What's new

Speed - Defective? (1 Viewer)

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
It appears that I may have encountered first defective disc. Speed stays a long time on load then the tray opens. I tried all of the usual fixes.....cleaning disc, re-boot player, etc. Still won't load.

Has anyone encountered this problem with SPEED or other Blu-ray disc?

Four other Fox discs played with no problem. I have the latest firmware installed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It was just on Monday that you were worrying about this release being delayed and now you've got it and it won't play. I won't have my preorder until tomorrow so I can't answer your concerns right now.

Crawdaddy

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Amazon without any call or request upgraded the shipping to DHL overnight so I got it this morning. I have no idea what triggered the no charge upgrade. Any way, to no benefit as the disc won't play.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
That stinks, Roger. You have my kind of luck. I was looking forward to a review of this title too.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
After reading this thread, I put "Speed" in briefly, into the Samsung, to see if it would play. The latest firmware has been installed.

The Samsung started up as usual, with the colored dots on the screen, but then a circle, made of white dots, at the bottom of the screen went round and round and and kept changing to different speeds for at least a minute. It looked just like the circle on the screen when a Mac OS X system is starting up.

While that was happening on the screen, the Samsung's display panel had the words "Slide Show" move across its screen over and over. Maybe this has something to do with the new "Java" software they are now putting to use?

Finally, the usual FBI warnings came on and the movie started.:) It felt like I was waiting five minutes from the time I put the disc in until the time the movie started. Much longer than it used to take. Hope this was a one time thing that initiates new software in the player.:rolleyes

Paul

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David

I had same thing happen with League/Gentlemen........but if you wait it out for a couple minutes it works fine.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Looks like they put the intermission at the start of the movie instead of the middle.:eek:

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Looks like Fox needs to talk with the manufacturers again to make sure both parties are using the same specs!!

How does Speed look/sound after it starts?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The advanced audio track on this disc has to be heard to fully appreciate it. The video looks very good.

The problems might be java related since the Samsung's last firmware update addressed that issue. I wonder if those that have the Panny are having any issues? If not then that kind of narrows down the problem

Crawdaddy

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
The Samsung having problems? Why am I not surprised? I do hope a firmware upgrade solves the problem.

This player has caused a lot of problems for BD already, but I can't really blame them for wanting to get their product out given the circumstances. It's ashame though.

And anxious to hear from Panny owners.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I got second copy from Amazon and it exhibited the same problem. Also strange, there was no insert in either package and no security stickers on the package edge.

I also posted this problem over on AVS and there are others with same no play problem. All of the other Fox titles play just fine with three exhibiting slow load with the rotating balls but which play fine after 2-3 minutes. It appears that there may be some defective copies of SPEED. One poster at AVS thought that it was a blank disc???????

I have had many glitches with the Toshiba player.....freezes, lip sinc, etc. but none until now with the Samsung except the dts studder on two early discs (now fixed with new firmware). I don't think the player is at fault.

Paul Beck

Agent
SPEED must have all the run defective!
I got my first copy on Wednesday from Amazon and could not get it to play after 5 tries. It tried for a long time, then opened and says " cannot play this disc". I have the Samsung player with the upgrade installed when it came out.
I called Amazon and got a second copy today. Generally the same thing. (Amazon sent at no cost and upgraded to one-day!)
If I hit the "popup menu/Title menu button halfway through the colored dots thing it goes to that white dot circle for a while then to the FBI warning. If I let it go I get that horrid menu with the up-down arrows. If I just play it goes until the bus in the airport runway, then freezes. I tried the same thing again and it wouldn't play for 4 tries, then finally got the white dot circle - I tried bypassing the spot that froze and it will not go there - just black screen.
This is the second disc like this. The first was Basic Instinct 2 which I returned and got a second copy which plays OK.
Strange behavior.
I also have the Toshiba HDXA1 which has the second upgrade and works perfectly.
Go Figure?

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
It'll be okay; it's not a Lucasfilm, so Fox won't tell you that all changes to the playback of this film are intentional.;)

Very disappointing. Has anyone talked to Fox yet? They're usually pretty quick about issuing statements and arranging for replacements.

Paul Beck

Agent
Does anyone know who we can contact for a correct, playable copy of Speed? I am on my second copy from Amazon. The first one will not play at all - just opens the tray after an eternity. The second one I got to play after many attempts only to freeze completely at chapter 24 (I think - after Jack has got off and was on the cart under the bus).
Is there a Fox number to call? Even at the Amazon price it is still too costly to just have a coaster!

H

Hank

Last night I was at the AVS Forum and it looks like the disc is the culprit. I picked up The Transporter yesterday and it loaded fine on my Samsung. Maybe we'll hear more news during the week about Speed. To bad, I wanted to see and hear it on Blu-ray.

I'd checkout www.foxbluray.com site and look for contact info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks