Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
806 replies to this topic

#801 of 807 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,639 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 24 2013 - 09:37 AM

I got the "yellow light of death" last night. My wife told me it was telling me it's time to get a PS4. I'm probably going to have a friend do the repair though. If it doesn't wind up working, I guess I'll look into alternative machines. I'm not really interested in a PS4, since I look at my use of the PS3 and I've really only used it as a BD player. Gaming is negligible, so I suppose I'll wind up trading off my games or hold onto them until I can get a PS3 for super cheap down the road.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#802 of 807 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,224 posts

Posted January 06 2014 - 04:40 AM

It's a bit weird to ask this after all these years, but does the PS3 do "forced" i => p conversion? I mean the options are "automatic" or "video" - there's no "off" option:

"BD / DVD - Cinema Conversion

Set the playback method of video content recorded in interlace format. Video content can include video material (shows or sports programming on TV), film material (movies) or animation material (cartoon programming on TV). Set for the type of video content to be played. In most cases, set to [Automatic]."

http://manuals.plays...bdsettings.html )

I recently watched some US 1080i concert titles (BD, from Eagle Rock), but my receiver said "1080p 60Hz". I believe PS3 will convert 1080i to 1080p and "1080p" is what my receiver is getting? Am I on the right track here?

(And just for the record, I have nothing against quality i=>p conversion. Just wondering here that why there's no "off" option and all that...)

#803 of 807 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,224 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 12:55 AM

Older thread up!

#804 of 807 OFFLINE   Jachin99!@

Jachin99!@

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted July 11 2014 - 09:08 PM

So i know this is probably and overplayed question and this thread is pretty old, but does the PS3 still serve as a respectable blu-ray player, or can i get a better picture quality out of a new reasonably priced player.  The other option would be for me to install a blu-ray drive in my PC and a decent sound card. Which would be the best option without wasting my money?

#805 of 807 OFFLINE   Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor

• 969 posts

Posted July 12 2014 - 05:56 AM

So i know this is probably and overplayed question and this thread is pretty old, but does the PS3 still serve as a respectable blu-ray player, or can i get a better picture quality out of a new reasonably priced player.  The other option would be for me to install a blu-ray drive in my PC and a decent sound card. Which would be the best option without wasting my money?

The PS3 still gets firm ware updates from Sony.  I have no complaints about using it as my only Blu-ray drive for years.  It's worked with every single blu-ray I've ever tossed at it.  

#806 of 807 OFFLINE   DennisBassi

DennisBassi

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted July 12 2014 - 08:05 PM

Same here.

#807 of 807 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,074 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 30 2014 - 07:51 AM

Just bought a PS3 superslim 12GB last week on clearance at Staples for PS3 exclusive games and backup BD 3D player (I have a Sony BDP-S580 as my main player). Really impressed with its BD playback, and will be adding a 320GB hard drive as soon as my drive bracket arrives from Amazon.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users