is very interesting to see how they explain the physics behind the different designs and why certain designs are better then others. I'd also love to see a Junkyard Wars/Battlebots series done. That would be one interesting show! Posted Image

#19 of 24 Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter

• 1,347 posts

Posted October 30 2001 - 01:21 AM

oops - duplicate message.

[Edited last by Iain Lambert on October 30, 2001 at 08:22 AM]
mmm, thats odd.

#20 of 24 Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter

• 1,347 posts

Posted October 30 2001 - 01:22 AM

Well, I see a Junkyard Wars has made it this far without anyone pointing out that the UK version is called Scrapheap Challenge, so I'll do so now. Posted Image

Anyway, I think its great, and the current UK series with a US team and a UK team is even better, as they usually come up with two really different ways of attacking the problem.

------------------
woohoo!
mmm, thats odd.

Forum Nav Content I Follow