Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Official HTF HD Review: King Kong (Recommended)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,476 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 18 2006 - 11:54 AM

http://static.hometh...overs_76361.jpg">

HD DVD Title: King Kong
Rated: PG-13
Screen format: 1080p 2.35:1
Studio: Universal
First theatrical release:
Previously released on DVD/BluRay: Widescreen and 2 disk collector’s editions 3/2005
Director: Peter Jackson
Starring: Adrian Brody, Jack Black, Naomi Watts, and Andy Serkis as Kong
Sound Formats: English, Spanish and French Doly Digital Plus 5.1
Length: 3 hours 8 minutes
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French

(Note that portions of this review are adapted and expanded from my previous review of the 2 disk collector’s edition DVD set)

Plot: 3.5/5
As the third telling of the King Kong story, very few moviegoers will be surprised by the plot, which boils down to a modern rendition of the Beauty and the Beast fable. For the three people who have not see the original: King Kong is an action adventure tale told in 3 acts, set in 1933. The story starts and ends in a well realized New York City and features a journey to the fictional Skull Island as the main body of the story. Out of work Vaudevillian actress Ann Darrow (Watts) is lured to the adventure of a lifetime by a shady movie producer (Black), enticed by the prospect of meeting her favorite playwright, Jack Driscoll (Brody). On reaching Skull Island, the cast and crew meet fearsome prehistoric creatures including the titular Kong, a 25 foot tall giant ape who is King of his domain. Kong is offered Ann as sacrifice by the primitive inhabitants of his island, who have kidnapper her. It is her rescue and his subsequent capture and their return to NYC that makes up the body of the picture.

The solid ensemble cast nails their parts with sincerity that is rare in a heavy action movie. Naomi Watts is simply radiant as Ann Darrow, Jack Black’s scheming producer Carl Denham is one part mogul, one part Napoleon, and Adrien Brody’s Jack Driscoll gives life to the everyman hero. Smaller roles are memorably portrayed, including Andy Serkis as Lumpy the Chef and Lobo Chan as Choy. Once again, Serkis’ role behind the 3D imagery cannot be underestimated; it is his very human performance in the ape role that gives Kong extraordinary life.

While I am reluctant to reference the 1976 version of King Kong by director John Guillerman, I am a huge fan of the 1933 original which was produced and directed by Merian C. Cooper. What this 2005 version has going for it over those versions rests mostly in the talents of its cast and crew, and the tremendous technological advances which have come about since those earlier releases.

I was fortunate enough to view King Kong early in its release cycle in 2005 in a well equipped theater, joining a near capacity crowd. Despite the optimal conditions, I wasn’t immediately taken with the film, though I had been looking forward to Mr. Jackson’s follow up to his amazingly successful Lord of the Rings trilogy. Since that time, I have had a chance to view the excellent box set of the 1933 release and think about what worked and what didn’t work for me with this telling of the story. Revisiting it in my own home theater, first via the 2 disk collector’s edition DVD set and subsequently on this HD-DVD, has led to a lot of new perspectives for me, and I now find a lot to love in this film.

My major conclusion is that over the last 30+ years I have been used to seeing the story of King Kong told on the small screen, and in the privacy of my own home, which led to a lot of the disappointment for me in the theater experience. I expected a lot of changes to the story, and I now believe that those repeated viewings I had of the prior versions may have worked against my enjoying this new version.

Viewing this film on my own screen has led to quite a softening of those criticisms for me; I feel that this is one of those film experiences that, despite its length, is meant to be viewed multiple times to really appreciate. While I don’t believe that the younger viewers who are first experiencing the Kong story will have the opportunity to have endless replays of the Kong (and Godzilla) films on every Thanksgiving like I did as a kid, the availability of it on DVD and HD-DVD ensures that a repeat viewing is simply a rack selection away for most people. While King Kong was not among my favorite movies of 2005, it is more than the sum of its parts and the DVD releases and this HD-DVD soundly beat the theater experience I had, which is saying a lot.

