Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

best bang for a new 5.1 setup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 drew*j

drew*j

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 03:36 AM

I'm adding a second HT setup to my house so I need to purchase a new reciver to run it. My existing reciever is an old Elite 24TX.

My new setup will only be running 5.1 so I'm looking to get the best bang for the buck in terms of quality, sound, and technical capabilities, without breaking the bank with bells and whistles that I don't need.

Suggestions?

#2 of 6 Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,304 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted November 21 2006 - 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew*j
I'm adding a second HT setup to my house so I need to purchase a new reciver to run it. My existing reciever is an old Elite 24TX.

My new setup will only be running 5.1 so I'm looking to get the best bang for the buck in terms of quality, sound, and technical capabilities, without breaking the bank with bells and whistles that I don't need.

Suggestions?

I have really enjoyed the quality and features of my Onkyo system. 650 watts of pure cinema in my HT. It has served me very well.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#3 of 6 John Brill

John Brill

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 05:24 AM

Depends on the bank...

Pass Labs X1 or X5 Pre/Pro with a Pass Labs X600.5 or X1000.5 amplifier should be an interesting addition to your home... At slightly cheaper, Halcro has some nice equipment like the SSP100 pre/pro and MC50 amp...

Seriously, what is your approximate budget, room size, intended use breakdown (music/movie), etc, etc...

#4 of 6 drew*j

drew*j

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 07:24 AM

My room size is long and thin - approx 12'x20'. Seating is at about 10'.

Movies/music split about 50/50. Movies are the primary use of the surround sound. For music I normally just switch to 2channel.

I'd like to keep the budget under $600

#5 of 6 John Brill

John Brill

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 07:56 AM

Guess Pass Labs and Halcro a little out of your range then Posted Image

You should be able to get your hands on a NAD T743 though. Solid receiver without the "bells and whistles" and great sound for music in 2ch stereo.

#6 of 6 ChrisAG

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted November 24 2006 - 12:22 PM

Use that $600 budget to buy used. You can get a nice upper-range unit for that price if you go back to 2003 or so.