Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Loss of a dear friend

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 06:18 AM

With a heavy heart, I must communicate the passing of a dear member of our family. Sunday, at approximately 11:30 a.m., out Toshiba SD-400 TIVO departed this earth. We had spent many great hours together. We experienced much laughter, many tears, and some anger. I knew that when I came home, TIVO would be there, ready to show me multiple episodes of NYPD Blue, or perhaps the latest Boston Legal, or 50 episodes of Paula Dean. We'd sit together, and just laugh and laugh and laugh. Then, at night, when the family was asleep, TIVO would still be there, finding entertainment choices for the entire family. Teletubbies for my 2 year old son, Studio 60 for me, and every cooking show ever produced for my wife. But, in the end, it was just too much for TIVO's hard drive to keep up with. The very end came quickly, with a few video glitches, and then, rebooting. Finally, yesterday, TIVO just couldn't reboot, and I knew it was time. I gently pulled her out of the tv cabinet, thanked her for her hard work, and pulled the plug. TIVO SD-400 will be survived by TCD649080, a new TIVO box, with 80 hour hard drive and dual tuners, so we can record two shows at once. Until it arrives by the TIVO stork, we have to limp along with live TV. Oh, the horrors.
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 07:13 AM

Randy, I'm sorry for your loss. Deepest sympathies to your family. CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 07:34 AM

Oh man! I feel for you - how many times have I been watching (cough) regular TV and have reached for the rewind button (to see something I missed), only to realize I couldn't Posted Image

Oh and the commercials!!!! OH the HORROR!!!!

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 07:35 AM

Posted Image
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,756 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 21 2006 - 08:23 AM

Too bad you didn't have a Replay, otherwise you could have performed a transplant leading to a resurrection. Posted Image

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 08:40 AM

When my Tivo passed away earlier this year, it was replaced by it's idiot savant cousin, the Comcast provided Motorola DVR. As an idiot savant it does some things really well, like providing a very nice picture, but interacting with it is often a trial.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,078 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 09:40 AM

My Zenith VCR from 1987 is still alive and while not very active still an appreciated member of my family. There hasn't been anything worth recording for about 10 years now though. Posted Image
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,556 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 11:19 AM

My condolences, Randy. If you don't mine my asking, how old was she?
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 12:09 PM

LOL - that's great! Even VHS quality isn't worth the capturing the crap on TV now a days. Posted Image

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 02:26 PM

She was almost 3. Gone way too young. I am selling her body parts on EBAY, though. Apparently, there is a market for dead TIVO's out there!
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,556 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping my family does with me when it's my time to go.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Chris Britton

Chris Britton

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted November 22 2006 - 03:49 AM

If you had a lifetime subscription I highly recommend just replacing the hard drive, which is easy to do. Though if you are looking to just get the most money you can for her and invest it in a new unit, at least be sure to get your subscription fee back since Tivo eliminated the lifetime sub.
CGB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users