Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is there any way to enjoy my large concert DVD collection on my MP3?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   John Pine

John Pine

Supporting Actor

• 988 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 11:45 PM

I recently just joined the masses and bought my FIRST mp3 player. I have a rather large concert DVD collection I'd also like to listen to on my mp3. I'm using MP10 to manage my mp3's. I know it's unlikely(copyright laws), but is there an easy way to do this?
"War Eagle!"

#2 of 11 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,935 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 22 2006 - 12:17 AM

I use DVD Audio Ripper for this purpose. It works on most concert DVD's. I do have a few where the program cannot read the soundtracks, though.

Another option is to use Audacity to capture the concert into a WAV file, and then some sort of WAV editor (I use Nero) to break the WAV file into individual song segments. I do this for the discs that I cannot convert with DVD Audio Ripper.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 22 2006 - 06:34 AM

Following up on Scott's suggestion to break up a long WAV file into many smaller wav files, use the free program CD Wave. You just load the long WAV in, then click where you want the track breaks, and when you're finished it breaks the long wav up into the dozen (or however many) tracks that should be.

And on a technical level, CD Wave is preferred because it makes the breaks perfectly, with no chance of a "pop" sound:

http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   John Pine

John Pine

Supporting Actor

• 988 posts

Posted November 22 2006 - 10:58 PM

Scott and Will thanks for the info and linkage. I'll try these programs out this weekend. Happy Thanksgiving!
"War Eagle!"

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   John Mil

John Mil

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted November 23 2006 - 02:05 PM

Scott, how much $ does the DVD Audio ripper cost? For some reason , your link is not working for me. I'd like to rip the audio from some of my dvd's into aac format. Thanks, John

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   John Pine

John Pine

Supporting Actor

• 988 posts

Posted November 23 2006 - 11:03 PM

Cool! Didn't realize it will also do redbook CD's. Question!? Which format would I use to burn to CD for the best audio quality? WAV file? I'm burning to a 700MB CD. "MP3, WAV, AAC, AC3, OGG, RA, WAV, WMA and AU formats." p.s. John the link worked fine for me. It's $29.
"War Eagle!"

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,986 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 24 2006 - 08:52 AM

I believe that WAV is uncompressed, so it beats MP3, AAC and AC3 in terms of quality. I'm not sure off the top of my head about those other formats you mentioned.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   John Pine

John Pine

Supporting Actor

• 988 posts

Posted November 27 2006 - 12:58 AM

*UPDATE* I actually ended up using this program instead as it's a fully functional "30 Trial" version (DVD Audio Extractor). It doesn't have the "5 min." limitation and it's priced about the same as the DVD Audio Ripper program. Also this program has an Audio CD option. I had a chance to use this program several times this weekend and so far I like it. Interface is a little clunky for a Novice like me, but so far so good.

http://www.castudio....audioextractor/

p.s. Aaron I think you're right. Uncompressed WAV appears to be the way to go for best audio for DVD to CD transfer.
"War Eagle!"

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Matthew J

Matthew J

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted December 03 2006 - 08:45 AM

There's also a free but perhaps more meticulous way to take any audio streams from a DVD's audio, even separate the 5.1 channels to their own separate wav files, though I'm not sure if such instructions or things are allowed to be posted around here. Google "besweet" and see results.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   dapengfei

dapengfei

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 06:32 PM

maybe you can try Pavtube DVD Ripper
it's 4-in-one DVD backup, ripper, converter and editor.
Easy-to-use and intuitive interface, fast speed, and high quality.
you can goto their site to download to try it

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 11:39 PM

Has your MP3 player a line in input? Then the easiest way is to just let the DVD play with the MP3 player connected via line in, and record. I have the iAudio F2 and it does that wonderfully. This way I record DVD commentaries to listen to on trips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users