What's new

PS3 downscales 720p to 480p for non-720p sets? (1 Viewer)

Nathan A

Second Unit
Yes, according to IGN. It won't upscale 720p to 1080i; rather, it'll downscale it to 480p.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746282p1.html

Here's a discussion thread at Evil Avatar. Apparently, it's true.

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20881

The only launch game I wanted was Resistance, but it's a 720p game and my TV won't do 720p. I'm now not really disappointed about not being able to get a PS3 at launch; I'm not sure it's worth $660+ for a next-gen game in 480p. I don't know if a firmware update could allow for upscaling to 1080i. I still hope to get a PS3 if this is done. And I still hope to get a Wii on Sunday.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
This is only for games and supposedly there is a fix on the way for it from Sony.

This is really a deal breaker for myself.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
They will be due to the thunder it would take away from their product.

They acknowledged it to the developers of Resistance and posted it on their forums.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Deal breaker for me too.

Apparently some folks over at AVS got a direct response from Sony reguarding the issue. It was said that they are aware of it and it is currently one of their priority fixes that should come in the next few days. Not many actually believe the next few days part, but it does look like a firmware update should fix the problem.

Personally I've put too much faith in Sony in the past and will wait until the PS3's are patched and it is confirmed that it works.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
^ the multiple threads over there are actually a pretty interesting read, all in all. Not an owner myself, but still interested in this type of stuff.

Paul Simmons

Stunt Coordinator
I find it very shameful that Sony, the MAKER OF TELEVISION SETS, overlooked this whereas even the xbox 360 supports 1080i. Hopefully this gets fixed very soon

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
That's fantastic.

Imagine all those people with non-720p HDTVs who had to put up with the delays and then spending all that money and engery to finally getting a PS3 (a console which Sony gloats offers "True HD"), then paying $60 for the only worthwhile game (Ressistance) - all to find the game only plays in 480p.

That's a prime candidate for the Mastercard-priceless parody.

And Sony is taking their sweet-ass time releasing a fix for it (if ever)?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be super pissed.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Is it just me, or are many people jumping the gun on this issue?
Yes, it is a pain, but why not give Sony at least 2-3 weeks to work on a fix?
If after a few weeks there is still no fix, then I'll join in on the bashing.

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator

Jumping the gun? The official line is now that they are "looking into the issue and haven't stated any actions that will be taken regarding it." I'll be shocked if we hear anything more about this for a long time.

They said they would be fixing it, and now they say that don't know when or if it is possible. Seeing as they made the machine, it sounds to me like they will have to either force developers to natively support all resolutions, or make a new PS3 v.2 that has a hardware chip in it to fix the problem. That assumes they will even try to fix the problem for the "small group".

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator

Ok, lets hear your bashing. ;)

Sorry for reopening an old thread, but if there was going to be a quick fix, I think we would have heard something by now.

I'm not holding my breath for a firmware fix, I think they will come out with new PS3 hardware with a scaling chip when they get the PS2 backward compatibility working via software. Basically trading the PS2 chip for a scaler.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Color me disappointed as well. As a new PS3 owner and an owner of a nearly 7 year old Panny HDTV that doesn't support 720p, I struggled with the thought of returning the PS3 for a week. I finally relented when I realized that I was going to use it primarily for BD playback (and it does that well over component 1080i) and games second. Also, the few games I am interested in (Marvel Alliance, Motorstorm and Gran Turismo HD) all support 1080i.

My bedroom LCD TV does support 720p so it looks like I will move the PS3 into the bedroom if I want to game at that resolution. The big downer is the lack of DVD upscaling, but I'll live.

Sony really needs to step up to the plate on this. If there really is no internal scaling chip that can be enabled via firmware (and I've seen no concrete admission by Sony that there isn't, just conjecture on the part of people on the 'net), then they need to make an inexpensive off-board scaler available to those who need it (heck, I'd say it should be free). Not everyone will need one, as quite a few sets support all the resolutions, but for those of us with sets that don't support 720p, we really need one, otherwise we're gaming at PS2/XBox resolutions.

Come on Sony, fess up and give us the fix! :angry:

Nathan A

Second Unit
I've heard speculation that a supposed update in March might fix the problem, but I don't at all expect it since they've been so quiet on the matter. I'm also beginning to suspect that a hardware change may be necessary, and if so, I'm not so sure they'll bother with it.

I had my first real chance to purchase a PS3 2-3 days ago when a store had them in-stock, but it was easy to resist largely because of this issue.

jervis961

Agent
Real Name
Cy Jervis
I bought a PS3 and returned it unopened when I found out about this. The EB Games employee denied there was a problem and said "no its HD you just have to buy the cables for it". Needless to say I had to educate him on the fact that the system lacks a video scaler.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Well I couldn't wait anymore, I purchased a PS3 20gig from Amazon. I still won't support any 720p only games until the issue is resolved but I really wanted a Blu-ray player so that is what my PS3 will be for the most part.

Let's just hope that March rumor turns out to be true.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, after bringing the system from my living to my bedroom a few times (I have 2 sets of cables) I've decided that the non-scaling issue is a little less problematic for me since my bedroom set supports 720p.

And yes, I'm being a consumerist when I say that this is going to accelerate my decision to replace my living room set with a new 1080p set in order to mitigate this oversight take full advantage of the PS3. :D

Since I am primarily using this as a BD player, it's a moot point as my larger set supports 1080i. And the games on the horizon that I want to get seem to support 1080i/p. But they really need to make sure that all games from now on support 1080i/p as well as 720p if in fact they can't fix it via firmware or are unwilling/unable to provide a cheap (free) outboard scaler to those who bought a PS3.

jervis961

Agent
Real Name
Cy Jervis

Which is of course what Sony wants you to do because you have a higher chance of buying a Sony tv because they are the 1080p experts. This is what I hate about Sony lately the PS3 is aimed at saving the rest of the company by making people want to upgrade and hopefully buying Sony products to match. That is why they didn't add a video scaler to the PS3 and had to delay the release for months so the BluRay was included.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think you're projecting some anti-Sony feelings in there.

By the end of this calendar year, when HDMI 1.3 is prevalent in all sets (a requirement for me before I buy), just about every major manufacturer will be making 1080p sets.

I've never considered Sony to be the "1080p expert". 1080p is a standard of resolution. Just because Dell sold a lot of their 20" LCD monitors a couple of years back with those crazy online coupons, I never considered them the "1600x1200 expert".

I will buy a new set. Not because Sony "forced me too". And it has an equal chance to be any other manufacturer. I buy based on performance and price, not name brand. So if Sony is the best, and not a huge price premium, they'll get my business. But right now, the PS3 is the only Sony gear I have in my current HT, so it's not like I'm some sort of slave to Sony.

I don't have 1080p capability. Had I *never* bought the PS3, I would still be purchasing one by year's end. That has nothing to do with Sony's design flaw in their PS3.

Most people are too unknowledgeable about this stuff (not HT buffs, the "masses" is whom I am referring to), so that this grand conspiracy theory you have will fly over most people's heads and not work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks