Epic Movie (merged) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
eh

it said from 2 of the six writers of scary movie.

that tells me to stay away.

wasnt that the tag for date movie too.

they should get the missing 4 writers back.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yes, I agree that looks bad. I rented Date Movie hoping it'd be good in a bad sort of way, but it didn't even succeed in that. If it is the same two writers, this movie is in trouble.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Why?

The big problem with these modern spoof movies is just the fact that they have no life outside of the movies they are taking off, because the jokes are too specific to the films they are doing. Compare these with, say, Airplane, which is bloody funny regardless of whether you've seen films like Airport, because they actually have real jokes that would be funny in any movie, and the fact that they may resemble another film is not all that relevant.

Plus, it's all entirely focused on the here-and-now. I mean, some of the films in there will probably live on - Narnia, Harry Potter, (did they have any LOTR in there? I don't remember any - which surprises me). But in 10 years, Borat jokes will be as outdated as a Speed joke would be today - to say nothing of the jokes about modern music culture and the like. So when the studio looks at its catalogue in 20 years to determine what films it can rerelease on HD and make more money from, it's not even going to look twice at this. The film may make a small amount of money now, but there is very little chance of ongoing earnings for the studio from this film.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

It indeed is the same two guys, and they're also directing. (One of them directed Date Movie as well.) Date Movie is one of the worst films I've EVER seen, so there's no reason to expect better from Epic. I'll probably see it just because I'm a glutton for punishment, though. Heck, it'll be an easy review to write, as I'll likely be able to simply cut and paste my criticisms of Date Movie! :D

My Date Movie review, if you're curious:

http://www.dvdmg.com/datemovieunrated.shtml

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting for someone to make a movie that truly mocks the likes of Harry Potter and better yet, Lord of the Rings. This isn't it.

These 'scary movie' people keep using the exact same formula. Get a list of the most recent talked about movies. Grab random scenes from them and write a joke. Shoot scene. Splice them all together. Call it a movie.

Like Mathew said, bring back the formula of making a spoof that actually has a funny self contained story and has jokes that will play well no matter what. I would add Robin Hood: Men in Tights and SpaceBalls to the list with Airplane.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I agree with the sentiment that this just looks dumb beyond belief. Most of the 'humour' appears to be to just take famous scenes and add lame slapstick to it.

*wishes he had the time and money to do his own parody*

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yup, that's the formula. It's recognition humor - we're supposed to laugh because we can identify the source, not because they did anything witty or clever. Geez, in Date Movie, they weren't even smart enough to think up a better name for the Hitch character than "Hitch"! :rolleyes

Mike.P

Second Unit
Are they even trying to make me laugh, at this point?

Like I mean this as a legitimate question. Does anyone actually find that type of humor...humorous? I saw Scary Movie 3 in theaters, and that was awful as it was. I don't recall laughing once through the entire thing.

I mean, I also subjected myself to Deuce Bigalow European Gigalow, but I laughed at least once during that. The whole Scary Movie franchise/writers just boggles my mind.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Agreed. That was moderately amusing, like SNL skits during the second half of the show. Too bad. I don't think I've seen a good spoof movie since the good ol' days of Naked Gun

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
"Look, a chocolate river!"
"That's actually the sewer line."

Cmon, at least that bit was funny.

Not Another Teen Movie was a pretty good spoof.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
not funny, too obvious.
when these movies use poop. fart or vomit jokes, then there is no funny and no imagination.

teen movie was funny.
it had a plot, well as close to one as you can get with these types.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Not Another Teen Movie was okay enough. Nothing spectacular, and it had nothing on "Can't Hardly Wait" which was more of a loving spoof of teen movies than the actual parody spoof movie that "Not Another" was trying to be.

"Epic Movie" looks God-Awful from every angle. Plus, the definition of "Epic" seems a little skewed. "Borat" "Willy Wonka" and "Snakes on a Plane?"

And what the hell--how do you PARODY SNAKES ON A PLANE? the absurdity of the movie's conception and existence is beyond parody already. There's nothing you can do to spoof that movie and make it sillier than it already is.

It's movies like this that make me reconsider how much money I spend on entertainment, because that film is probably 40 million dollars worth of budget and ad campaign that could feed poor people or make life better for disenfranchised kids.

Only the really awful, terrible movies make me think that though, movies so terrible they make me feel guilty for spending money on home theater because if crap like that is getting greenlit and shoved through the colon of hollywood, how can I in good conscience contribute to that?

Yes, that's irrational and silly and ignorant as to how the industry works, but a bad enough movie will push me down that path.

This looks that bad.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Can't disagree with that, though as much as I dislike that series, it's infinitely funnier than dreck like Date Movie...

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
The studio should be thinking about long term revenue streams. These types of films have absolutely no shelf life. Particularly without the identifying Scary Movie Moniker, this will go nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks