What's new

Andromeda... worth it? (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
What do you folks think of Andromeda? Was it any good? Was it too simplistic? Did the story wrap up and have a satisfying conclusion (no spoilers please!)? Is Kevin Sorbo just a real big ham?

With DeepDiscountDVD's current sale, the whole series can be had for like 90 bucks. I've only seen one or two episodes so I'd love to hear from folks who have seen much more.

Keep in mind my favorite Sci-fi Space shows have been...
Deep Space Nine
Babylon 5
Farscape
Battlestar Galactica

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I second that question! (Looks like others liked Ric's idea though, as the item is now out of stock at DDD).

I'm almost done with Farscape so I need to know whether to move on to the affordable (but possibly hammy?) Andromeda, or the expensive (and possibly overly dramatic?) Babylon 5.

P.S. Ric, this survey might indicate which shows you'd like:
http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=111863

david_hu

Stunt Coordinator
Firstly, I have All the Trek franchise on DVD, Babylon 5, Farscape, Stargate, Galactica, etc. I also saw the first 4 seasons of Andromeda. Have yet to see the final season which apparently is really bad with a big cut in budget.
I'd say Andromeda gets progressively worse as it drags on. The storylines also becomes incomprehensible as well. Sorbo took over as one of the producers, I think, after season 2 and thus he dumbed down the show and made sure it always centred on him with the main thing being him bangin' an alien babe in every space port of call as a plot requirement.
I'd call Andromeda-McDonald's Scifi:easily disposable and of not much lasting value in the end.
If your a fanatic sci-fi lover, though, then I'd say it's worth a viewing. The thing is you won't watch it all over again after you've seen it all. With my other Scifi sets, I know I'll watch them all once again at a later stage-within a year or two..
With Andromeda, I couldn't fathom sitting through it again and so I unloaded it on Ebay.
As it's cheap, I'd buy it, then sell it off.
BTW, the CGI looks very fake and it has a cartoony look to it.
Babylon 5's much criticized old CGI looked far better IMO and overall I'd go with Babylon 5 if you were to choose between the two.
Bab 5 is over-rated somewhat: It's got a good overall yarn but alot of the individual episodes are very poor and only 2 or 3 of the cast can really act. Having said that, it's far better than Andromeda.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, David.

Sounds like Sorbo was trying to out-Kirk Captain Kirk!

I think I may spend my hard earned cash on something else! Like the complete series of Homicide: Life on the Street!

BTW, I didn't mean to slight the other Treks. Honestly, I love them all, I just picked the one from that franchise that had big giant arcs and characters that changed and grew with time.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

The first season and part of the second season were really good, but as mentioned elsewhere they dumbed it down after that and went in new directions. It definitely did not have a satisfying conclusion to me. There is lots of info at Robert Hewitt Wolfe's site
http://www.rhwolfe.com/index.htm
He does have information as to how he would have ended the series.

Neil

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That spaceship sure was easy on the eyes, though. (As portrayed in holographic form by Lexa Doig, that is!)

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Second that on Lexa Doig! I liked Trance Gemini (Laura Bertram) as well. She looked good in purple with a tail but looked really good in her gold version as well. That said, if anyone was overly dramatic and way out there, it was Tyr Anasazi (Keith Hamilton Cobb I think). I was never sure if it was the script writing and the directing or if he just acts like a stick in everything he does. I was happy with the series up until the finale of season 4 and season 5 itself. However, with Lexa Doig out with her first child, I guess they had to change some things around. But overall, as far as I'm concerned, the Slipstream collection is worth the investment.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
It's been OK. I've watched it, kinda slowly over the last year on DVD rental, been hard to get them in sequence. Anyway, a bit better than I presumed, but not nearly as good as most of the other sci-fi, B5, Stargate, Star Trek, etc.

Oh and of the females, I really like Doyle.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Ric Easton wrote (post #1):

This program was supposed to represent Gene Roddenberry's take on a post-"Federation"-fall universe, spanning the Milky Way, Andromeda, and Triangula galaxies in the "local group". Although the concept of restoring a "Commonwealth" of civilizations in chaos and the eminent threat from dark forces like the so-called "Nietzscheans" (rather unbelievable) and the Magog were interesting, from the beginning it overreached terribly and I personally found most of the characters hollow and artificial. (That goes especially for the lavender girl with the tail.)

Its one saving grace for me as a science-fiction fan is that it sometimes featured some interesting science concepts (like the Magog worldship and the spirit of the Abyss). The special effects, especially the space ships, were, for the most part, terribly rendered and the stories and guest characters were, for the most part, cliched. (But those titles!!!) And, as others have said, it only got worse as time went on.

I'd say, this show is hands down way below the quality of any of the others that you mention liking, except maybe Farscape, of which am no fan at all.

It would be worth viewing
a good sampling of it in syndication, though, if you can catch it on "free" tv, just to see what your own reaction to it would be, but it should go without saying that no tv program you won't look at more than once is worth your money.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I bought the first season on the strength of the pilot, and didn't like it too much. But, I was hooked by the season finale and had to get the second season. Should have just bought the individual disc with the continuation, as I wasn't into it at all and did not continue with the series.

Andromeda is the hottest ship in sci-fi, though. Daniel Jackson is a lucky man. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks