Photo
- - - - -

Gemini Man - When will we get to relive this brilliant 70's TV classic?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Johnny G

Johnny G

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted November 15 2006 - 11:16 AM

I vaguely remember watching this as a kid & thought even though he only had a few seconds of invisibility each day, it was better than The Invisible Man.

I so wish it would come out on DVD so I could see if it's as good as I remember it.

#2 of 13 Peter McM

Peter McM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted November 15 2006 - 12:08 PM

I haven't thought of Gemini Man in ages! Produced in the days of digital watch infancy, I remember his being one of these simple Armitron-like timepieces with the red LED display, which he used to cloak himself for--what--15 minutes a day max? Silly, to be sure, but as a kid I liked it.
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#3 of 13 mannix

mannix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted November 15 2006 - 02:30 PM

they had a question asking what short lived programs deserve a chance on dvd and gemini man was one of the programs i put down

#4 of 13 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted November 15 2006 - 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McM
I haven't thought of Gemini Man in ages! Produced in the days of digital watch infancy, I remember his being one of these simple Armitron-like timepieces with the red LED display, which he used to cloak himself for--what--15 minutes a day max? Silly, to be sure, but as a kid I liked it.
It was indeed 15 minutes. Apparently if he exceeded the 15 minutes there would be dire consequences (I forgot what, either death or permanent invisibility). There was one episode where he was landing a jumbo jet and had gotten into the pilot's chair while invisible (something to do with fighting off hijackers I guess), was wrestling with the controls all the way down, and hence couldn't turn off the invisibility, then on the bumpy landing he passed out/was knocked out, so his handlers were rushing in and trying to find his wrist to turn off the watch before the 15 minute limit.

#5 of 13 Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted November 15 2006 - 03:20 PM

Quote:
Armitron-like timepieces with the red LED display

I think the watch on Gemini Man was LCD not LED. I know, I know - nitpicking!

I loved this show and really wish it and other series would be released. There have been a lot of threads here about old series you would like to see on DVD. Brings back some great memories.

#6 of 13 Jeff#

Jeff#

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted November 15 2006 - 04:34 PM

I saw the pilot movie for Gemini Man, and I didn't care for it. It was just your typical 1970s action-adventure story with the invisibility gimmick thrown in. David McCallum was more fun to watch in his version of "The Invisible Man" and even that show was lame.

#7 of 13 JeffWld

JeffWld

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted November 16 2006 - 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny G
I so wish it would come out on DVD so I could see if it's as good as I remember it.

It's a Universal property, so unless this series is included in their current list of sub-license "feelers", the chances are very slim.

#8 of 13 Mary_P

Mary_P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted November 16 2006 - 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWld
It's a Universal property, so unless this series is included in their current list of sub-license "feelers", the chances are very slim.
My feeling about this exactly. Universal has so *much* in its back catalog that hasn't been released; I'd think "Gemini Man" would be pretty low on the list.

I'd love to see one of Ben Murphy's other Universal series, "Alias Smith & Jones," released, and I think that may have a somewhat better chance, as the series was remastered recently for a run on Encore's Westerns channel. I hope that'll come out on DVD one of these days too, but given how slow Universal's been with series of that era, I'm not holding my breath.

#9 of 13 Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted November 16 2006 - 10:20 AM

A couple of episodes of this series were put together as a "feature" and shown on Mystery Science Theater 3000. I remember being excited since I was a fan of this short-lived program during its original run...but quickly found out that it was very "formula" and didn't hold up for me at all.

The MST3K guys had a field-day.
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#10 of 13 Mary_P

Mary_P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted November 16 2006 - 10:47 AM

That compilation movie would be "Riding with Death." The un-MST3k-ed version of it was released on tape and shows up on eBay from time to time. More info here:

http://www.amazon.co....e=UTF8&s=video

... and, yes, the MST3K version was fun....

#11 of 13 Peter McM

Peter McM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted November 17 2006 - 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Pannell
I think the watch on Gemini Man was LCD not LED. I know, I know - nitpicking!

LCD, LED, M-O-U-S-E... Posted Image

I'm reminded of the early Saturday Night Live commercial spoof for the Chromega III wristwatch. "It's like asking a stranger for the time!" Posted Image
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#12 of 13 Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted November 17 2006 - 02:46 AM

I remember Bill Bixby's character on The Magician had the red LED type watch. I thought it was so cool. I had to go out and buy one for myself. (A very cheap one, of course). It got to be a real nuisance having to push a button every time you wanted the time.

It was still cool, though. Posted Image

#13 of 13 MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 17 2006 - 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Pannell
I remember Bill Bixby's character on The Magician had the red LED type watch.

So THAT'S how I ended up with a red LED watch when I was 9! Posted Image

I remember wanting those Bill Bixby mirrored sunglasses when I was 7 and that it was a huge deal when I got them because they were obscenely expensive at $5.00! Even though one of the ear-thingies broke off, I still have them.
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow