-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How to conect a car amplifier in my home?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 Williams16

Williams16

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 02:55 PM

Sorry if this post couldn´t be here I will move it if not. I was reading about how to connect a car amplifier in home.

I know we can use a Computer Power Supply (PS) and the 12v line it have, but I know about regulation problems and all this stuff.

If someone know somebody who know about this, please post what to do.

If someone know, please explain how to do it using a PS.

Thanks for your future posts.

#2 of 18 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,105 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted November 15 2006 - 12:14 AM

Don't do it. A computer PS doesn't put out enough amperage to properly run a car amp larger than 25w/channel. If you want to run anything larger you will need the proper sized AC to DC converter. Ones that put out a steady 50 amp supply of power cost a couple of hundred dollars. For that price you can easily get an amp designed to run on AC current to power whatever speakers you need to run.

-Robert

#3 of 18 Williams16

Williams16

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted November 15 2006 - 08:08 AM

I know about people who did it in internet, But I don´t know how exactly to do it.

I Know it don´t have enought ampers but people could run their car ampifier in home.

What I want is how to do it doesn´t matter if the power supply could not .

I know it could run it I want to know how

Please if you know post how to.

Thanks people

#4 of 18 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,526 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted November 15 2006 - 10:36 AM

He just told you how to do it correctly and why it is a bad idea. Do it some other Mickey Mouse way and you run the risk of damaging your amp and speakers and possibly yourself.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 18 Mattak

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted November 17 2006 - 02:47 PM

Using a PC atx psu, hook the amp (+) up to a drive molex plug using the yellow lead, hook the rem power on lead of the amp to the yellow lead as well, hook the amp (-) up to a drive molex plug using one of the black leads. Short out the green wire on the motherboard molex to any black lead to turn the atx psu on. If using an AT psu then just turn it on with the normal switch.

#6 of 18 Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted November 17 2006 - 03:47 PM

Can't imagine that a power supply will last long under extreme demands like a car amplifier.

#7 of 18 Williams16

Williams16

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted November 18 2006 - 02:50 AM

I already did that but my PSU shut down in two seconds max. I don´t know why my PS shut off inmediately when I connect it to the amplifier, because if I donpt have anything connect the PS run normally. The problem is when I hook it up to the amplifier.

Why is this occurring??

#8 of 18 Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted November 18 2006 - 05:05 AM

Computer PSUs are only designed to output a certain amount of amperage/wattage. Say you build a computer with a 400 watt PSU and your computer parts consume an average 375 watts. Then you decide you want to play some graphic intensive game the wattage will peak above 400 watts and if the power supply isn't up to the task it will shut down during gameplay. I don't know of a computer PSU that is capable of outputing the amperage/wattage that is necessary to power a car amplifier.

A power converter is what you need, it takes wall current and converts it to a usable for 12 volt devices. It would have to take 120 volts/15 amps and convert it to 12 volts/150 amps.

#9 of 18 Mattak

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted November 20 2006 - 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams16
I already did that but my PSU shut down in two seconds max. I don´t know why my PS shut off inmediately when I connect it to the amplifier, because if I donpt have anything connect the PS run normally. The problem is when I hook it up to the amplifier.

Why is this occurring??
I told you how to do it, but it's still stupid. Some ATX psu's it seems will turn off if they don't sense a load on the normal leads.

#10 of 18 haru182

haru182

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 04:42 AM

I am just throwing this out there as this is my first of many posts on this forum. But FIRST, I have tried every possibility of connecting speakers and I am here to tell you NOT! to try the PSU/Amp thing. I have done it with an alpine F405 amp and a 400W AT power supply and the results were pathetic. A) It didn't have the power I wanted. B) It certainly seemed unsafe (and eventually did kill the PSU) and C) DAMN its hideous to look at compared to the alternative. I did all this long before I knew much of anything about electronics and as I look back I want to punch myself. Ya know what works way better?... an old stereo receiver especially if only used as an amp. As an example I have two. I have one at my desk to handle the audio for all my computers, and I have one in the main room to handle an extra set of CAR subs (If I am looking for EXTRA Bass -- I already have two powered subs... but sometimes thats not enough... haha) Yea... and the receivers are Sansui brand and they look to be from the 80's (no lighted display at all) and I found them in a dumpster. So PLEASE stop insisting that you need to do this and that its GOING to have good results just because you read it online.

#11 of 18 Williams16

Williams16

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 11:39 AM

Ok only one more question, If I connect some power supplyes in parallel can I get all the ampers I want.

Is this a good idea, or please I don´t have money to buy AC/Dc converters..
Help me with this ...

#12 of 18 Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 02:57 PM

I have one idea, actually my friend's idea. Get a good car battery and a AC powered car battery charger and hook it up that way. Though the battery may not last long, but I don't know.

Hear is a charger, capable of 900 cranking amps and car batteries have around 1000 cranking amps. It is very possible that it would work, though again I am not sure if it would be good to run the charger while the amplifier is on. I will leave it to someone else to answer that question though.

http://www.target.co....sin=B000791RBK

This is the cheapest solution I see, if it works. The parallel CPS is a bad idea though, I know that much.

#13 of 18 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted November 22 2006 - 11:51 AM

Quote:
I was reading about how to connect a car amplifier in home.
This comes up from time to time around here. I wonder if the car audio forums ever see threads from people asking how to use a home amp in their cars?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#14 of 18 Mattak

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted November 22 2006 - 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt
This comes up from time to time around here. I wonder if the car audio forums ever see threads from people asking how to use a home amp in their cars?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Not really, but some people have hooked up the behringer feedback destroyers in-car.

No, you can't parallel two computer psus. Sell the amp and buy a home amp.

#15 of 18 Alex/d

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted November 24 2006 - 10:11 PM

Seth, I got another idea.
Get the alternator off of your Mustang, buy a belt, and get your hampster to exercise in his wheel Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Or, just park your car in your house.....
Onkyo TX-DS787/ RCA Dimensia MPA 200 Preamp/ Pioneer Elite PD 65/ Sony SCD-CE595 SA-CD layer/ Technics M224 Tape Deck/ Sony DVP-NS501P DVD Player/ Superscope TD-48 Quadraphonic 8-Track Player/ Technics SL-5 Turntable/ Pioneer TX-6500II Tuner/ PSB Century 600i / Paradigm PS-1000/ Pioneer CS-C280K...

#16 of 18 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted November 25 2006 - 01:15 AM

Quote:
Hear is a charger, capable of 900 cranking amps and car batteries have around 1000 cranking amps. It is very possible that it would work, though again I am not sure if it would be good to run the charger while the amplifier is on. I will leave it to someone else to answer that question though.
A battery is probably your best bet as it will deliver the current and also is much cheaper than a suitable power supply. A deep-cycle marine battery would be what you want.

However, it will be steadily discharging during use, causing loss of amplifier power as voltage and available amperage drops.

The problem with traditional battery chargers is that they deliver “dirty” power, not a clean DC. So they hum badly when you use them with audio equipment.

Consider the price of the charger in the link - $130. Add the price of a battery, and you’ve sunk $200 or more. At that price you’re knocking on the door of a decent used amp, so what’s the point? Sell the car amp and put the funds towards an amp designed for the intended application.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List

#17 of 18 Brad_Harper

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted November 28 2006 - 03:59 AM

If you are electrically inclined then you could always build your own power supply. A transformer hooked to a diode bridge rectifier should do the trick.

Don't worry about supplying dirty power to your car amp as if it is any good already has a DC to DC convertor to clean up the dirty power that would have come from a cars power system. You could probably build a really good rectifier for under $50. It's the transformer that costs all the money.

#18 of 18 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted November 28 2006 - 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_Harper
You could probably build a really good rectifier for under $50. It's the transformer that costs all the money.
Which probably puts us right back where we ended up: It’s more practical and cost efficient to just sell it and get a home amp.

Not to mention, if he were electrically inclined I don’t think we'd be having this discussion! Posted Image

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List

Back to Receivers/Separates/Amps

Forum Nav Content I Follow