Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Silence of the Lambs: Collector's Edition - Due 1/30/07

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 of 79 OFFLINE   Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 06:01 AM

Tying in with the theatrical release of the upcoming prequel "Hannibal Rising," MGM Home Entertainment has announced a new two-disc The Silence of the Lambs: Collector's Edition. Due on January 30th, 2007, this set will feature a newly remastered 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Recycled bonus materials from the previous edition will include the "Inside the Labyrinth" making-of documentary, the original 1991 featurette, 20 minutes of deleted scenes, an outtake reel, photo gallery, Anthony Hopkins' "Hannibal" phone message (audio only), theatrical teaser and trailer.

New to this edition are "The Silence of the Lambs: Page To Screen" two-part documentary ("A Wealth of Talent" and "Preparation and Authenticity"), a new three-part documentary with director Jonathan Demme & actress Jodie Foster ("The Beginning," "Making The Silence of the Lambs," "Breaking the Silence") and a "Scoring the Silence" featurette. The set is topped off with a four-page booklet and exclusive Hannibal Lecter recipe cards. Retail is $26.98.

Posted Image

#2 of 79 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 06:06 AM

This seems like a worthy double-dip.

#3 of 79 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,430 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 21 2006 - 06:13 AM

I've bought this movie enough but it does sounds pretty decent. Maybe the fourth (!) time will be the charm. Posted Image

#4 of 79 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,299 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 06:47 AM

Criterion Commentary?

#5 of 79 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,764 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted November 21 2006 - 06:58 AM

Definitely on my 'will buy' list. Posted Image

And I love that cover too.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#6 of 79 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,246 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 21 2006 - 07:20 AM

Makes sense. Will it include a movie ticket?
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#7 of 79 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 07:48 AM

Love that cover, but I'm not sure I'll double dip a third time....

#8 of 79 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 07:53 AM

Oh geez, is there another movie coming out? I liked Red Dragon quite a bit, but I hope they're not planning on watering the series down.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#9 of 79 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted November 21 2006 - 08:10 AM

Hope that this time they will have Tak approve the transfer. The colors on the last MGM release bore no relation to Tak's app'd transfer for the Criterion LD and DVD releases.

#10 of 79 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted November 21 2006 - 08:17 AM

But they also said Tak approved the MGM transfer as well. Maybe his memory's fuzzy. Posted Image

This does look cool though. Cover art is spiffy. It would've been great if they included the Criterion commentary. Haven't they been licensing them out a bit more frequently as of late? A Criterion commentary appears on MGM's collector's edition of Raging Bull, so I'm thinking it wouldn't have been impossible.

Other than the Criterion extras, this set seems to answer most of the qualms some had about the last SE. Remastered transfer (perhaps closer to whatever the heck the film's supposed to look like) and they got participation from Jodie Foster and Jonathan Demme as well.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#11 of 79 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,764 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted November 21 2006 - 08:47 AM

My excuse is that I missed the last release and the last time I played the old dvd it had rotted so much there was fungus on it. Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#12 of 79 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 08:57 AM

well Criterion broke their "no licensing of extras and commentaries" rule when Halloween 25th Anniversary from Anchor Bay had the Criterion laserdisc commentary. So it IS possible. Did MGM even try? that's another story.
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#13 of 79 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 09:15 AM

I'll be waiting for some early reviews to come up before I decide if it's worth buying this for the 4th time. The A/V quality will be the deciding factor. Though, inclusion of the Criterion commentary would certainly tip the scales for me. One of those rare times that I regret selling off an earlier version.
Death before Streaming!

#14 of 79 OFFLINE   Dave_P.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 09:50 AM

Yeah, even though it's non-anamorphic and Dolby Surround, the Criterion is the one I throw in my player when I want to watch the movie, not the MGM SE.

#15 of 79 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,284 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 10:39 AM

Seeing as how I don't yet own this on DVD, I will probably get this edition. The extras sound nice, but don't you think that "Hannibal Lector recipe cards" are a bit much?

#16 of 79 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,468 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 01:48 PM

Not if you enjoy Fava beans.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#17 of 79 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,692 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 02:12 PM

Seeing as I already have both the Criterion and previous MGM SE, I'd say that I'm pretty much done with this film on DVD.........perhaps on the next format.
Recently watched- Bionic Ever After?, Bionic Showdown: The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman, The Return Of The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 5, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Kingsman: The Secret Service, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 4, Wolfen, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 3, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 2, Burn Notice: Season 2, Burn Notice: Season 1

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific, Burn Notice: Season 3, Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection

"Are we going to stand around here all day or are we going to fight?"

#18 of 79 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,442 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 03:46 PM

Actually, they broke the rule earlier - the 2001 Monty Python and the Holy Grail had a Criterion commentary...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#19 of 79 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,442 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 03:48 PM

I'd bet the new DVD will use the MGM transfer, but I hope I'm wrong. An anamorphic image with the same color timing as the Criterion disc would be a winner!
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#20 of 79 OFFLINE   Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry

Second Unit

• 389 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 06:14 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users