Sound Quality: 5/5

King Kong is clearly a movie designed from the start to make the most of the full range available in a surround sound experience. The key visual effects sequences are accompanied by correspondingly intense sonic sweeps, pans, and booms. The stampedes of brontosaurs and T-Rexs thud and roar with a clarity that surpasses those from Jurassic Park. The battle in the spider pit aurally puts viewers in the middle of the action, with swarms of insects coming from all corners, only to be met in return with realistic and bass driven machine gun fire. Kong himself features of range of grunts and roars that mimics real language, every sniffle, snort, chest thump and snarl adds to the impact that makes us want to believe he is real, and not just some collection of bits in a computer. While it is unlikely that anyone in 1933 ever envisioned that the sound of biplanes encircling Kong on top of the empire state building could realistically match the onscreen action, in this 2005 version it seems to have been pre-destined. It is this audio rotoscoping of strafing runs that 5.1 surround seems to have been invented for.

And yet it is Composer James Newton Howard’s simple yet charming score that holds all of these effect sequences together, taking them beyond just a string of action events and allows us to empathize with the relationship between Ann and Kong, reaching into our hearts as she grows and learns about herself and she and Kong come to understand each other. Simple piano melodies slowly build into full orchestral bombardment as action sequences ebb and flow into the more emotionally grounded ones.

I noted some disappointment from others on the forum that this disk does not feature a Dolby True-HD track. I am not convinced that such a track would have added all that much more punch to this amazing sound track, however I am hopeful that we might get such a chance to hear one in the future. I do however think that viewers who skip this release because of it are only doing themselves a disservice. Dolby Digital Plus has never sounded better.

Visual Quality: 5/5

In a word, this HD disk is stunning. Every detail of Kong comes through in dramatic fashion. I described on the net the other day that I thought I saw some dirt on the print in one sequence, but when I rolled it back it was actually a CG mosquito flitting around a T-Rexes teeth! The quality of this transfer is beyond reproach, it is impeccably sharp, dirt-less, scratch-less, free of edge enhancement, and pixel perfect as far as color rendition goes. There IS some amount of grain in many scenes, particularly in the NYC sequences, but this is film grain and matches the stock used for theatrical presentation, and I remember it quite vividly looking like this when I saw it myself at a local Cineplex, but it looks better at home!

Quite frankly, anyone who has more than minor gripes about the look of this film (and they are out there gabbing it up on the net!) will never be happy. This is about as good as you can reasonably expect films to look in the comfort of your own home.

Extra Features: 2/5

Despite being released on the same day as a 3 disk DVD package containing even more sequences than the previous 2 disk collector’s version, this HD-DVD takes a minimalist view of extras. Also note that none of the restored sequences or deleted scenes found on the 3 disk DVD are present either.

However, the extras that this disk does contain are integrated into the ‘U-Control’ scheme, meaning that you cannot navigate a menu to find any of them. To view them, you need to have the U-Control ‘bug’ on screen and click a special button when it lights up to see the extra overlaid on top of the running movie. Some people will love this feature, I personally despise it as it REQUIRES you to watch a movie a second time, skimming through it hoping desperately to find all of the sequences and not simply choosing to view them from a menu. Even if you do find one, you can’t tell before you view it really what it contains or how long it will be. This seems to me to be a technology that sounds great on paper, but in practice the old way of doing things is still so much better. I did go through about 6 of the pop up extras and found them to be interesting; I just find the mechanics of it dull and frustrating.

Since this is a single disk release I am glad that Universal focused on the audio and video quality and not extras, making this a perfect looking disk and allowing those who really want those billions of extras to go get them on SD DVD instead. You can bet that double and triple dips on this HD release will be available down the road in the future, but it is great to have a single disk at this time that looks and sounds this good, despite the loss of extras.

Overall: 4/5 (not an average)

Other than a drought of extras, my personal bias against U-control, and the actual twice rehashed plot of the movie itself, there is really very little one can complain about King Kong on HD-DVD. There is a reason why Microsoft chose this film to pack in with their brand new HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360: it is technically perfect looking and sounding. Sure we will see bigger collector’s editions in the future, along with the boatload of extras that now fill multiple DVD releases (and hopefully eschewing or fixing the downsides of U-Control). Sure we might see a 2 disk version in the future with Dolby True HD (then again we might not!). Neither is a compelling reason to skip this disk, if you own an HD DVD drive this should be in your collection, should be the ‘go to’ disk to show off the format to friends when they want to see what HD can do, and it should help expand the HD DVD user base considerably by acting as a first ‘Killer app’ for the format. Recommended.

NOTE: I actually got my copy of this disk with the 360 drive first (Tho I reviewed it on the Toshiba A1 and my Panasonic PJ) and the box appears to be made for both French and English Speakers, tho it has spanish tracks available as well. I think this is actually identical to the retail American release otherwise, but if anyone can tell me differently I will update this thread. I DO have the retail release but havent gone through it will a fine tooth comb.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Romar Armas

Romar Armas

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted November 18 2006 - 12:32 PM

Great review. Glad to hear that the sound and video are top notch. I played the King Kong video game on the Xbox 360 and it seems to follow the story line of the movie quite well. I paid $199.99 for my copy and it came bundled with some xbox 360 add on.
DVD Collection
Xbox Live Gamertag: GunnerXXX
PS3 Online: GunnerX

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,506 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 18 2006 - 03:32 PM

just got mine today only $20, thanks buy.com and google checkout. probably sample it tommorrow. i agrree on the u-control but there should be an option to view that stuff seperately. same problem with the Infinifilm from new line
facebook.com/whotony

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,738 posts

Posted November 18 2006 - 06:02 PM

Good review Sam! Posted Image

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted November 18 2006 - 11:27 PM

assuming you haven't gotten this yet with your 360 add on or from Amazon, DDD has this for $21.40 (with the 20% off code). I have this on the shelf now and I want to check it out, but I'm concerned about upgrading to 2.0 (I also have the FW disc). I'm reading that people are having playback issues now with 2.0 including skipping and such- is this actually common?

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,036 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted November 19 2006 - 01:06 AM

Ordered it a while back...now I am just waiting on Amazon Posted Image

Good review, can't wait to see it!
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,589 posts

Posted November 19 2006 - 08:13 AM

Any word on a HD DVD extended version of this?

Posted ImageEditted to correct my initial blunder. I only want to buy this once and would prefer to pick up the EE in HD DVD if it is going to be released.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted November 19 2006 - 08:54 AM

I am just about King Konged out. Friday evening, on a flight fro Pittsburgh to Phoenix, I had the opportunity to watch the newly released extended edition of King Kong, all 3 hours and 21 min., and I must admit, the added scenes were entertaining. Saturday, I had the opportunity of watching the HD version, and I must agree, the image was stunning, the detail was perfect. How can one possibly ask for more? As my sub went on the blitz last week, and have not had the chance to replace it yet, I will reserve judgment on the sound. Even without the sub, the sound was very engaging. Just wish it were TrueHD. Oh well, given my druthers, I will go with the exceptional picture every time.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 3,025 posts

Posted November 19 2006 - 10:27 AM

Looking forward to this for the excellent video presentation of a fun movie.

I remember back in April when the "rumor" was that King Kong was coming in May. Ha! Yeah, right. Well, they were only six months off. Posted Image

It is unfortunate that the extras on this release are locked into the crappy U-control "feature". Sounds like we have less control over what we see, not more. I hope Universal gets some loud and clear feedback about this crap and does it better in the future.

However, I'm typically only interested in the film so this isn't too much of a big deal for me (except that I have to upgrade to firmware 2.0 for this disc to play and I have to wait for Toshiba to get it to me).
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted November 19 2006 - 01:40 PM

While I really want Kong HD, I'm holding out for the EE. It's out on SD-DVD so it's only a matter of time before we see it on HD-DVD and hopefully it'll get a TrueHD track.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,036 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted November 21 2006 - 09:39 AM

I arrived home to see a dead donkey on my doorstep, having finally successfully delivered my copy of Kong HD across burning deserts and tall peaks from the land of amazon.com. And wow, what a picture! So much detail in every frame.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted December 19 2006 - 07:25 PM

I finally got to watch this tonight after receiving it as a birthday gift last week, and all I can say is "wow."

I've seen some good HD-DVDs, but this blows them all away picture wise. Just an incredible presentation all the way around. It helps that the film is worth watching, too, of course. I was surprised by how fast the film moved during this viewing (it was my first since seeing it in theaters last year), but that's for another discussion not dedicated to gushing over this disc's quality. Posted Image
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,738 posts

Posted December 20 2006 - 03:15 AM

Looks as though King Kong is at the top or right there among the best HD-DVDs released so far in terms of Image/Sound. Posted Image

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted December 31 2006 - 02:36 AM

"I am just about King Konged out."

Yea I wasnt sure I needed to get this having seen the SD and watch it a few times on cable. But I got V For Vendetta for xmas from someone which I already had. So I went to BB and traded it for King Kong.

And Im glad I did - this disc is fantastic! Look at all the misquitos!! Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users