Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Premiere Frank Capra Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Rick Z.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted November 19 2006 - 01:20 AM

I checked the amazon.com dowloadable interview with Frank Capra Jr. discussing this upcoming set and while most of it is pure fluff (he even talks about what he thinks of remakes (!))there are some nice things like learning that these upcoming transfers will be high def sourced this time, apparently they've been restored like the previous Cary Grant set. Too bad the interview doesn't mention who will appear in the commentaries, although I'm pretty sure they'll be the same from Capra Jr. as the previous DVDs which thankfully I never bought. And the only one I did, Lost Horizon, is not included here though I would definitely be interested in an a remastered and more complete version of the film (which is highly unlikely to happen, I mean, what they didn't find in 20+ years of search they won't find it now....hope I'm wrong).

The big bonus, of course will be the 1997 two hour doc on the sixth disc. Though apparently there will also be other featurettes.

Are there any reviews already or is it too early?

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Rick Z.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted November 24 2006 - 06:17 AM

has anyone seen the 2 hour TV doc included on the sixth disc?

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,461 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted November 24 2006 - 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Z.
has anyone seen the 2 hour TV doc included on the sixth disc?

Yes, and it's excellent. Goes over his life and all his films pretty thoroughly. A little dry for non fans or non-Hollywood history buffs, but for others it's highly recommended.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted November 26 2006 - 07:24 AM

The featurettes on American Madness and YCTIWY are new; the rest are recycled from previous releases. The new commentaries for Madness and YCTIWY feature Capra Jr and NYU professor Catherine Kellison, but neither gets into anything beyond the superficial.
Wellesnet: The Orson Welles Web Resource

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Rick Z.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted November 26 2006 - 09:19 AM

I pretty much imagined that. So where did you get this information, Jeff?

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted November 26 2006 - 10:10 AM

I'm reviewing the set for Digitally Obsessed.
Wellesnet: The Orson Welles Web Resource

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Rick Z.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted November 26 2006 - 12:07 PM

Great! As I said on post 1, I can't wait for a review on this set!

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Rick Z.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 05:37 AM

DVDBeaver posted a comparison this morning, and while the reviewer says the difference on the remastered versions from the originals is little, I think the degree of improvement actually varies from title to title. Check out the blacks in It Happened one Night, the difference is huge (the newspaper image mostly) and the film which needed a restoration the most, You Can't Take it with You has NOT been compared to the previous disc, which was atrocious by all accounts. Also, it looks like the 100 page scrapbook won't be just filler as I thought it would be.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted December 01 2006 - 06:36 AM

Quote:
... and the film which has been improved the most, You Can't Take it with You has NOT been compared to the previous disc, which was atrocious by all accounts....
...and was also expensive, never getting a MSRP reduction from Sony/Columbia's $30 level at which it debuted.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 01 2006 - 06:52 AM

Quote:
Great! As I said on post 1, I can't wait for a review on this set!

I requested a screener, but haven't received one as of yet. If it shows up, I'll review it here.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Rick Z.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 09:03 AM

Taking a second look to DVDBeaver's screenshots, I don't know if it's correct for It Happened One Night to be so dark! Take a look to Claudette Colbert's pic, the earlier one may have been brightness-boosted however this one may have been boosted on the blacks...I certainly don't know,maybe both. Which do you think it's more accurate?

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   BarryM

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted December 02 2006 - 07:45 AM

Golly....only 1 of 5 titles is new?

The remaining 4 would have to be Criterion quality to get me to buy 'em again.

In terms of cinematography, this period of Columbia movies were never all that good...not like the crystal clear quality of Paramount or other studios. Even the many of the best 1930's Columbia titles had a shabby look because they used cheaper film stock.

So....Sony (one of the kings of the double-dippers) strikes again.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,461 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted December 02 2006 - 07:51 AM

I also thought that (according to the screenshots anyway) It Happened One Night has been atrociously darkened. To the point of losing 60% of the details. Just horrible. Mr. Deeds has also been darkened, but not nearly to the level of Night. Sadly, as much as I love American Madness, I may have to give this a miss and wait a year or two for it to come out as a single. One of the biggest DVD disappointments for me in years.Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow