What's new

Brand new Elemental Designs 12 inch 200watt A2-300 sub for only $235 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have been doing research on subs as of the past couple of weeks. A lot of research. I am in search of a great performing sub on a budget. The sub market is becoming very competetive and it seems everytime I turn around there is another company churning out another great product at an unbeleivable price. It seems that this could be the real deal and be way ahead of some of the other budget 12 inch subs on the market. Dare I say that it might even compete against the SVS PB12 or PB10NSD.
The specs are pretty impressive and there is a 4 page thread about it over at avsforum. Seems quite a few people over there put in an order for one. I am close to putting in an order for two. I have heard that the $235 price is introductory and might go up to $300.
Anyway, just another option for those of us on a budget. Here is the link.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php?cPath=2_41

Adam Stoltz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Stoltz
I am waiting to hear the owners thoughts on these babies, I need a new sub or two :) Good stuff being brought up in the sub world.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
According to them, the xmax is 15.1 mm and the driver is eD designed and manufactured. Would be nice to see some numbers on this thing.

amigohts

Agent
Real Name
Junior R. Mejia
Frequency Response : 18-100Hz - ???? 18 should be pretty good right? maybe information typo?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Me too! I can't wait to hear some reviews. Some people over at avsforum should be getting them anyday now. I mean these things are brand spanking new, nobody even has one yet.

And you are right, it is crazy how competetive the sub market is becoming. IMO, there is no reason to ever go to a B&M store to buy speakers again. Try to get a quality sub for $235 at a B&M store.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Yes, I think for that price that sub would be a steal. It looks to be the real deal but until somebody actually gets one and abuses it, it's all speculation right now.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

I just got off the phone with the guy who actually designed the sub. His name is Chris. I have actually talked to him twice now. Very nice guy and I have been asking him a ton of questions.

That is not a typo. It plays to 18hz, he said it is tuned at 20 but will go to 18 even a little lower.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
There's a good reason why eD, JL Audio, et. al. are rolling out the home subwoofers: the notoriously-competitive car audio market finally hit critical mass and is starting to falter. Expect to see lots of car audio companies close up shop for good.

The eD enclosures look okay, if you don't mind the Bung-Hole style front-firing vent and the rough bed-liner urethane finish. If I had been doing the design, the smaller boxes would stand up along their narrow dimension, with a woofer that would be technically side-firing. This would allow more placement freedom. As it is, they look like another cookie-cutter powered sub. And I would have used a sprayed satin black finish instead of the bed-liner.

Are eD's full-range bookshelf, tower, and center channel speakers old news as well?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
It's easy enough to tune a box to a certain frequency, all you need is the right size tube in your box. Getting it to be flat, loud, and clean down there is what's important, and that ability can't be determined by what the maker says a sub "plays to".

tdamocles

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom

It may be cookie-cutter...but how many more variations are there? I mean, look at that SVS tube looking thing. Isn't that an eye sore? Doesn't mean I wouldn't take one.... Seems like some of the well known companies use the same design....downfiring/front or rear port. You say po-tato, I say pa-tato.....

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

Exactly. Given that Elemental Designs is primarily a car audio manufacturer, caution is advised. In my experience, car subwoofers tend to be overbloated, boomy, muddy, "one-note-wonders" (IMO), completely unsuitable for HT use. If their subwoofers are designed to give the same sound, then…. audiophile beware. Then again, maybe they see, from examples like SVS and HSU, the necessity of tight, well defined bass in a HT context. All of this is pure speculation until some third party testing gets underway (such as by Ilkka in Finland). Of course, bass preferences also vary....

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

So is JL Audio and from what I have read, they have one of the best home subs available right now.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

Glad to hear that they are conscience of the differences between HT and auto applications. Here's hoping that Elemental Designs follows suit...:)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Yeah, they are a very high quality company. I have been into car audio for years and used to compete. I used JL because of how clean,tight and accurate they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks